Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
rkbrown419

Default Sorcery in Technomancer

I've been toying with the idea of adapting the setting from Technomancer to use the Sorcery rules for magic. I'm thinking that, especially using the Alternative Rituals rules, Sorcery would work well in alongside advanced technology. Has anyone else done anything similar? How did it work out?
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: Sorcery in Technomancer

Never really tried it, but it could be handled by making the Sorcerors into magical super-beings. Whereas conventional spell magic is more a form of science and engineering, Sorcery allows people to basically shape magic through sheer force of will and with much greater power.

As a result, Sorcerors should be built around a theme or focus; The Fire Sorceror who's basically a Human torch, capable of generating fire, sheathing himself in the stuff and even flying around as a fireball, but who is otherwise deprived of non-fire based magic.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
wellspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I've been toying with the idea of adapting the setting from Technomancer to use the Sorcery rules for magic. I'm thinking that, especially using the Alternative Rituals rules, Sorcery would work well in alongside advanced technology. Has anyone else done anything similar? How did it work out?
Technomancer as currently written seems very closely tied to the default magic system. You have a large but limited number of spells that are learned via study.

So in that sense, RPM is too flexible, and Sorcery concentrates too much power into a very few spells. They're excellent systems (IMO superior to default magic) but you'd have to perform some surgery on the setting to make them fit instead.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
mikeejimbo

I think you could use RPM by enforcing Rituals Only, though I forget exactly what that modifier is. Then the GM would design (or grab from the forums) the "already-researched" rituals and use the Invention rules if PCs want to create new ones. Mages could only cast rituals they have the Ritual Mastery Perk in (but they still get that nice +2 for it). I think that's a fairly simple way to preserve the feel but use RPM.

Not sure about Sorcery though, that would take a bit more effort.
mikeejimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
Celjabba

One of the key aspect of technomancer is the industrial magic, and mass produced magic gadget. It may be harder to emulate this with sorcery.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
One of the key aspect of technomancer is the industrial magic, and mass produced magic gadget. It may be harder to emulate this with sorcery.
Actually it might be fairly easy, just allow technology to help enchanting and remove the requirement to get part of the points from sacrificed points.

The technology bonus might range from as simple as a TL based bonus to the Spectral Forging roll to something that allows producing multiple items at the same time for the effort to produce one.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
wellspring

IMO the key problem with default magic is that it's not generic and certainly not universal. It's a good system in itself, but it's not really easy to use as a foundation for adapting another setting or game not specifically designed for GURPS.

Divine Favor, Sorcery, and RPM are all good systems but by the time you tweak and customize them into something Technomancer friendly (and much to their credit, you can do this if you really want to), you have to turn off all the things that make those systems interesting and unique.

Technomancer was specifically designed for GURPS magic. The spells, the system, the strengths, the limitations. IMO it's best to just run it that way.
wellspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

I tend to agree with others who've said that Technomancer is too tied to the standard magic system to easily slot in Sorcery. That said, I think it can work, you'll just need to adjust things.

The existing Sorcery spells are already mostly straight ports of spells from GURPS Magic. Continue in that vein - make sure that when you're creating new spells that they're close conversions of existing spells.

The ability of sorcerers to improvise lower point-value spells goes a bit against the mechanics of Technomancer, but it actually doesn't hurt the feel that much, IMO. The various vignettes and such already sort of suggest that mages are capable of a wide variety of minor effects, and doesn't really imply they have the high number of points sunk into individual spells this would require in the standard magic system.

However, hardcore improvisation is a bit more of a problem. Technomancer mages are generally not capable of busting out big spells they haven't previously learned in a pinch, even with a lot of effort. I'd recommend limiting sorcerers to not be able to do hardcore improvisation at all. A -20% limitation on their Sorcerous Empowerment advantage sounds about right for that.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
My idea to handle that is a set of Production Line enchantments. Basically you enchant your assembly line to to take on the role of lead enchanter. This requires a unique Production Line spell for each type of product to be enchanted. The line then pays the personal scrifice cost by traiding points for cash in the form of exotic materials (In addition to the minim value required already) and wear and tear on the machinery. Thats $2000 per 5 enchantment points. Require half the EP to be from assistants, at least one of whom must know enchant and the spell being enchanted. This is a considerable savings over standard enchantment. If you double it to $4000 per 5 EP to reflect labor and recouping start up costs it's still a bit cheaper. I've only figured out rough estimates for a couple items but the retail costs are comperable to similar items in the Technomancer.

As for the oft mentioned fact that Sourcerers generally don't know as many spells as the standard system. I expect the large number of one point spells that even the weakest Sorcerer could improvise to make up for that. At TL 7+1 lots of spell effects are equivalent to an Accessory perk. Need a spell to detect radiation, it's equivalent to a built in geiger counter. Need a light, thats equivalent to a flashlight. Any Sorcerer has a pretty big toolkit to draw from without even trying hardcore improvisation.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspring View Post
IMO the key problem with default magic is that it's not generic and certainly not universal. It's a good system in itself, but it's not really easy to use as a foundation for adapting another setting or game not specifically designed for GURPS.

Divine Favor, Sorcery, and RPM are all good systems but by the time you tweak and customize them into something Technomancer friendly (and much to their credit, you can do this if you really want to), you have to turn off all the things that make those systems interesting and unique.

Technomancer was specifically designed for GURPS magic. The spells, the system, the strengths, the limitations. IMO it's best to just run it that way.
To be fair, if the GM is willing (and has time) to put the work in, the setting can be adjusted to fit another magic system; it may take a few practice games to find places where things need fixing before the actual campaigne can start, but it can be done.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote