Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #161
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
I understand that the US military already has its own similar set of launchers, like the USMC's SMAW, but the Mk.777 would be lighter, and the ammo is even cheaper. At the very least the US could use enemy ammunition with it. In fact considering Dsp-Britain will be producing RPG-7 launchers and warheads, it'd be great for any Inp-USA forces there because they could share ammo with the Brits.
Not sure, but that is a good reason.

Unrelated to the above, if johndallman's Five point powers thread takes off, it could be very useful for anyone creating characters in this setting. Just need to remember to include a '[Psi Power], -10%' limitation (or possibly -5%).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #162
warellis

Charon I posted this on Spacebattles, but here it as well:

Quote:
Charon I was just watching a Youtube video about an exoskeleton, and I'm wondering if thanks to the new technology coming out, it might get refined or adopted for use. The video is already 6 years old, but looking at it, and the Future Force Warrior program, will we see PA research get refined? We've already seen Robert Downey Jr. building an Iron Man suit with it working in the timeline.
There's also an article on the 2nd generation version of that Sarcos suit.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #163
tshiggins

Quote:
Charon I posted this on Spacebattles, but here it as well:

There's also an article on the 2nd generation version of that Sarcos suit.
Kinda makes you wonder what it looks like, now, three and a half years later.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #164
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Kinda makes you wonder what it looks like, now, three and a half years later.
I wonder if they've started integrating armour, yet.

EDIT: Also, another useful thread on low-cost abilities.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-23-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #165
warellis

Charon I'm posting what I wrote on Spacebattles here as well, considering SB is having problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis, post: 12918450, member: 9102
Charon I've been thinking, Fa-Earth is known for mythology or legends being real, right? It has King Arthur it has Sleeping Beauty, it has etc., and in addition to this it has fantasy races as well. I've been thinking, what if the Moon for Fa-Earth was inhabited, like the Moon for Dsp-Earth, and maybe Stp-Earth? What is the the Fa-Earth Moon was inhabited by the moon civilization from the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (another summary that goes into a little more detail)? Hell for all we know Fa-Earth's Moon may also have rabbits up there pounding mochi. I remember a reference by Neil Armstrong about moon rabbits. Supposedly the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is the oldest sci-fi story.

Does anyone know of any other moon civilizations in legends and such?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis, post: 12928973, member: 9102
Charon, looking at Dsp-Earth, and maybe Stp-Earth, I think both would be a big market for electronic typewriters from Inp-Earth. There are still some manufacturers of typewriters, and one place they're really used is in US prisons. Swintec is a corporation that makes electronic typewriters and they make clear plastic electronic typewriters for prisons because it's harder for prisoners to hide contraband items in these clear typewriters. Prisoners aren't allowed normal computers so for typing up letters or whatever, they use typewriters. The higher-end electronic typewriters are really dedicated word processors. Also many Latin American countries use mechanical typewriters still due to not needing electricity. Also some government institutions and cities, like New York, use typewriters quite a bit.

Here's some more info on such typewriters, and here's some info on memory typewriters.
Considering what you said about Dsp-Earth nations possibly limiting computers, I think electronic typewriters would be something many there would like. I think mechanical auto-correcting typewriters were first created during the 1940s, but electronic typewriters are better than that, without having to worry about things like an Internet. This talks about the evolution of the typewriter.

Last edited by warellis; 01-25-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #166
warellis

I was reading one of the Grantville books, specifically a 1636 novel, and in the new timeline, Japan decides to end its isolation at around 1633 or something and sends an expedition to claim California. Currently Clp-Japan would still be fighting the Sengoku Wars, I think, but with the information coming in from Inp-Earth, perhaps books or whatever, I wonder if Clp-Japan or Spain will attempt take California and its rich gold fields?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #167
Prince Charon

Quote:
I was reading one of the Grantville books, specifically a 1636 novel, and in the new timeline, Japan decides to end its isolation at around 1633 or something and sends an expedition to claim California. Currently Clp-Japan would still be fighting the Sengoku Wars, I think, but with the information coming in from Inp-Earth, perhaps books or whatever, I wonder if Clp-Japan or Spain will attempt take California and its rich gold fields?
Quite possible. If course, the nations on Clp-Earth with the most information from other Earths right 'now' are the Papal States (from the Stp-Earth Papal mission, not that most of their inquisitors really believe it), and England (through Arthur's embassy, which can relay things around like the telephone game kids play, with less than half as many errors - see below). It'll be a while before anyone else there does.

Each Arthurian Embassy has a set of four communication mirrors, linked to the other Embassies, and to mirrors that travel with Arthur on procession. There is a rotation of scribes stationed with them continuously, just as there are for each of Arthur's prefectural and diocesal capitols, and other important cities; this is one step towards Dungeonpunk that Arthur took before the other Earth's appeared. The mirrors are linked in pairs, which means that you either need lots of mirrors to communicate with lots of places, or you need a central location with someone to move the mirrors around, or relay messages. Naturally, only very important correspondence goes through the mirrors. Other messages either need a courier, or the clacks (currently much less advanced than that version, but it conveys the idea), both of which are fairly expensive, and rather slower than the mirrors - of course, if you're especially wealthy, you can buy your own pair(s) of linked mirrors (need prices for things in the Roman Empire - how much did a nice villa cost in various eras?), to keep up with business interests.

I think I answered your other questions on SB.com, but I'm pretty sure there were some things I wanted to answer, but didn't get to, either due to the bloody lag, or the site actually going down, completely (as in, Downforeveryoneorjustme.com says 'It's not just you, it looks down from here.' Note that you need to ask for 'forums.spacebattles.com', since it seems like 'www.spacebattles.com' is up even when the forums are down). There may also be questions I didn't get to see, since the site kept dying so much yesterday and today (to the point that I made a note to my self earlier to look tomorrow in my alerts for things posted after 4:10pm yesterday, as that's as far as I could get, this morning).

I'd say that the typewriters would be popular, though they'd probably mostly be produced locally, with only microchips and such being shipped from Inp-Earth - Interplanetary shipping is bloody expensive, even with a relatively 'short' round trip of 52 light-seconds, so high-value-for-the-mass cargo would be greatly preferred. Microchips are perfect for that.

Speaking of interplanetary shipping, can anyone suggest what books I should be referring to for things like that, outside of GURPS Space and THS? I've been thinking that Inp-Earth military vessels will be somewhat faster than one light-second per day, partly due to acceleration times, while civilian vessels will be a bit slower. This naturally changes as the tech progresses, especially once they make closer contact with the Amazon Women on the Moon, or start hiring Dsp-Martian mercenaries (the mercs certainly won't sell their best tech, but would be quite willing to part with something obsolete, that is still rather better than what we have).

A note on mundane TL9 fusion reactors and engines (and mundane tech in general): they require more fuel, more lead time to build the infrastructure, cannot be made as small as 'magical' reactors, run hotter, and are generally not as safe, but once the infrastructure has been built, they are much cheaper and faster to produce than magical fusion reactors of equivalent capability. Likewise, it means that the enchanters who would be making them, can instead work on other things, that the surviving Selenean databases do not explain how to build, and that the mercenaries cannot or will not sell examples of or information on.

Still thinking about Moon civilizations, and wondering if I should PM a mod to get a poll on the Selenite Biology thread... if they can add polls, here. I'm pretty sure you can add a poll when starting a thread, and I know mods on other forums can edit threads to include polls, but not so sure, here. Wasn't planning on giving Fa-Luna an atmosphere, as that would have been noticed, by now, but any or all of the Earths' Moons could have spirits inhabiting them, possibly whole civilizations of them.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-27-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #168
warellis

[/QUOTE]Lag seems to be okay right now at SB.

1. Do you think those clear electronic typewriters could have a market? One thing I think is cool is that you could see jams or whatever more easily due to the clear casing. Even the casette ribbon made for it is clear.

Charon in your opinions how long would it take for Dsp-Earth to start creating microchips similar to what we/Inp-Earth uses? Would it take some time even with Inp-Earth's help?

1a. Charon would electronic typewriters, since they were invented in the early 1980s and use microchips and such, would they be considered TL8 or TL 5+3?

2. In Inp-Earth's timeline, the Great Depression was ended primarily due to WW2 because jobs were required for stuff like factories. This was the case for the US, though I don't know about other countries. Anyways considering Inp-Earth's involvement in the war, WW2 might end much sooner. So considering Dsp-USA isn't even in the war yet, and considering the war might end much sooner than it did in OTL/Inp-Earth's history, how will this affect the Great Depression in the US?

I was thinking this because I suddenly wondered if people on Dsp-Earth would be even able to buy products from Inp-Earth, if there's no jobs and high unemployment, much higher than anything faced during the Great Recession. If the war ends much sooner, economies like the US's might still be in the gutter.

3. Considering there's Stp-Earth, what would people from there think of these videos?:

Mr. Poppleton's Moustache (an actual real Victorian song)

Just Glue Some Gears On It and call it Steampunk

Steampunk Holiday

These are already on SB.com. I'm just posting them here as well.

Last edited by warellis; 01-27-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #169
Prince Charon

Quote:
The lag at SB wasn't bad for much of the day yesterday, and last night. Do you want me to post my questions here?
OK. Also, thanks. I'll try checking it tonight, and see if it's less aggravating than it was, this morning.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #170
Prince Charon

Quote:
1. Do you think those clear electronic typewriters could have a market? One thing I think is cool is that you could see jams or whatever more easily due to the clear casing. Even the casette ribbon made for it is clear.
Possibly. If nothing else, they'd be novel.

Quote:
Charon in your opinions how long would it take for Dsp-Earth to start creating microchips similar to what we/Inp-Earth uses? Would it take some time even with Inp-Earth's help?
Years, probably. Not a long time, but at least a few years.

Quote:
1a. Charon would electronic typewriters, since they were invented in the early 1980s and use microchips and such, would they be considered TL8 or TL 5+3?
TL8. Otherwise, everything we have is TL0+X.

Quote:
2. In Inp-Earth's timeline, the Great Depression was ended primarily due to WW2 because jobs were required for stuff like factories. This was the case for the US, though I don't know about other countries. Anyways considering Inp-Earth's involvement in the war, WW2 might end much sooner. So considering Dsp-USA isn't even in the war yet, and considering the war might end much sooner than it did in OTL/Inp-Earth's history, how will this affect the Great Depression in the US?

I was thinking this because I suddenly wondered if people on Dsp-Earth would be even able to buy products from Inp-Earth, if there's no jobs and high unemployment, much higher than anything faced during the Great Recession. If the war ends much sooner, economies like the US's might still be in the gutter.
I think the war will last long enough to get people out of the Depression, at least.

Quote:
3. Considering there's Stp-Earth, what would people from there think of these videos?:

Mr. Poppleton's Moustache (an actual real Victorian song)

Just Glue Some Gears On It and call it Steampunk

Steampunk Holiday
Not sure, would have to ask someone more familiar with real victorian culture (not that Stp-Earth's culture is an exact match for RL Earth's culture in 1879, but it's mostly close). Also, my current connection makes watching streaming video inconvenient.

EDIT:

Quote:
Lag seems to be okay right now at SB.
Right now, and for much of today since this morning, in fact, I'm not so much having trouble with the lag, as with the site going down completely. Sort of wondering what's going on there, and when it will be fixed.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-27-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds