Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #41
Dalillama

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post

If you want to skip a few steps, my ultimate goal is to -somehow- have a flying ship. I thought the best way to do it is by enchantment. It looks like the best way to do it is to go "Wealth" and BUY it off an npc enchanter. Not a satisfactory answer (to me).
Buy it as Signature Gear, and as long as you know the necessary spells, you can write into your backstory that you made it fly as your masterwork or suchlike, as appropriate to your character's past.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #42
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Buy it as Signature Gear, and as long as you know the necessary spells, you can write into your backstory that you made it fly as your masterwork or suchlike, as appropriate to your character's past.
Learn Halt Aging too and however long you spent doing it doesn't matter. :)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #43
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Learn Halt Aging too and however long you spent doing it doesn't matter. :)
Or the backstory includes access to assistants, big powerstones, mana fonts, or something like that which aren't available now because they belong to the Mage's Council, Unseen University, or whatever, and having completed his studies he no longer has free access/is adventuring somewhere far away from there/whatever.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #44
CraigM

Quote:
If you want to skip a few steps, my ultimate goal is to -somehow- have a flying ship. I thought the best way to do it is by enchantment. It looks like the best way to do it is to go "Wealth" and BUY it off an npc enchanter. Not a satisfactory answer (to me).
Beginning the game with an epic-scale magic artefact like a permanently enchanted flying ship is a huge advantage. It should (and does) cost enough character points to consume a very large chunk of a beginning character's point budget.

The ability to quickly and easily create such items at will is a deity-level power. I wouldn't expect to see that outside of a high-end superhero game.

However, if you instead go for the ability to temporarily make a ship fly, that drops the power requirement massively.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #45
TimTimmy

I do not expect to start with an artifact-level item. I am asking for help on mapping the path that would get my character to his goal eventually.

- Getting FP from Material Difference was a great idea. The Pyramid which describes it is currently not on our list of books, but I might be able to add it.

- There was also the idea of enchanting 1' squares of wood individually and attaching them 1 at a time to a ship. This is a great idea. Each would require 200 FP, so now the problem can be split up. In about 45 years you can lift a 2000lb ship. Not being sarcastic; this is actually the closest I/we have come to a workable solution, given my constraints.

- There was the suggestion of making the ship fly temporarily. Since Magic carpet has a duration of 10 minutes, I am not sure how that would work. Details?

I also found this other web site. It have the following paragraph in it: "Assuming your energy reserves are large enough and you buy level 20 on the Recover Energy spell, you can enchant 528 points of magic items per day using the Quick and Dirty method. This requires you to have at least 48 points of FP / Energy Reserve available. You can enchant magic items to produce any effect you could create with a spell. There are a bare handful of spells you can enchant for 50 energy."
There are many things I don't get there. Could someone parse it for me? If I can enchant 528 points, why do I care about 48 points of FP reserves?

Thanks again.

Last edited by TimTimmy; 07-31-2017 at 03:31 PM.
TimTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #46
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I also found this other web site. It have the following paragraph in it: "Assuming your energy reserves are large enough and you buy level 20 on the Recover Energy spell, you can enchant 528 points of magic items per day using the Quick and Dirty method. This requires you to have at least 48 points of FP / Energy Reserve available. You can enchant magic items to produce any effect you could create with a spell. There are a bare handful of spells you can enchant for 50 energy."
There are many things I don't get there. Could someone parse it for me? If I can enchant 528 points, why do I care about 48 points of FP reserves?
More context for the quote would be helpful. Could you link the site you're getting this from?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #47
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Since the item in question would likely cost milllions, Buying it as SG would still cost hundreds, if not thousands, of points. In 3e Magic Items, the Sky Pinnace cost $M10 so, yes, wealth and a purchase may be the way to go. 75 or 100 points in Wealth would be enough depending on the campaign's starting wealth.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #48
Culture20

Quote:
- There was also the idea of enchanting 1' squares of wood individually and attaching them 1 at a time to a ship. This is a great idea. Each would require 200 FP, so now the problem can be split up. In about 45 years you can lift a 2000lb ship. Not being sarcastic; this is actually the closest I/we have come to a workable solution, given my constraints.
There are ways to do Q&D 200 (without powerstones to help casting refreshes; powerstones recharge very slowly).

Quote:
- There was the suggestion of making the ship fly temporarily. Since Magic carpet has a duration of 10 minutes, I am not sure how that would work. Details?
"Half that to maintain." This means every 10 minutes, the wizard or circle must spend half the initial cost to maintain a non-permanent spell. This can be beneficial if you have a lot of wizards on your ship, as per the ceremonial casting rules, you may switch out casters while maintaining. Casting this spell in battle would be risky; hostile spectators are bad juju!

Quote:
The 528 points is a total. You could make a bunch of powerstones or fortified helmets, but a 528 point item is beyond your reach for one casting. (the 528 assumes multiple castings, rest and recharge time).

Q&D can be done with help though, which is the best way to speed up low-hundreds casting cost. It requires many skilled casters who each have hefty but realistic FT and ER.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #49
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I do not expect to start with an artifact-level item. I am asking for help on mapping the path that would get my character to his goal eventually.
The thing is that that's relatively easy to solve if you strike the part about them being an on-call adventurer and instead have them aim to lead a well-resourced cohort of enchanters and spend decades working on their craft.

...But that doesn't seem to be where you are at all.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Since the item in question would likely cost milllions, Buying it as SG would still cost hundreds, if not thousands, of points.
Patrons are cheaper than signature gear after a certain point (specifically 16 points if all they do is give you some expensive stuff and leave your life forever afterwards).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote