Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
rosignol

Default Re: [Crunchy] How would I make the Burger King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Mixture of transcendent beauty for some and cosmic terror for others judging by in commercial characters' reactions.
I'd go with 'cosmic terror' as the prevalent reaction.

http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=2725913
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Good question. Strictly speaking, you need the Permanent Enhancement, but i'd handwave it for most food. It's mostly the way it is by default so you can't amass wealth/abuse it.

Also, -25% for Burger King food only on Snatcher is way way too low. It should be at least -60%, if not more.
I've always thought Snatcher was overpriced, particularly when Aspected, and even more so when used for permanent things (like food; presumably, even if you waited until it was done being digested and excreted, the nutrients would be leached right out of the recipient's body when you dismissed it to make another).

As for the Limitation, we're talking about the ability to make food out of nothing. For an adventurer that can be as useful as - if not more useful than - being able to make a weapon, unless you're in a campaign where food doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonAce View Post
I agree Another way to do this is to buy him the single spell perk and a custom spell (Create Burger King "food" ) at 25 or so -- thats 43 points
Is there any Advantage that can't be purchased more cheaply as a spell?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
Langy

Quote:
As for the Limitation, we're talking about the ability to make food out of nothing. For an adventurer that can be as useful as - if not more useful than - being able to make a weapon, unless you're in a campaign where food doesn't matter.
I'd say it's only anywhere near as useful as being able to make weapons/tools/etc if super powers don't exist and you can use the power to wow the natives and fool them into thinking you're a god or something - and that's what Unusual Background is for.

Aside from the stuff UB would balance out, creating food that isn't permanent isn't in any way more useful than making weapons, tools, or pretty much any other piece of gear. Even if the food is permanent, and thus actually useful to eat (unlike tools/weapons/etc, which are useful for their intended purpose even if not permanent), I still fail to see any way it's any where near as useful as being able to pull out weapons or tools.

I'd price 'Burger King food only' as a -80% limitation on Snatcher. If I need to use Permanent +300%, I'd also use multiplicative multipliers so that it isn't ridiculously overpriced. This would make the advantage cost 64 points before taking into account stuff to make the IQ roll easier or anything like that. Seems much more realistic than 200+ points just to be able to pull food out of the air.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
Ragitsu
Banned

And don't be surprised if that food allows the GM to hammer your character with Overweight/Fat/Very Fat or Unfit/Very Unfit or Reduced FP or...
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Inspired by the thread here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=65582

...and my curiosity. How would you create 'The King' in GURPS terms? Is there a point value for the seemingly cosmic ability to create a Whopper out of thin air? I imagine that he'd be trained in Invisibility Art to some extent, but I'm not entirely sure.
I would start with a mold and Resin, myself. Plaster and paint may do for peasants and burger clowns, but this IS a King after all!
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #16
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
How would you create 'The King' in GURPS terms?
This is awesome, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Mixture of transcendent beauty for some and cosmic terror for others judging by in commercial characters' reactions.
Hmmm... he's like C'thulu in that regard. The sane of us cannot stare directly at it for fear of losing all hope.
Is it his appearance that inspires the joy and/or horror that we witness in the ads, or the situations people find him in? IMHO he seems to have Unnatural Features (Plasticky) but is neither particularly attractive nor unattractive. If I ran into him when I was craving a Whopper I'd react quite well, and if I woke up and he was in bed with me I'd totally freak out (especially if I'd been drinking the night before...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
The most direct practical comparison would probably be to Doesn't Eat (Affects Others), with a feature Nuissance/Perk like: Must go through time-consuming and messy but tasty motions of eating fake food -0%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
And don't be surprised if that food allows the GM to hammer your character with Overweight/Fat/Very Fat or Unfit/Very Unfit or Reduced FP or...
How many levels is that just wrong on? Let's see...

Book Response: 4e RAW is rather explicit on the subject of not telling players that their character's height/weight/lifestyle/etc means that they are fat, probably to avoid uncomfortable comparisons to the height/weight/lifestyle/etc of the players.

RPG Nerd Gut-Check: WTF kind of confrontational GM do you have? It's one thing to tell players that their sheet now includes an Enemy if they aggravate the wrong NPC, and another entirely to start tagging them with new Disadvantages in response to their advantages. If anything it would be a Temp Disadvantage limitation with an unusually slow onset and recovery anyway, since the King can choose to have real food instead unless he's in a situation where he would otherwise starve. In fact scratch that, because Burger King serves salad, so he can eat healthy with the power anyway.

Physical Fitness Reality-Check: I eat what some people might characterize as a lot of Whoppers, and am Skinny [-5] with average HT and Fitness [0] because I do cardio [Priceless]. Fat and calories don't harm you if you use them, the only problem is the high sodium and cholesterol unless you are also not active enough for your diet.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Incard

Perhaps several levels of Gizmos instead of Snatcher. It seems the cost more adequately matches the value.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
SCHIFTY

What is the Orange 5 Technique?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHIFTY View Post
What is the Orange 5 Technique?
The Orange is a Hard Technique that "buys off" penalties for hiding in improbable places, and the 5 indicates 5 levels of it (thus buying off up to -5 in penalties). It's named after Solid Snake, who has a habit of sneaking around in a cardboard box that was, apparently, originally used to carry around oranges (it says "The Orange" on the side).
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #20
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Snatcher (Permanent +300%; Only Burger King Products -25%; Requires Gestures -5%; Based on Skill +0%) [296]
Snatcher already requires gestures, btw, and he needs at least three levels of Reduced Time to produce items with the speed shown on TV.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burger king, crunchy