Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #41
tbeard1999

Default Re: Duchy of Dran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas Liber View Post
I posted up to Rick Smith's part and figured as he is active here he can do that next :)
Howdy Cas. How the heck are you?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #42
Skarg

Steve, seeing the new fancy Dran map, I can't resist asking, what is the main road from Fork to no particular place in the Gargoyle mountains about?

Also, on the new poster map of Dran, Elfwood seems to have expanded to swallow much of the road connecting Dranning to Canigli, which leaves no practical road network between them, nor from Dranning or most of Dran to the Duchy of Deseret. Is that a mistake, or the start of a surprise power play by Elfwood to bring Dran to its knees?

The road to Bordre also seems to have collapsed on the new map.

On the other hand, this is just like the sort of map I would give to PCs to make them wonder and want to investigate, while my real map would show the actual state of things, and tend to make more sense.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #43
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Skarg - You have seen through my evil plan. The notes to the map will discuss its deficiencies and the real state of affairs. Though probably nobody but the Duke and Tollenkar have maps MORE accurate than these.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #44
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Skarg - You have seen through my evil plan. The notes to the map will discuss its deficiencies and the real state of affairs. Though probably nobody but the Duke and Tollenkar have maps MORE accurate than these.
Wonderful! That sort of wonder about what the real details of the world are, and the temptation to go find out by investigating in play, was really what made TFT compelling for us. Being handed physical maps by the GM representing maps we had found in the game, showing things we didn't know about but also probably largely rough and incomplete, was my favorite sort of reward to give and receive.

(It is great to see someone else's new repainting of the Dran map!)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #45
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Duchy of Dran Religious Establishments

I had a question about Religion in the Elyntia. Not a specific religion nor the "my cleric has spells" issue. It's more like an encyclopedia question:

In general, how many notable religions are there in Elynthia?
Do they build edifices for their parishioners?

If you're creating a town, you're probably going to encounter a church building, so that is what is spurring me to contemplate this.
  • Do we use the European Medieval criteria? Cities get Cathedrals, Towns get big churches, Villages get parishes church, hamlets get shrines...That sort of thing? But Medieval Europe had only one Religion.
  • Or perhaps the Egyptian/Aztec criteria? Cities get Pyramids and Temples of enormous proportions for one religion.
  • Do we use the Enlightenment criteria? Most areas have a dominant religion, some places have two competing schism religion. Both have big churches in big cities. When going to foreign lands, you encounter their dominant religions.
  • Do we use the Modern criteria? There are several dominant religions and many minor ones. There are many religion churches in big cities (and lots of same religion churches spread out over the area) and several different religious churches in a town. Villages may have a dominant and a minor religion publicly displayed. Cities might have foreign districts that have their own foreign religion edifice.
  • Some places may have monasteries off the beaten track, or sacred forests with specific sites, or a sacred burial ground or cairn. Some religious followers may just use their homes as places of worship.

And this is if religion is organized and ready to build churches. It could be that any religion is not allowed socially or legally to build edifices.

I'm also wondering about the racial religions: Orc, Elf, Dwarf, Centaur and the others. Do they build edifices?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #46
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I had a question about Religion in the Elyntia. Not a specific religion nor the "my cleric has spells" issue. It's more like an encyclopedia question:

In general, how many notable religions are there in Elynthia?
Do they build edifices for their parishioners?
In the original IN THE LABRYINTH on page 31:
“There are thousands of religions on Cidri. Every form of worship our Earth ever heard of, and a great many that it hasn't, may be found there.”

The passage goes on to mention Christianity, Islam, Rhakkra (an Orcish one), nature-worship, Buddhism, The Temple of Enok*, and the possibility of many others.

“GMs wishing to introduce the religious element in one form or another can use any of these cults, or create their own.”

*The Temple of Enok is the closest thing to an established religion on Cidri.
“The Temple of Enok is not a "true" religion; it was established three hundred years ago as a "front group" by a small society of power-seekers. It was highly successful; the worship of the "omnipotent Enok," who was originally dreamed up in a smoke-filled back room, is now the state religion in several cities, and powerful in many others. Needless to say, the fat and clever high priests do not believe in Enok — but millions of common folk do, and their donations keep the priests quite happy.”

So it comes down to what the GM and the players want in the campaign. It will be interesting to see what Steve Jackson has to say in the new edition.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #47
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
It will be interesting to see what Steve Jackson has to say in the new edition.
Alas, I no longer have a first edition to compare, but page 62 of the ITL draft has a section, "Religion", that begins with your quote, and mentions the faiths you mention, one per paragraph, including Enok. I don't think there's a change here.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #48
Skarg

There aren't any notable religious edifices shown in Bendwyn.

My version of Dran assumed religion was common but diverse and low-key, as ITL describes, with my version of Dran having very few Enokians. I did have some countries where religion was a big thing, but they were off the Dran map. I did assume there were some temples and churches in the bigger cities, and that the elves and dwarves and orcs had some religions, but I didn't detail any of those as I started GM'ing at age 11, wasn't very interested at that point, nor were most of my players, and I assumed they were not liable to get involved in adventure or politics or anything we were interested in.

On my own adjoining maps though I did add some heavily religious nations, and I got more interested as I got older and another TFT GM got really creative with religions, and then I started inventing religions and adding them in other places.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #49
Skarg

According to the current beta PDF map, Dran just shrunk to 64% of its former linear size, as the hexes on the same map are now 5 miles across, or about 8 km instead of 12.5 km.

Of course, the map is inaccurate in other ways... ;-)
Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #50
Warren1965

I have to admit even back when I got ITL the first time having no game mechanic for religion appealed to me. Not for any particularly high minded reason it is just I never warmed up to how it is handled in other games. Basically if a diety is going to invest you with power as it's representative shouldn't you have to do more than pray in the morning? Mostly divine casters are wizards with different spell lists and restrictions. I am not advocating for rules laying out an involved code quite the opposite. If a player wants to be a zealot fine (I guess not a fan of real life problems in my gaming) they can emote and dialog to their hearts content. If no one is interested then that is fine too.

Sorry I got a little wordy to say I like religion only affects (effects?? English is the devils tongue) the game the way players and GM want it to.

Warren
Warren1965 is offline   Reply With Quote