Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: New to TFT, bought the pocketbox version what next?

Good move; the LE boxed set will just blow your doors off.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #12
hcobb

There is a talent in that scenario that isn't in your box set.

The bandit leader has an armor value one greater than his leather armor and small shield would give him in melee because of his Toughness talent.

You can ignore this when playing with just the Melee/Wizard rules.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
There is a talent in that scenario that isn't in your box set.

The bandit leader has an armor value one greater than his leather armor and small shield would give him in melee because of his Toughness talent.

You can ignore this when playing with just the Melee/Wizard rules.
hcobb is correct - my initial plan was to stick with Melee/Wizard, but ITL is just loaded with goodness. I should have added a note about that in the scenario.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
The Pocket Box you picked up is a great travel game, though the counters and maps are not compatible with any other components from The Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition, Death Test, or any newer expansions.
Technically, that's partially true. If you purchase the PDF editions of TFT adventures that come with counters, such as TFT Adventures or Four Perilous Journeys, the latter currently on Kickstarter, you can print the counters at 75% scaling onto card stock and use the counters in the classic/pocket box scale. If you print the fronts and backs onto card stock and glue them together, carefully aligned, they are fairly sturdy; almost as good as the Ogre VHS edition. Rubber cement is good; a spray adhesive is even better!

If you can acquire an additional empty pocket box (check add-ons Backerkit on the Pocket Box crowdfund campaign), it's a good place to store homemade counters and take them with you when taking your Pocket Box with you for more advanced adventures. When you're ready for Adventuring with In the Labryinth, you can be fully equipped with the Pocket Box.

I'm a fan of the Pocket Box scale so I have hundreds, probably over a THOUSAND homemade 2mm thick counters specifically for use with TFT! The size may be smaller but the action and adventure is just as big!
Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
ParadoxGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
I posted a few tactical encounters designed mostly for just Melee/Wizard - something hopefully a bit more fun than having two Heroes or Wizards duke it out. They're free, and can give you something new while you decide how far you're going to go.

All of these are designed with 1.5" hexes, but they should work just fine.

here's the forum post for Panic at the Thisco, which includes a Melee-format map of a tavern (this was my most recent, and I'm definitely overdue for the next one).

This was my first encounter - the summoning ritual of Murak Zorazz - and here is the updated map, after I made some adjustments. It was designed with simple terrain so you can just use a Melee map with tokens on it to represent the terrain.

And here's The Druid's Hut. This one doesn't use a Melee-sized map, so you'll have to print it, or sketch it out on a Chessex map or something.
PANIC AT THE THISCO!
A great name!

Also, I wish to add a link to these adventures in the TFT Links List, at the next update.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #16
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
PANIC AT THE THISCO!
A great name!
You are the first (aside from my brother) to comment on the name :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Also, I wish to add a link to these adventures in the TFT Links List, at the next update.
Feel free to link them! I no longer have a website or my domain, so I don't have a place (aside from my Google Drive) to host them at the moment.

I am brainstorming more encounters - had to spend too much time in the real world lately to work on TFT. But, I'm hoping that changes pretty quickly.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #17
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack112 View Post
I appreciate the warm welcome y’all, thanks for the quick reply’s too. I’ve never played an rpg, so it sounds like the legacy box is the way to go! I’ll keep checking back at the shop to see if we’re able to order one.

Malchdael, thank you for the scenarios! I have the day off so I think I might try printing those out
If you don't want to wait as long (and want a GREAT discount too), you could back the current Kickstarter and get literally *everything* sold to date in ALL the Kickstarters since last summer... Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ny/description

The EVERYTHING pledge at the bottom there is a bit of a chunk of change all in one bite, but trust me, if you wait for it all to trickle into your local store, you'll be out quite a bit more AND you'll be missing some great additions (like the playmats). But, whatever you decide, welcome to a game that some of us have played for 40 years, and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have over all those decades!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #18
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
If you want the full Fantasy Trip system, technically you only need the book In The Labyrinth — but you can also get that book with a whole pile of extra goodies in the big Legacy Edition boxed set.
Unfortunately, the single book In The Labyrinth is almost complete.

It is just missing the necessary list or table of adjustments to DX.

One complete source for these would be the additional GM Screen.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Unfortunately, the single book In The Labyrinth is almost complete.

It is just missing the necessary list or table of adjustments to DX.

One complete source for these would be the additional GM Screen.
They're all in the book. Having them in a table is a matter of convenience, not completeness.

(And relying on a table can be misleading sometimes too. e.g. the one about -1 DX for multi-hex flying creatures, which the table author seems to have just invented rather than try to explain the actual more interesting rule on ITL 116.)

Last edited by Skarg; 05-12-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #20
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
They're all in the book. Having them in a table is a matter of convenience, not completeness.
Great point. Thank you for correcting me. I see that the information is indeed spread among the rule sections.

I feel much better about this.

I apologize for any misinformation for not seeing this earlier. (I had also made the same mistake in a couple of other threads.)

Last edited by Tom H.; 05-12-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Elaboration
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote