Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
whswhs

Default Martial Arts: Competing fencing styles

In about a month, I'm holding the pre-session for my French swashbuckling campaign, Salle d'Armes, and happily, my copy of Martial Arts has arrived for me to study. I've picked a year when the transitional French fencing school is giving way to the smallsword school, and the PCs will be students of a smallsword master. But I don't get quite enough narrative sense of how things work in this era.

*If a combatant with Smallsword goes up against an equally capable combatant with Rapier, which of them has the advantage? Is the smallsword a superior weapon, or is it an inferior weapon that wins out because of lower cost, easier concealment, or the like?

*If I'm the guy with the smallsword, what do I do to compensate for the superior reach of the guy with the rapier? Are there any special techniques or maneuvers that work particularly well against Italian or Spanish styles?

*Do I have it right that a big part of effective combat with smallsword is skilled control of the distance between you and your opponent? Would this be represented well by choice of options ranging from All-Out Attack to All-Out Defense?

*If you wanted to integrate unarmed combat into your style, which skill would work best? I'm thinking Brawling, because it gives you improved kicking, which seems to make better sense than putting down your sword to use your fists. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote