Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
D351

Default Some Ogre Ideas

So, working third shift and looking forward to 6e coming out has given me time to come up with several Ogre-related ideas. Here's a list. No, I don't expect any of these to come out of the Kickstarter, but a few of them could, or could be expansions in the future. Here they are:
  • I don't know if there already is one in one of the books, but a comparative size illustration would be really helpful for visualizing just exactly how big an Ogre is in comparison to a six-foot human like myself.
  • An expansion that involves Guerrilla tactics being used against more conventional forces. Weak and small but stealthy units that use traps and are useful for attacking then disappearing to pick away at larger forces.
  • Another expansion idea, similar to the previous, except focusing on urban insurgence. I don't know how this would work at all, but I like the idea of enemies that take advantage of a cityscape.
  • The opposite of my previous idea, a set of scenarios that center on taking out a populated city w/ a map of urban sprawl. There are so many potential mission objectives here, I don't feel it'd be right to pick just one.
  • A smaller scale Ogre side-game. Basically, Ogre, but closer up. I'd like to be able to see something involving Ogres in a space the size of a suburban neighborhood... or maybe just one and some battlesuits. This could be fun for a videogame.
  • Ogre-busters! Some kind of game involving sneakier forces against Ogres. Seems like it'd make a good card game.
  • Something animated. Either a video game, a short film, or a series. I'd just like to see Ogres in action. A strange idea I had was to do a series that centers around a Vulcan and some engineers that roughly imitates M*A*S*H, but with Ogres instead of human patients. Really, if live-action was realistic that'd be pretty darn epic.

Some of these I think could really work, some I'm surprised haven't been done yet (if they haven't), and many I don't think would ever be feasible. Either way, they're here for you to look at and comment on.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
The Tin Plated Kitten

Default Re: Some Ogre Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by D351 View Post
[LIST][*]I don't know if there already is one in one of the books, but a comparative size illustration would be really helpful for visualizing just exactly how big an Ogre is in comparison to a six-foot human like myself.
I have one comparison I used when I was working on the CAD models. Not side by side exactly, but you can get the idea.

http://public.fotki.com/RKerr/ogre-m...s/ogres-3.html

This assumes that the models are 1/285 scale.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tin Plated Kitten View Post
I have one comparison I used when I was working on the CAD models. Not side by side exactly, but you can get the idea.

http://public.fotki.com/RKerr/ogre-m...s/ogres-3.html

This assumes that the models are 1/285 scale.
That's very helpful... It'd be so fun to ride on top of one of those...
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by D351 View Post
That's very helpful... It'd be so fun to ride on top of one of those...
Hence the phrase, "... and may a Mark V not walk on your house." (or something like that :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
terryocarroll

Quote:
An expansion that involves Guerrilla tactics being used against more conventional forces. Weak and small but stealthy units that use traps and are useful for attacking then disappearing to pick away at larger forces.
I don't see this working within Ogre/GEV. Even regular, front-line tanks and infantry die in droves in this setting, guerillas just cannot survive against them. Saboteurs and special forces exist, sure, we know that Britain fell to the Paneuropeans that way. But it doesn't fit in the Ogre/GEV system. Seems like you'd need a finer-scale type game, Battlesuit scale, to simulate that.
terryocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryocarroll View Post
I don't see this working within Ogre/GEV. Even regular, front-line tanks and infantry die in droves in this setting, guerillas just cannot survive against them. Saboteurs and special forces exist, sure, we know that Britain fell to the Paneuropeans that way. But it doesn't fit in the Ogre/GEV system. Seems like you'd need a finer-scale type game, Battlesuit scale, to simulate that.
I came up with (untested, at least thus far) rules for partisans, which would be scenario-specific and start off hidden (the defender writes down what hexes they're in but puts nothing on the board) in non-clear/water terrain (no more than 2 per hex). Unless they get overrun by INF or Ogres, they can stay hunkered down and not cause an overrun if there's nobody else there. When overrun, they get 1 strength 3 attack (not doubled), and thereafter fire like regular INF - the idea is that they have local knowledge and can spring the trap just right. D results disband them, or they can disband on their own - they just drop their gear and fade back into the local civilian population.

The key for them was that they couldn't move in their own (they're just the locals defending their homes, and moving their gear in realtime is just not an option), and they only got their first round attack bonus if they were hidden, so they really were a one-and-done kind of force unless you were desperate. I'll get around to posting them at some point, along with all my other stuff that's still in progress... :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote