Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
thorr-kan

Default Help me understand styleI costs for martial arts styles?

GURPS character and game design don't come naturally to me, so I'm looking for some assistance in my understanding of Martial Arts Style costs. I've been over 4E, 4E Lite, Martial Arts, and Technical Grappling. I'm using Collegiate Wrestling from the latter as an example.

A. Collegiate Wresting costs 2 pts. That is 1 pt for Wrestling Sport (DX/Ave) at Dex-1 and 1 pt for the perk Style Familiarity (Collegiate Wrestling). Is that correct?

B. That cost allows me to buy Techniques, Skills, and Advantages listed under Collegiate Wrestling and to lump them all together as my Style. Depending on pts spend, Style Perks may also be purchased. Is that correct?

C. Techniques are treated like skills. So, for example, Change Position (Wrestling Sport) is an Average technique. Spending 1 pt would grant me that technique at +1 to my Wrestling Sports score. Is that correct?

(Being GURPS, I'm assuming shooting styles from Gun Fu and Tactical Shooting will behave similarly.)
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Help me understand styleI costs for martial arts styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
A. Collegiate Wresting costs 2 pts. That is 1 pt for Wrestling Sport (DX/Ave) at Dex-1 and 1 pt for the perk Style Familiarity (Collegiate Wrestling). Is that correct?
Yes. Each primary skill requires 1 point investment and one additonal point for the Style Perk.

Quote:
B. That cost allows me to buy Techniques, Skills, and Advantages listed under Collegiate Wrestling and to lump them all together as my Style. Depending on pts spend, Style Perks may also be purchased. Is that correct?
Also yes.
Think of the Style perk as a basic primer in the overall precepts of the style.
Also you can usually buy a technique once you have a point in the applicable skill.

Quote:
C. Techniques are treated like skills. So, for example, Change Position (Wrestling Sport) is an Average technique. Spending 1 pt would grant me that technique at +1 to my Wrestling Sports score. Is that correct?

(Being GURPS, I'm assuming shooting styles from Gun Fu and Tactical Shooting will behave similarly.)
Pretty much. Techniques area very specific use of a skill. They are cheaper because they only benefit a specific application rather than everything the skill does.
This is in part why the primary use of a skill is not an option for a technique.

Yes, Any style works the same. Gun Fu, Tactical Shooting, Magical Styles, and Social Styles are all worked examples of styles and use the same rules.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
GURPS character and game design don't come naturally to me, so I'm looking for some assistance in my understanding of Martial Arts Style costs. I've been over 4E, 4E Lite, Martial Arts, and Technical Grappling. I'm using Collegiate Wrestling from the latter as an example.

.)
A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Sort of. Spending 1 pt on an Average Technique gives you that Technique at +1 to its' Default Score which might not be full Skill. If the Technique Defaulted to Wrestling -4 you can attempt it at that penalty without spending pts or you could start buying the technique up to get a better chance..
Old 03-07-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
thorr-kan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A. Yes
B. Yes
C. Sort of. Spending 1 pt on an Average Technique gives you that Technique at +1 to its' Default Score which might not be full Skill. If the Technique Defaulted to Wrestling -4 you can attempt it at that penalty without spending pts or you could start buying the technique up to get a better chance..
The example was specifically chosen, but I get the distinction you're giving.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote