Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Totem

Default TK Sense

I suspect that this could work out expensive, but here goes:

Quote:
The third sense confused me somewhat, until I realised what it actually was. It was as if everything within about half a metre of me was highlighted by some strange light, both inside and out. I was able to perceive the surfaces of any surface, to feel its texture and shape. It was peculiar because while I was able to interpret this sense as ‘seeing’ the objects, I was also ‘touching’ them. Neither translation was aided by the fact that I was very clearly seeing straight through solid objects in order to perceive some things; the hollow tubes that comprised parts of the bed were a fairly good example of this.
Ben Foreman, Mind Force: Year of Awakening
The above ability is one that I'm keen to create in GURPS. Basically the ability to 'see' by a sense of touch that extends beyond the physical limits of the body.

Obvious thought here is Penetrating Vision since it lets you see through things. The problem then is twofold: I want this to be based on range blocked by complexity rather than depth, and it is meant to effectively be a second kind of vision (so it would operate exactly the same in darkness as it would in the light).

Other thoughts about it:
  • The cost isn't an issue as such; the campaign this is intended for has a high powers limit
  • Part of the thought behind this is that it can't perceive anything that isn't based on textures; a printed page in a book or a computer monitor would be a blank surface, while handwriting would be just about legible
  • I'm debating whether this should be a 360° sense or not...

Any thoughts on how to create this?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: TK Sense

Can they sense more than one place at a time? when you say "complexity", is it harder for them to see into three metal boxes with holes in them or on the far side of a tree? what does something like a quilt do? can they feel through objects or just around them?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Vibration Sense, +100% Sense Of Perception, and lots of Acute to be able to discern fine detail.

Alternately, Para-Radar with a couple modifiers.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Tinman

There are two ways to do this simply, that I can think of right now.

The first is vibration-sense with the 'sense of perception' enhancement from powers [p.86].

The second is use the Awareness power from Psionic Powers [p.39-40].
change it's base from ESP to TK. The deep scan tecnique will let you see into objects.

darn! Ninja'd by vicky!
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
Bramble Thorn

I had thought about this very thing before, that if telekinesis was an actual ability you had, there should be a feedback loop that tells you information about the status of your ability, like for your hand you know the orientation of your hand, weather it is making a fist or not, not to mention the hands sense of touch.

So by spreading your TK over an area, you could "Map" that area in your mind to create a 3 dimensional map.

I went with Vibration Sense, and Cosmic, no roll required. I did that so I could perceive detail. Basically the parts of a body have their own size modifier and if the penalties to the sense roll for size an distance leave you with a 3 or better, you automatically.

It did not use sense of perception (did not think of it) and instead used Universal with a special effect that there were no bonuses for target speed, but also no environmental penalties for things like wind/water current.

I did not consider seeing through something, because that would presuppose the ability to use my TK to effect inside things directly. And TK (the advantage, not the powerset) does not seem to work like that...

You suggest Permeation:Flesh with the modifiers Affects TK Advantage (+??%), does not effect your personal movement (-??%), TK power (-10%), and maybe does not effect windpipes, spleen, heart, or intestines, (-??%) so you can work someone over by tying the intestines into a pretzel shape, crush his windpipe, carve your initials into his heart, and relocate the spleen to the other side of the body. All for a 4 point surcharge. Everyone always seems to have a problem with this for some reason :P

Also to consider, Vibration Sense is one of the few Advantages that is 360 Degree by default. Which is good, as Peripheral Vision and 360° Vision cost way more then they are worth, and I don't like advantages that do not use the Mark 1 eyeball being limited like a Mk 1 eyeball, just because.

You can upgrade the basic package with things like Acute Sense (TK) and Sensitive Touch (TK) later on. as well as Reliable.

Also look at the Hearing advantages as well. The ability to perceive air and other molecules movements with this level of precision can give you a TK based eardrum, and justify hearing even if you are Physically deaf, as well as things like Parabolic Hearing, Ultra hearing, etc...
Bramble Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Vibration Sense, +100% Sense Of Perception, and lots of Acute to be able to discern fine detail.

Alternately, Para-Radar with a couple modifiers.
You could probably use Microscopic "Vision" to sense fine detail.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Totem

Okay, taking a few things together, I'm now thinking that the best option is probably Scanning Sense [Extra Sensory Awareness] with the TK modifier attached. I'd probably then attach some level of Penetrating Vision to it (on the basis that TK can theoretically at least work beyond LOS).

This isn't as penetrating as I wanted, but easily matches the major requirements aside from that. With various levels of increased range, acute sense and so forth, this looks good. Combined with the Infravision, Electrical Vision (Detect (Electrical Fields)), and TP Sight (Detect (Minds)) this gives the players something of a significant advantage over non-psis around them. Which is a major part of the game.

Thanks for this; Scanning Sense is one of those advantages that I keep forgetting about.