Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
arnej

Default Close Combat - back to front

Thinking waaay back to my aikido days, it was not uncommon to end up in a grapple where the foe's back was facing my front.

Looking at the benefits grappling from the rear grant, esp. regarding a choke hold:

Is there a maneuver/technique/whatever to let you get behind your foe in a close combat? I've not been able to find one in Basic or Martial Arts. Maybe in Tech Grappling?

Thanks,

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Close Combat - back to front

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post
Thinking waaay back to my aikido days, it was not uncommon to end up in a grapple where the foe's back was facing my front.

Looking at the benefits grappling from the rear grant, esp. regarding a choke hold:

Is there a maneuver/technique/whatever to let you get behind your foe in a close combat? I've not been able to find one in Basic or Martial Arts. Maybe in Tech Grappling?

Thanks,

arnej
Definitely in Technical Grappling. See Relative Facing, p. 11 and the Change Position technique on p. 35.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 11-28-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnej View Post

Thanks,

arnej
Yah, as Humabout says, the Relative Facing section and Change Position (Force Position Change) actions are both in place to allow specifically this. My grappling experience has a lot of this, and many grappling moves success are predicated on stepping to achieve a flanking or rear position on the foe - standing or not.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Does this fall under "Shift Grip" (MA 117)? Certainly TG has its own way of doing things, but not everyone uses TG.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Does this fall under "Shift Grip" (MA 117)? Certainly TG has its own way of doing things, but not everyone uses TG.
"Shoving People Around" (MA118), which Change Position is based partially on anyway. If not in a grapple, I'd allow an Evade (acrobatic or otherwise) to let you go from in front of the foe to behind him.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Change position is based on Shoving People Around (drat! Ninja'd!). You don't need control points to take advantage of the mechanical support TG gives to grappling, though. The book was written to be fully usable without CP - CP just makes things easier. In fact, the stock "-4 if you're grappled" substitutes directly for the floating penalties for control points anyway, so the resolution mechanics that were introduced in the book would apply pretty easily even without (what the author would consider) the beneficial innovation that is control points.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
arnej

Much appreciate the help, guys. Looks like "Shoving People Around" was what I missed.

Thanks,

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choke hold, close combat, technical grapping, technical grappling