Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Alternatives to Unmodified Regrowth [Basic]

Regrowth is one of those strangely overpriced advantages in GURPS. By taking Injury Tolerance (No Eyes, No Head, No Neck, No Vitals, Unbreakable Bones; No Signature, +25%) [40], you do not need Regrowth (since they have No Signature, +25%, you appear to have appropriate parts, they just cannot take any damage) and receive the benefits of Injury Tolerance. My question is, why should anyone take Regrowth if they can avoid the necessity, and gain additional benefits, by taking Injury Tolerance?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Default Re: Alternatives to Unmodified Regrowth [Basic]

Because your solution is for those things that are strange and weird and violate what we, as biological beings, are familiar with.

If a being has No Eyes what is the mechanism of sight? Will you need to buy a set of senses and have them just work telepathically to compensate? If not why not?

Unbreakable Bones doesn't mean that the muscles and tendons that join the bone to the body can't be cut.

Lastly if I want a character with Regrowth it is because I want to play with that power and not with IT. No Vitals means I can't donate a kidney but regrowth makes it it possible for me to donate many. Regrowth takes time and that is something that can be useful in the plotting of adventures.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Unbreakable Bones prevents permanent crippling and is more realistic than Regrowth in humans because it exists in real life (an extended family in the USA and another in South Africa possess the mutations). You still have senses with No Eyes and No Head, they are just distributed. In the case of No Eyes, distributed photoreceptors in the skin would be an adequate substitute for sight. In the case of No Head, similar mechanisms would serve for balance, hearing, smell, and taste.

Anyway, I am not saying that Regrowth is useless, I am saying that it is not worth 40 CP because I can negate the need and receive more benefit for the same price from the above Injury Tolerance. I believe that 20 CP would be a fairer price for Regrowth.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
Celjabba

It is overpriced, the price is a legacy from way back.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...39&postcount=5

PK houserules (at Mygurps.com) have Regrowth at [10]
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Andreas

I don't think unbreakable bones would protect you from for example your ear getting cut off? I also don't think that no vitals would protect you from for your abdominal muscles getting destroyed, etc.

Regrowth gets you more than such injury tolerance (still seems overpriced though).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Unbreakable Bones prevents permanent crippling and is more realistic than Regrowth in humans because it exists in real life (an extended family in the USA and another in South Africa possess the mutations). You still have senses with No Eyes and No Head, they are just distributed. In the case of No Eyes, distributed photoreceptors in the skin would be an adequate substitute for sight. In the case of No Head, similar mechanisms would serve for balance, hearing, smell, and taste.
Are you seriously saying that there are real life humans with bones which are impossible to destroy? Regrowth is more plausible than that, at least it doesn't violate all we know about material science.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
If a being has No Eyes what is the mechanism of sight?
A 0-point feature.

Quote:
Will you need to buy a set of senses and have them just work telepathically to compensate?
No, because Injury Tolerance: No Eyes [5] doesn't remove the ability to see; for that take Blindness [-50].

Quote:
If not why not?
No, because you didn't take Blindness [-50].
Quote:
Unbreakable Bones doesn't mean that the muscles and tendons that join the bone to the body can't be cut.
It means the muscles and tendons can't be cut in a way that Dismembers or Permanently Cripples you, you can only suffer Lasting and Temporary Crippling, at double the normal threshold.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Regrowth is one of those strangely overpriced advantages in GURPS.
KrommQuote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
1. Regrowth is indeed overpriced because it was overlooked during the revision to 4e. I'd charge 10 points for it. It's useful, but it sure isn't 40 points worth of useful.

2. What does "combat utility" have to do with advantage pricing? GURPS is a roleplaying game. Combat is a small part of roleplaying. We price traits with respect to all of roleplaying, which includes exploration, negotiating obstacles, investigation, puzzle-solving, social interaction, stealth, study, trade, and travel. Whatever Regrowth is worth, that price will take into account not having limited mobility for, say, climbing walls or picking locks; not being obviously "that one-eyed guy" in social interaction; and so on . . . not to mention not having to pay for medical treatments and prosthetics.

3. We don't like to reprice things radically between editions for historical reasons: It was done sometimes in the past. The net result was confused freelance writers, confused players, and incompatibility between items published before and after the change, despite them all being intended for the same edition. Nobody really won.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Unbreakable Bones prevents permanent crippling and is more realistic than Regrowth in humans because it exists in real life (an extended family in the USA and another in South Africa possess the mutations).
They may posses stronger bones, but they absolutely do not possess Injury Tolerance: Unbreakable Bones [10]. It's not a realistic advantage.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
AlexanderHowl

They functionally possess unbreakable bones (any trauma sufficient to break their bones would cause them to die, so it is effectively the same thing). Their bone density is eight times that of the average human being (they also have the quirk Cannot Float).
Old 06-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
They functionally possess unbreakable bones (any trauma sufficient to break their bones would cause them to die, so it is effectively the same thing). Their bone density is eight times that of the average human being (they also have the quirk Cannot Float).
What happens if you slice through their hamstring from example? Also someone with IT:UB who is damaged in the arm for huge amount, neither dies, nor is permanently crippled, so it doesn't seem to be the same thing, effectively or otherwise. And can we get a source for this?