Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Living off making New Inventions?

Greetings, all!

There are various character concepts whose professional activity is best described neither as a regular job nor even as freelance work, but rather as producing what would be best classified as New Inventions in GURPS. These need not necessarily be technological R&D people either, so long as their core professional cycle centres around investing time, effort and money into producing something and eventually getting a payoff of some sort based on it. For instance, an independent musician could need to spend time 'inventing' a new song, then recording and selling it, either to a distributor or directly to the public by setting up one's own shop-site. A non-governmental writer could spend after-work hours on writing a novel, hoping to eventually publish it and, upon earning some extra money from that, quit the nine-to-five and become a full-time writer. A programmer could produce some piece of software and then set up a donationware account to earn a payoff from the people who found it useful and decided to reward such work. And of course it could be the young inventor who wants to produce some gadget (a steam engine! a way to write down spells into scrolls! a better new approach to teaching uplifted ravens a human alphabet!) in the hopes of then living off royalties as everyone has a use for it.

GURPS has somewhat universal rules on New Inventions for physical things, and has made attempts to make it even more universal by applying them to e.g. social inventions. But that's not quite what I'm after.

What I am after is a way to benchmark the complexity levels and payoffs in a way as to make them compatible with the rest of GURPS' economical system. E.g. making it so that working a stable job, working a freelance job and working on new inventions with occasional payoffs upon success could all be calibrated to an Average Wealth musician/writer/inventor etc. And that it could be recalibrated to other wealth levels to handle Wealthy Musicians/Writers/etc., Struggling ones and so on. One thing that seems like an obstacle to calibration is the way opportunities-for-payoff-with-a-chance-of-no-payoff are likely to scale to the skill level in a way that risks making the living-off-inventions a no-brainer choice for any PC with typical PC-grade remarkable primary skill levels.

I totally understand that any results of this endeavour would be generalised abstractions, but so are invention and job rules, so that's not a problem (so long as the the salaryman, the freelancer, and the inventor can all be calibrated to a given Wealth Level). I also know that Social Engineering handles the topic of seeking patrons who are willing to invest into an inventor, but that's not the focus of this question.

So what generic-universal ways of handling such activities are there? Particularly ones that aren't significantly more fussy than the rest of the invention and wealth rules?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Living off making New Inventions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

There are various character concepts whose professional activity is best described neither as a regular job nor even as freelance work, but rather as producing what would be best classified as New Inventions in GURPS. These need not necessarily be technological R&D people either, so long as their core professional cycle centres around investing time, effort and money into producing something and eventually getting a payoff of some sort based on it. For instance, an independent musician could need to spend time 'inventing' a new song, then recording and selling it, either to a distributor or directly to the public by setting up one's own shop-site. A non-governmental writer could spend after-work hours on writing a novel, hoping to eventually publish it and, upon earning some extra money from that, quit the nine-to-five and become a full-time writer. A programmer could produce some piece of software and then set up a donationware account to earn a payoff from the people who found it useful and decided to reward such work. And of course it could be the young inventor who wants to produce some gadget (a steam engine! a way to write down spells into scrolls! a better new approach to teaching uplifted ravens a human alphabet!) in the hopes of then living off royalties as everyone has a use for it.

GURPS has somewhat universal rules on New Inventions for physical things, and has made attempts to make it even more universal by applying them to e.g. social inventions. But that's not quite what I'm after.

What I am after is a way to benchmark the complexity levels and payoffs in a way as to make them compatible with the rest of GURPS' economical system. E.g. making it so that working a stable job, working a freelance job and working on new inventions with occasional payoffs upon success could all be calibrated to an Average Wealth musician/writer/inventor etc. And that it could be recalibrated to other wealth levels to handle Wealthy Musicians/Writers/etc., Struggling ones and so on. One thing that seems like an obstacle to calibration is the way opportunities-for-payoff-with-a-chance-of-no-payoff are likely to scale to the skill level in a way that risks making the living-off-inventions a no-brainer choice for any PC with typical PC-grade remarkable primary skill levels.

I totally understand that any results of this endeavour would be generalised abstractions, but so are invention and job rules, so that's not a problem (so long as the the salaryman, the freelancer, and the inventor can all be calibrated to a given Wealth Level). I also know that Social Engineering handles the topic of seeking patrons who are willing to invest into an inventor, but that's not the focus of this question.

So what generic-universal ways of handling such activities are there? Particularly ones that aren't significantly more fussy than the rest of the invention and wealth rules?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!
Priority number one to this thread. I´ve been interesting in these since the first day of playing GURPS. So far, I´ve tried making estimations with real world market values numbers and potential growth, but it´s not as easy as it seems. Moreover, I would also like figures to figure out financing, funding cycles, control stakes, etc. when starting a company from those inventions.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The simplest mechanic is that you work a job (using job rules) that gives you hours to spend towards inventing something. If you need money as well as hours but you have the skills to provide what you need, the job gives money only for the purpose of labor costs.

Once you've accumulated enough resources to get the invention roll, make it! A success indicates you have a product worthy of making money.

It should be noted that making the product is often the easy part. The hard part is selling it. Good ideas die every day, and the only way to get money is to convince someone to give it to you. That may be a job roll all of its own. Or merely a roll to sign on with a publisher or agent who will do that for you (and take a large share of the profits).

From a GM perspective, the hardest part is how much the finished intellectual product is worth: how many people want it, how much are they willing to pay for it, and how long will they buy it for?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The simplest mechanic is that you work a job (using job rules) that gives you hours to spend towards inventing something. If you need money as well as hours but you have the skills to provide what you need, the job gives money only for the purpose of labor costs.

Once you've accumulated enough resources to get the invention roll, make it! A success indicates you have a product worthy of making money.

It should be noted that making the product is often the easy part. The hard part is selling it. Good ideas die every day, and the only way to get money is to convince someone to give it to you. That may be a job roll all of its own. Or merely a roll to sign on with a publisher or agent who will do that for you (and take a large share of the profits).

From a GM perspective, the hardest part is how much the finished intellectual product is worth: how many people want it, how much are they willing to pay for it, and how long will they buy it for?
Yes. We need to clear the last part, but I consider it to be impossible. We could with a bit of effort make a realistic and playable mathematical system, but that would take several days, and would be unmanageable without a computer, so we would need to code it into a piece of software or a spreadsheet too. And nobody is going to pay for that, so who would take the challenge? I know I would not do it for less than a couple of grands, but I would not pay anyone to do it for me either. I have designed a minimalist GURPS based system based on industries, so I know it's theoretically possible to go deep enough to do it with specific inventions, but as I say, it would take several days, and it would need to be expandable to add new inventions from the future books.

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Toptomcat

The trouble with this is that the economic value of this kind of thing tends to follow a power law. The top 0.1% of songs, computer programs, and gadgets captures a fairly overwhelming fraction of the money going towards the purchase of songs, computer programs, and gadgets. Being an inventor isn’t like being a salaried employee with a predictable income, or even like a self-employed person or a salesman on commission who will earn more money the more and the better they work, with returns scaling roughly linearly with work output/quality. It is like being in the business of buying lottery tickets, where being a competent and hardworking inventor-entrepreneur will let you buy more lottery tickets at better odds but will by no means guarantee that you can break even, let alone win big.

I’m inclined to address this simply by saying ‘this set of professions can accommodate an unusually large spectrum of Wealth, from Poor to Multi-Millionare 3 with multiple levels of Independent Income’, and be done with it.

If I had to make a system for it, there would be separate rolls for executing your project well (Machinist, Computer Programming, etc.) executing it on time and under budget (Administration?) and having enough of an understanding of the field to be working on something that’s likely to catch fire in the first place (Market Analysis, Merchant, appropriate Current Affairs specialties?)

Last edited by Toptomcat; 06-26-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
The trouble with this is that the economic value of this kind of thing tends to follow a power law. The top 0.1% of songs, computer programs, and gadgets captures a fairly overwhelming fraction of the money going towards the purchase of songs, computer programs, and gadgets. Being an inventor isn’t like being a salaried employee with a predictable income, or even like a self-employed person or a salesman on commission who will earn more money the more and the better they work, with returns scaling roughly linearly with work output/quality. It is like being in the business of buying lottery tickets, where being a competent and hardworking inventor-entrepreneur will let you buy more lottery tickets at better odds but will by no means guarantee that you can break even, let alone win big.

I’m inclined to address this simply by saying ‘this set of professions can accommodate an unusually large spectrum of Wealth, from Poor to Multi-Millionare 3 with multiple levels of Independent Income’, and be done with it.

If I had to make a system for it, there would be separate rolls for executing your project well (Machinist, Computer Programming, etc.) executing it on time and under budget (Administration?) and having enough of an understanding of the field to be working on something that’s likely to catch fire in the first place (Market Analysis, Merchant, appropriate Current Affairs specialties?)
Oh, it can accommodate a large spectrum. But what I'm interested is getting the game-mechanical representation of the process just like there is one for making inventions. I want to have some way to go from "you made an invention worth G$N" to "and here is how much royalties you can get by licensing it to the world", and similar things for writers and so on. I'm poking around that because it's something PCs are interested in.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post

Yes, but that doesn´t help much when one player wants to financially hurt another´s enterprises or businesses, or when a player wants to play an entrepeneur making openings to new markets with her inventions...
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Oh, it can accommodate a large spectrum. But what I'm interested is getting the game-mechanical representation of the process just like there is one for making inventions. I want to have some way to go from "you made an invention worth G$N" to "and here is how much royalties you can get by licensing it to the world", and similar things for writers and so on. I'm poking around that because it's something PCs are interested in.
If it´s only that we should be able to sort it out in a few hours (at maximum). How shall we proceed?

Variable Costs (Discarded)
Finder’s fee (Finance/Propaganda/Merchant): 10/10/10% + w/o production line (parts/parts && labor): 20/100% || w/ production line (parts/parts && labor): 20/50%

Base Value (-6/10/14/22 to skill as appropriate)
100 || 10.000 || 1.000.000 || 100.000.000

Base Modifiers (Relative success)
Prerequisite
Roll Finance and Propaganda at the Base Value difficulty
"Success Modifier" = IF ("success by 3 or more";+1;IF ("success"; 0; IF ("failure by 3 or more";-2;-1)))
"Prerequisite" = IF ("Sucess Modifier" > -4; "Sucess Modifier"; "Failure")

If the "Prerequisite" value is "Failure", you cannot proceed to the Merchant roll.

Turnover
Roll Merchant and take the relative success/2 (drop any fractions) plus the "Prerequisite" value
5 || 7 || 10 || (unlockable by "success modifier"; lowers the maximum outcome)
15 || 20 || 30 || 50 || 70 || 100 || 150 || 200 || 300 || 500 || 700 (regular outcomes)
|| 1.000 || 1.500 (unlockable by "success modifier")

Final Outcome
Multiply "Base Value" by "Turnover"

3d6 Chances
1,62% || 5,79% || 13,04% || 23,15% || 35,49% || 48,77% || 61,65% || 73,07% || 82,48% || 89,51% || 94,29% || 97,22% || 98,84% || 99,61% || 99,92% || 100,00%

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-27-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
I started it on my own. Do you need it coded?
Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Alonsua
Banned

There goes my quick-stupid version, test it. Amazing difficulties with the maximum outcome would throw 150 billion dollars (Jeff Bezos).

Last edited by Alonsua; 06-26-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Tags
inventions, jobs, musicians, new inventions, royalties, wealth, writers