Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #521
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
((OOC - Can we have set up a simple cipher to increase the security of the communications?))
Sure... like the real message is the first letter of each word? or something else?

Quote:
Was there any indication of if the stones for the stand-alone construction could be constructed or acquired? I forgot to ask.
They can be acquired... The stones are very specific minerals, but not limited to single quarries. Getting all of them would require a bit of footwork, or using the existing supply networks somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
One code for the whole neighborhood or one code for Fericus's house?
She has one code that works for her. The owners can set what times her code works for their estates.

Quote:
So which list is Fericus on?
He prefers her to be invisible.

Quote:
Could we retroactively leave a pen communicator there?
If Vassarious is willing to give up their pen communicator (you only have 2) and someone makes an IQ roll, sure.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:08 PM   #522
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Sure... like the real message is the first letter of each word? or something else?
I was thinking of something more like a Ceasar shift, but the first letter representation would work far better for verbal messages... we can go with that.

Quote:
They can be acquired... The stones are very specific minerals, but not limited to single quarries. Getting all of them would require a bit of footwork, or using the existing supply networks somehow.
Hrm... how much footwork? Are these stones used for other purposes, or does it seem likely orders might be monitored?

"With the screen methods available, I'm concerned altering a gate may draw the same kind of attention we are looking to escape. A temple may be a good idea. The idea that a gate could be altered and trap travelers in route is interesting... it may be a good thing to remember if we are being pursued and flee through a gate. Any thoughts?"

Quote:
If Vassarious is willing to give up their pen communicator (you only have 2) and someone makes an IQ roll, sure.
I had considered it but thought Corco would probably not want us handing out their interdimensional tech. I'm sure holo-Maximus would not pass up the opportunity to benefit "his" empire.

I will make the IQ roll... but while we are using the wayback machine, I'd like to clear it as part of my communication with the villa first...
(Failed and used luck, which i don't have, LOL -- Let's use a Destiny Point instead.)

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-01-2022 at 10:14 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:38 AM   #523
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I was thinking of something more like a Ceasar shift, but the first letter representation would work far better for verbal messages... we can go with that.
cool.

Quote:
Hrm... how much footwork? Are these stones used for other purposes, or does it seem likely orders might be monitored?
You'd need to call suppliers and order them. The orders probably take at least a few days and maybe as long as 10 days to arrive. The stones seem to be used for other purposes, but all together they only seem to be used for divine architecture. There is a slim chance that a full order is monitored, but incomplete orders won't be.

Quote:
I had considered it but thought Corco would probably not want us handing out their interdimensional tech. I'm sure holo-Maximus would not pass up the opportunity to benefit "his" empire.

I will make the IQ roll... but while we are using the wayback machine, I'd like to clear it as part of my communication with the villa first...
(Failed and used luck, which i don't have, LOL -- Let's use a Destiny Point instead.)
A destiny point will work... what's the tally on those?

The Villa is fine with leaving the pen there. They'll either get it back by asking nicely or they'll melt it remotely via magic.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 AM   #524
TGLS

Quote:
"With the screen methods available, I'm concerned altering a gate may draw the same kind of attention we are looking to escape."
"I suppose it could; but then again Holo-Maximus probably wouldn't have suggested altering an existing temple if it would be that obvious a tell though."

Quote:
"A temple may be a good idea."
"I don't sabotage hospitals. It'd probably get noticed, if not as fast as a gate temple, within a day or two."

Quote:
"The idea that a gate could be altered and trap travelers in route is interesting... it may be a good thing to remember if we are being pursued and flee through a gate."
"Yeah, we can keep it in mind"

Last edited by TGLS; 03-02-2022 at 02:47 PM.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #525
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
A destiny point will work... what's the tally on those?
You gave us Destiny 3 with our packages and I used one in the game before now in Post #217. Was the refresh rate 120 posts?

Quote:
The Villa is fine with leaving the pen there. They'll either get it back by asking nicely or they'll melt it remotely via magic.
I'll leave the pen then.

Vassarious will look into making separate orders for the stones and will check on the temple locations for modifying a screened area...

"If we make a conversion at a temple, we can simply convert it back when were are finished with our communications or whatever activity we wish to screen. It would be useful to have a private area constructed, but I am unsure of the wisdom of waiting so long to make our move."
Old 03-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #526
TGLS

Quote:

"If we make a conversion at a temple, we can simply convert it back when were are finished with our communications or whatever activity we wish to screen. It would be useful to have a private area constructed, but I am unsure of the wisdom of waiting so long to make our move."
"Well, if it doesn't impact anybody's health then nobody's getting hurt and I suppose it's OK."
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #527
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Vassarious will look into making separate orders for the stones and will check on the temple locations for modifying a screened area...
The capital has thirteen healing temples in a thirty mile radius. All of those see an exceptionally high rate of use. There are 35 more within a sixty mile radius... the capital is kind of a pilgrimage site for this sort of thing. Surely one of them has low use... how will you identify which one (or ones) that is?

Gates are rarer... the nearest one is to Aquas, and its 72 miles from the temple complex.

Do you have a merchant skill or something similar to find all the suppliers?

The four designs are quoted below for reference.
Quote:
He gives V four designs.

The first is for a healing temple. Moving 13 blocks across the temple will turn the entire building into a shielded area. It will also impair limb regeneration and cancer treatment at that temple until fixed

The second is for a gate temple. Moving 6 blocks will turn it into a shield. It will also shut down the gate, stranding anyone and anything in the middle.

The third is for a gate temple without shutting it down. That requires moving 37 blocks and then adding 9 very small ones.

The fourth design is for a small portable shielded area. It requires 57 blocks that weigh 200 lbs altogether, and must be placed quite precisely. It makes an area about the size of a phone booth.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #528
the_matrix_walker

Merchant is a Faceman! Skill:

Quote:
Faceman! for Merchant to buy rocks on the internet.

3d6 <= 14
1 + 3 + 6 = 10 ... success
Old 03-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #529
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Merchant is a Faceman! Skill:
You can get them in 2 days for $600.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #530
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
You can get them in 2 days for $600.
Vassarious had asked Halycone for some funds previously... if they do not have enough left, V will ask for the funds and place the order.