Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #21
Anaraxes

Default Re: TV series with ideas for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
What with the A-Team never seeming to actually hit the people they were shooting at
Clearly, the highly trained mercs were not shooting at the people. They were just shooting to make their vehicles flip over and whatnot, and having no trouble soaking all the target mods and Technique penalties. The showoffs. Way more skilled than those PCs that just shoot people.

The A-Team will need a required campaign advantage of Serendipity (Always Locked Up in a Machine Shop).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #22
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Anyone remember "V"? How about playing the A-team?
I wouldn't care for the A-Team. The plan coming together was the gimmick, in that show, and that's hard for a group of PCs to pull off. You need help from the screenwriter, for that.

On the other hand, V would be a perfectly decent "resist the alien invasion" setting, so long as you thought about the Visitor motives a bit more carefully.

Stealing Earth's water is silly. Turning the planet into a plantation with billions of what are effectively slave-laborers, on the other hand....
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #23
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

The realm of Dungeons & Dragons. The game mechanics of all editions of D&D would make this difficult to pull off faithfully, but GURPS could do a phenomenal job of "normal teenagers from the 1980s trapped in a Dungeon Fantasy world, each equipped with a unique piece of Signature Gear".

Adventure Time. GURPS has good support for many tech levels and Adventure Time is a cartoon with a whole lot of weird races and stuff as well as dungeons and villains.

My Little Pony. Both the original cartoon and the 2010 reboot have lots of RPG adventure potential and GURPS could play it all solidly and straight; My Little Pony Tails could even work for intercharacter drama and stuff. Can't see much use for the mid-oughties version of the show though.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #24
pestigor

I was initially wanting to do Blake's 7 but I realized that was just a grand space opera with amazing characters and all you need to do that is Gurps Space and Ultra Tech maybe. I was never one for playing canon characters. The Idea of playing Avon or Blake or even their children holds no interest for me and those characters make the show so good...

Steven Universe seems like a great place to have a semi-supers game.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #25
scc

I've got an idea kicking around that would fall in line with Space Above and Beyond, do people think it would work?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I've got an idea kicking around that would fall in line with Space Above and Beyond, do people think it would work?
Space Above and Beyond might be trying to carry the "Bad TV shows make good rpgs" principle too far.

You'd also have to pick which premise you were using. In the first ep they were the only successful fighter pilots Earth had. In the second ep they were grunts without space armor defending a refinery on Pluto from the inside.

Then in the third ep they were the bridge crew of a major starship and I stopped watching.

All of the above would not be compatible and some of it was _stupid_. If you have rescued some concept from this mess you might need to be more specific about what it is and why you think it would make a good game.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #27
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Clearly, the highly trained mercs were not shooting at the people. They were just shooting to make their vehicles flip over and whatnot, and having no trouble soaking all the target mods and Technique penalties. The showoffs. Way more skilled than those PCs that just shoot people.

The A-Team will need a required campaign advantage of Serendipity (Always Locked Up in a Machine Shop).
The A-Team are so skilled with firearms that they can fire a machine gun into a concrete floor, a few feet in front of a crowd of enemies, and even avoid hitting anyone with a ricochet! :grin:

Going way, way back, you could use The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as a template for a certain sort of GURPS campaign. The interesting thing about the concept is that it can be adjusted for various levels of realism and grimness while remaining 'recognizable'. The show focused on 2 men, but a small team of U.N.C.L.E. men is plausible as a GURPS concept.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #28
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I wouldn't care for the A-Team. The plan coming together was the gimmick, in that show, and that's hard for a group of PCs to pull off. You need help from the screenwriter, for that.

On the other hand, V would be a perfectly decent "resist the alien invasion" setting, so long as you thought about the Visitor motives a bit more carefully.

Stealing Earth's water is silly. Turning the planet into a plantation with billions of what are effectively slave-laborers, on the other hand....
A plantation growing what, or slaves working what? What's valuable enough to be worth hauling 8 light-years back to Sirius?

V suffers from a problem in translation to a game that a lot of TV does, PCs may ask questions that characters can be carefully forbidden from asking by the writer/director.

The only thing that really makes sense, as an invasion plot, is that they want to move to Earth, or colonize it. That can be made to make sense, if we assume that habitable worlds are rare, and it's harder to maintain artificial ecosystems and habitats than we think it is.

(These assumptions could in fact be real-world true, for all we know.)

The other big logical problem is that if they've got Visitor-level tech, facing a late 20C/early 21C Earth...resistance is futile. So you need a reason why the enemy is operating without using 99% of their potential.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

V aliens were impossibly earth life compatible up to and including reproducing with us, something no other actually related species can do.

If they wanted to colonize they should have just bombarded from space and/or experiment on some animals and unleash killer viruses.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #30
Refplace

The Librarians is in the trope of Wharehouse 13 and would make a good cinematic campaign.
No liscening needed either as the concept is pretty well used.
And even GURPs already kinda did it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, jessica jones, mad max, rule of cool, sense8, tv series