Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #1
Bill_in_IN

Default Questions about spear related weapon augmentation.

The spear has one hand and a slightly higher two hand damage stated in the ITL weapons table.

If one uses the spear one handed with a shield in one hand, do they get the charge bonus of an extra die of damage? Do they only get to stab while engaged? I didn't see where ITL requires two handed wielding for a charge bonus. So, I would say that he gets the charge bonus at the one handed damage.

If they use the spear two handed in a charge, that is straight forward charge bonus damage at two handed damage.

Also, there is the spear thrower accessory that allows a decent throw distance but mainly adds a couple of points of damage. However, is there a belt or armor attachment that anchors the back end of the spear that would help to allow one handed wielding with a damage bonus as if it were wielded two handed? The non-tip end of the spear could sit in a cradle that is mounted to the belt or some other set of straps mounted to the torso of the spear man. Is anyone aware of such a device used in conjunction with a spear? It's probably not very practical for the extra point of damage even if one is able to make it work.

I probably should have went to bed instead of posting this but the mind can work in mysterious ways at late times.
Bill_in_IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Questions about spear related weapon augmentation.

c.f. Lance rest for bits added to armor to steady a pointy stick in a charge.

Yes, the one-handed spear gets all the charge bonus stuff of the javelin or trident, but also gets to jab two hexes away.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
c.f. Lance rest for bits added to armor to steady a pointy stick in a charge.

Yes, the one-handed spear gets all the charge bonus stuff of the javelin or trident, but also gets to jab two hexes away.
Thanks. I saw no reference for a lance rest in ITL. If you know of some info, please provide it. So, the question about such a device for a spear still seems to be open. Especially if the use of such a lance rest would allow the spear man to deliver two handed damage with the spear.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_in_IN View Post
However, is there a belt or armor attachment that anchors the back end of the spear that would help to allow one handed wielding with a damage bonus as if it were wielded two handed? The non-tip end of the spear could sit in a cradle that is mounted to the belt or some other set of straps mounted to the torso of the spear man. Is anyone aware of such a device used in conjunction with a spear? It's probably not very practical for the extra point of damage even if one is able to make it work.
Such a brace would make the spear much less able to be maneuvered. I suspect anyone using a spear this way in a fight would get selected out of the gene pool pretty quickly.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
hcobb

Quote:
Thanks. I saw no reference for a lance rest in ITL. If you know of some info, please provide it. So, the question about such a device for a spear still seems to be open. Especially if the use of such a lance rest would allow the spear man to deliver two handed damage with the spear.
The lance rest is assumed in the Lance rules. Everybody on foot had a much wider selection of targets and so needed a purely handheld weapon.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Such a brace would make the spear much less able to be maneuvered. I suspect anyone using a spear this way in a fight would get selected out of the gene pool pretty quickly.
Possibly. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. I just hadn't seen any references to such spear related devices. I'm sure that something like that has been tried but, like I said, the overall practicality may have been in question if the cons outweigh the pros.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The lance rest is assumed in the Lance rules. Everybody on foot had a much wider selection of targets and so needed a purely handheld weapon.
I'll check the lance info in ITL again but I didn't see any reference to the lance rest in it. I'll also check the old Advanced Melee. If it is ASSumed, it wasn't obvious in what I read.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #8
Shostak

Quote:
Possibly. Everything has advantages and disadvantages. I just hadn't seen any references to such spear related devices. I'm sure that something like that has been tried but, like I said, the overall practicality may have been in question if the cons outweigh the pros.
If the butt of the spear is in some sort of hip cradle, you are going to have to either thrust with your hip or pull it out of the cradle to thrust with your arms. It would be a bit like using a sword with an arm that can't bend at the elbow, but can only pivot at the shoulder.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
If the butt of the spear is in some sort of hip cradle, you are going to have to either thrust with your hip or pull it out of the cradle to thrust with your arms. It would be a bit like using a sword with an arm that can't bend at the elbow, but can only pivot at the shoulder.
Good point. Even if one gets the two handed spear damage(one extra point) for the cradle, it probably isn't worth it.