Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
jacobmuller

Default [LT/ HT/ UT] Deep penetration

This is about the Hit Location options and, sorta, over penetration.
An extension of the option for some damage types to target Vitals, ditto Spine.
I'm sure it's not how everyone does it but I'm opting to read the "4th" die as: 1 = Vitals/Veins, 6 = Spine/Joint, depending, in non-targeted attacks.
Normally, the Spine is only an option from the rear but, how about an Imp [or Pi or TbB] attack from the front that penetrates deeply enough to hit the Spine, eg enough damage for an over penetration, and then some, and rolled a 6 on the 4th die? It's really only likely with battle rifles but there were siege weapons that could manage it:D
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [LT/ HT/ UT] Deep penetration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
This is about the Hit Location options and, sorta, over penetration.
An extension of the option for some damage types to target Vitals, ditto Spine.
I'm sure it's not how everyone does it but I'm opting to read the "4th" die as: 1 = Vitals/Veins, 6 = Spine/Joint, depending, in non-targeted attacks.
Normally, the Spine is only an option from the rear but, how about an Imp [or Pi or TbB] attack from the front that penetrates deeply enough to hit the Spine, eg enough damage for an over penetration, and then some, and rolled a 6 on the 4th die? It's really only likely with battle rifles but there were siege weapons that could manage it:D
Is this for a Chest hit? Then 1 is Vitals (cr,imp,pi or tb bu) or Spine (cutting from the rear). 6 is just a regular Chest hit.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-15-2013 at 03:41 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Is this for a Chest hit? Then 1 is Vitals (cr,imp,pi or tb bu) or Spine (cutting from the rear). 6 is just a regular Chest hit. At any rate impaling doesn't have any effect on the spine.
I'm sure there have been many people paralyzed by gun shots from the font hitting the spine. I don't see why a stab wouldn't be just as possible.
Do you think it's rare enough to fall below Gurps probabilities?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm sure there have been many people paralyzed by gun shots from the font hitting the spine. I don't see why a stab wouldn't be just as possible.
I was wrong. Impaling can target the spine (Martial Arts p 137).
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
JCurwen3

Quote:
It seems totally possible for an impaling weapon that over-penetrates (but only then) to hit the spine from the front. Having this happen on a 1 on 1d doesn't seem too high of a probability, IMHO.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
It seems totally possible for an impaling weapon that over-penetrates (but only then) to hit the spine from the front. Having this happen on a 1 on 1d doesn't seem too high of a probability, IMHO.
Actually 16 2/3 percent seems way too high to me. Unless we count the spine as much bigger than just the cord and vertebrae.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
jacobmuller

"I'm sure it's not how everyone does it": I am choosing to use 1-6 Gore-Bone. Okay, it makes it a 1-in-3 chance of special effects but only for most locations and most damage:D

A bullet hitting the spine after entering the torso from in front is the possibility I'm working from. It could as easily be a ballista bolt or a minotaur's arrow.

There is the possibility that I should be rolling 6 dice to determine Hit Location: 3d for general location, 1d for Gore, 1d for Bone, 1d for sub-location... You know, now I think of it, that might suit some folk fine. It would mean you could hit the Vitals and the Spine, or Vein and Joint. Remote but possible.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
jacobmuller

Quote:
Actually 16 2/3 percent seems way too high to me. Unless we count the spine as much bigger than just the cord and vertebrae.
1/6 is high. but Spine is long and organs are small and numerous?
{I better go sleep and let the Guru's debate in peace}
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
DanHoward

You need to do more than hit the spine to cause paralysis. You need to damage the spinal cord which is protected by pretty thick bone and three layers of tissue. With an impaling weapon you'd need to penetrate the vertebral column (DR 2 like the skull?) and hit something that varies in thickness from 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch.

Last edited by DanHoward; 05-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
You need to do more than hit the spine to cause paralysis. You need to damage the spinal cord which is protected by pretty thick bone and three layers of tissue. With an impaling weapon you'd need to penetrate the vertebral column (DR 2 like the skull?) and hit something that varies in thickness from 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch.
RAW is HP damage to cripple.

Tags
hit location, optional, over penetration