Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #1451
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

I like this thread but some of the supersīs skills seem to be low, dont they?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #1452
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I like this thread but some of the supersīs skills seem to be low, dont they?
Well, first off, in the comics most of these guys have been active for 15+ years, so their earned XP has gone into their skills and stats (Spidey in particular will be spending his earned XP on DX). At the start of their careers, they may not be as skilled.

Also, it's a balancing act; one of the key points here is not to make the characters match the comics, but to build them as if they were PCs in a game (even the bad guys are built along these lines). In some cases, particularly when you get into the really super-strong folks, it's nearly impossible to truly stat them because "super-strong" tends to be "as strong as the plot requires". Hercules in the comics has dragged Manhattan Island back into place; Hulk has quite literally held a planet together, and Thor was once able to lift the weight of the Midgard Serpent, an entity that's at least 10,000 miles long (I forget how wide Jormungandr is, but he's been depicted as thrice as wide as Thor is tall). Contrast those feats with other feats where they are unable to lift even a fraction of those weights.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #1453
Darkhol

And I have one more question for author, why you use off hand weapon training with ambidexterity? If you have ambidexterity, you don't need off hand weapon training
Darkhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #1454
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhol View Post
And I have one more question for author, why you use off hand weapon training with ambidexterity? If you have ambidexterity, you don't need off hand weapon training
I think in Frank's case I had one eye on Gun-Fu and one eye on GCA when I was assembling him, so I forgot Ambidexterity overruled OHWT. I think there was a "you need OHWT to have DWA" thing in there and I forgot I'd given him Ambidexterity on the advantages screen when I was bouncing between the Perks and Skills screens.

So that's two points I can shave off him. Good catch!

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:24 AM   #1455
Darkhol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I think in Frank's case I had one eye on Gun-Fu and one eye on GCA when I was assembling him, so I forgot Ambidexterity overruled OHWT. I think there was a "you need OHWT to have DWA" thing in there and I forgot I'd given him Ambidexterity on the advantages screen when I was bouncing between the Perks and Skills screens.

So that's two points I can shave off him. Good catch!
Not only on him , I have seen several times the same mistake on other heroes
Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #1456
Darkhol

Bro, what do you think about adding engulfing modificator for molecule man binding?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #1457
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
https://marvel.com/universe/Spider-Man%27s_Web-Shooters mentions "After about one to two hours, certain imbibed esters cause the solid form of the web fluid to dissolve into a powder."

To get this with Binding, what approach would be proper?

1) assume 10 seconds based duration (page 101 under "Range, Area, and Duration for Advantages") and take Extended Duration 1000x +120% to get it past 2 hours

2) assume unlimited duration and take Maximum Duration (page 15 of GURPs Power Ups) either "Up to 1 hour -10%" or "Up to 12 hours -5%" ?
GURPS Powers seems to assume option 1... kind of. If you look at the build for Quicksand on p.139, you see that 10 seconds is the duration to trap _new_ victims. Current victims presumably remain bound.

So... Spideys webs generally are not sticky anyway, post him spraying them, so in this specific case, I'd go with your option 2 build: Victim stays trapped indefinitely unless you apply a limitation. The counter argument would be Ice Bonds on p. 138 which have no duration limitation but should logically melt at some point... though 10 seconds is a bit fast even there. I prefer to think of Ice Bonds as missing a limitation, given how Quicksand works.

Last edited by chandley; 03-28-2018 at 11:51 AM.
chandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #1458
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
https://marvel.com/universe/Spider-Man%27s_Web-Shooters mentions "After about one to two hours, certain imbibed esters cause the solid form of the web fluid to dissolve into a powder."

To get this with Binding, what approach would be proper?

1) assume 10 seconds based duration (page 101 under "Range, Area, and Duration for Advantages") and take Extended Duration 1000x +120% to get it past 2 hours

2) assume unlimited duration and take Maximum Duration (page 15 of GURPs Power Ups) either "Up to 1 hour -10%" or "Up to 12 hours -5%" ?
Given that the description of Binding states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set p.40
To simulate vines, webs, and so forth, add one or more of Area Effect (p. 102), Persistent (p. 107), and Wall (p. 109)....
I would assume a 10 second duration and take Persistent and Extended Duration for how long you want it to stick around. That is, if I was approaching it from a simulationist point of view. As a gamist, I'm more of a "it sticks around as long as needed for the plot". No #spideywhities. :)

Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #1459
Refplace

Quote:
Given that the description of Binding states:

I would assume a 10 second duration and take Persistent and Extended Duration for how long you want it to stick around. That is, if I was approaching it from a simulationist point of view. As a gamist, I'm more of a "it sticks around as long as needed for the plot". No #spideywhities. :)
The Persistent there is for something that Binds new people coming into or through the area.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #1460
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
As a gamist, I'm more of a "it sticks around as long as needed for the plot".
Binding has an indefinite duration by default {It's been pointed out a few times over the years. Here's one example}. The material sticks around until destroyed, or it naturally wears away. This latter presumption gives you leeway in designing the duration as a special effect in many cases. One or two hours is more than long enough for typical fights involving characters to be decided and the fate of hopelessly bound opponents determined by the victors, so I'd say it should be fine as a -0% modifier. It would take unusual circumstances to make that duration become a Nuisance Effect, IMO.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men