Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: rifles in close combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
What does "pointing with a staff" if not the staff's tip being a point on a line between yourself and the target? If I point my hex forward then I don't think I'd get +1 to Reach at a target to the left, for example.
It would mean that the staff is pointing at the target. The staff doesn't have to be pointing its other end at the wielder at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
If it is a wand, you are probably correct, you are probably "drawing a line from yourself to the target". However with a six foot length of wood, to reduce your distance by 1 yard does not require you to extend your staff out from yourself "drawing a line from you, through the base to the tip, and directly towards your target". You can lazily extend it towards your target, even at an upwards angle, so long as it reduces the distance from you to the target by three feet.
GURPS Magic specifically indicates that pointing the staff at a target is something that can warn the target that you're casting at them. I think you're actually going to have to point the stick at them for it to count, frankly.

Which doesn't mean that the other end of the stick has to be pointed at your body while you do that pointing. That would be weird, and not at all how pointing two-handed sticks is usually done (with a marginal exception for shouldered rifles).