Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
jimmylogan

Default Gencon 2017

Yep - you read that right - 2017... I'm looking to make plans to play some LIVE Car Wars at Gencon. I posted this on Facebook this morning...

Now that Gencon 2016 is over, I'm planning for next year. Barring a[nother] change in policy by the boss, I WILL be able to go next year!

I'm planning a LIVE Car Wars game with my son Kyle, MenothJohn himself (John Christensen) and Brent York from high school. Who else is in?

If we can do something "official" with Steve Jackson Games' involvement, sure - I'm all for that. But I'm not against just having a 'pick up game' at one of the myriad of locations available for open gaming...

If you're interested, let me know! No reason why we can't have more than one battle, if there is enough interest, but I'd rather have one great get together with friends and walk away satisfied than to have to rush around and plan several. :-)

Also - I intend to play some Star Wars RPG with my son as well. Looking now to get on the list from some GM's (yes, Phil, I'm looking at you - your game we were in two years ago was some of the BEST Star Wars RPG I've ever experienced!).

Kyle and I have an Imperial Assault campaign to finish as well, and I think he would enjoy being the Imperial Master against more than just me. Who's in?

Lastly - X-Wing. I don't know now if I will make any official tournaments, but I'm hoping for SOME kind of action...

So - interested ? I don't come to this forum often, but I get daily emails on updates. If you want to contact me directly I'm at jimmylogan0916@gmail.com

And yes, I'm the MADHAT guy and the PBEM guy. Current game is at http://mh46-madhatpbem.blogspot.com
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Gencon 2017

Note: We will have the new edition of Car Wars at Gen Con next year and will focus on that. We are pushing to have the games and first wave of faction sets ready to reach stores around Gen Con.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
jimmylogan

Thanks for the update Phil. I'll admit I've been not looking at the forums lately and am WAY behind on 6e news. :-)

That being said I assume there won't be 'classic' support at Gencon 2017? Or too early to say?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
kjamma4

Compendium 2.5? If so, I'm in.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #5
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan View Post
That being said I assume there won't be 'classic' support at Gencon 2017? Or too early to say?
What kind of support would you want? SJG hasn't done anything with Car Wars at Gen Con since 2001. (The CW5 World Championship in 2002 was at Origins, which is the last SJG-supported Car Wars event IIRC.)

Don't let that stop you, though; anyone can run events at Gen Con using any system they'd like. SPARK has been running Car Wars off and on since Gen Con moved to Indy in 2003. We didn't run one this year, but others did. (A quick search shows four CW events in the system.)

The question is whether you want to guarantee yourself space by putting your event in the book and letting anyone sign up to play.

Last edited by Parody; 08-09-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Compendium 2.5? If so, I'm in.
Maybe - right now I'm leaning toward Classic Rules, since they are what is 'available' at retail, that's what I'm using in the PBEM's and they are 'simplified' compared to 2.5.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
What kind of support would you want? SJG hasn't done anything with Car Wars at Gen Con since 2001. (The CW5 World Championship in 2002 was at Origins, which is the last SJG-supported Car Wars event IIRC.)
I'm not necessarily looking for official support for MADHAT events, was just asking the question in a general sense.

Quote:
Don't let that stop you, though; anyone can run events at Gen Con using any system they'd like.
Yes - pick up games that were 'scheduled' via Twitter were the thing two years ago. That's basically what I had in mind.

Quote:
SPARK has been running Car Wars off and on since Gen Con moved to Indy in 2003. We didn't run one this year, but others did. (A quick search shows four CW events in the system.)

The question is whether you want to guarantee yourself space by putting your event in the book and letting anyone sign up to play.
That's the part that I'm not real thrilled about... I would love to have something 'in the book,' so to speak, and I'm happy with ANYONE that wants to play getting to play, but I'm MORE aiming toward a good time playing some live Car Wars with people that I don't get to see across the physical table from me. :-)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
Parody

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking for official support for MADHAT events, was just asking the question in a general sense.
I guess I still don't know what you'd want then. What I'm used to people wanting when they say "support from the publisher" is either prizes or official recognition. The vast majority of events at Gen Con have neither, and you don't need them.

Quote:
That's the part that I'm not real thrilled about... I would love to have something 'in the book,' so to speak, and I'm happy with ANYONE that wants to play getting to play, but I'm MORE aiming toward a good time playing some live Car Wars with people that I don't get to see across the physical table from me. :-)
Since I only play with our group at a physical table, it's not that big a draw for me to play privately organized games with folks from the Internet. I'd rather show that "Yes, you can still play Car Wars!" by running events that are available to everyone, which is what we did for many years and reintroduced a bunch of folks to the game.

Don't let me stop you, though. I can understand wanting to meet and play against folks face-to-face. :)

You could, if you're going to be bringing your stuff anyway, always run event(s) for the public as well as your privately-organized game.

As far as next year goes for SPARK, I suspect we will not be running a Car Wars event at Gen Con 2017. If you want priority placement as an independent GM you need to submit events in late January. As the person who organizes events for our little group I don't want to commit us to running a version of the game that we don't know and may not even be available before the convention but I also wouldn't want to go up against the new version if it is available.

Last edited by Parody; 08-09-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I guess I still don't know what you'd want then. What I'm used to people wanting when they say "support from the publisher" is either prizes or official recognition. The vast majority of events at Gen Con have neither, and you don't need them.
Phil said they plan to have 6e there, which prompted me to ask about Classic 'support' from SJG. If 6e is out and ready then I assume that will be the push and Classic will be left in the dust, much like 2.5 was ignored for a long time and then suddenly Classic is out and that's the attention (Arenas, etc.).

That's it - nothing I *want* - just asking the question out loud that came across my mind. It would give Phil a chance to say, "oh no, we still plan to support/promote/whatever Classic as well!"

Does that help to clarify? Or are you still under the impression I'm asking for support for MADHAT events?

Quote:
Since I only play with our group at a physical table, it's not that big a draw for me to play privately organized games with folks from the Internet. I'd rather show that "Yes, you can still play Car Wars!" by running events that are available to everyone, which is what we did for many years and reintroduced a bunch of folks to the game.
Ah - but there is the difference between you and me! I don't play the game AT ALL anymore. My friends that grew up on this game live hours away from each other. That's originally why I started my PBEM games (now up to number 46) - to give the four of us a chance to play again. Turned into something I opened for the Internet as a whole and now I'm the referee only. I'm looking to PLAY with my friends (old ones as well as ones I've made since starting this endeavor) and not just run a demo or a game for only others. I do that on a daily basis. :-)

Quote:
Don't let me stop you, though. I can understand wanting to meet and play against folks face-to-face. :)
Trust me - you can't talk me out of this. LOL

Quote:
You could, if you're going to be bringing your stuff anyway, always run event(s) for the public as well as your privately-organized game.
And I'm not against that, but I don't want that to take my time, energy and attention. My oldest son now lives in Indy and his girlfriend has been going to Gencon for years, so even though I'm a long time gamer and Gencon is a natural fit for the geek in me, it is PRIMARILY a visit with my son and a chance to game at a table with him as well as visit the vendors with him, geek out over the latest Star Wars, etc. He's not played Car Wars since he tried 5e (when he and his little brother were VERY young) and he wants in on this as well. :-) THAT (along with face to face time with friends old and new) is the goal here. :-)

Quote:
As far as next year goes for SPARK, I suspect we will not be running a Car Wars event at Gen Con 2017. If you want priority placement as an independent GM you need to submit events in late January.
Thanks for the info, but not sure I even want to go that route... I would hate for my friends to not be able to get tickets and suddenly the goal of this is shattered. When I was there two years ago my son and I drove back to a hotel LATE at night and played in a Star Wars RPG game that I had 'signed up for' with the GM weeks before. No tickets - no schedule - just a planned get together. He ran the same module three or more times during that four days for different people - never had an empty seat - no one had to buy a ticket - etc. THAT is what I'm looking to do.

If it turns out there is an empty seat and someone wants in - BY ALL MEANS I will allow it!

Quote:
As the person who organizes events for our little group I don't want to commit us to running a version of the game that we don't know and may not even be available before the convention but I also wouldn't want to go up against the new version if it is available.
Understood. Different goals so different procedures. :-)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
Parody

Quote:
Phil said they plan to have 6e there, which prompted me to ask about Classic 'support' from SJG. If 6e is out and ready then I assume that will be the push and Classic will be left in the dust, much like 2.5 was ignored for a long time and then suddenly Classic is out and that's the attention (Arenas, etc.).
Oh. Well, using that definition, I would say that there's never been SJG support for the reprint of Classic at Gen Con, just like there's been no support for earlier editions since 2001 at Gen Con and since 2002 in general.

I don't count having a few copies for sale at the booth, given your definition. You can almost always find copies of Car Wars materials for sale around Gen Con; I would recommend the Auction Store. There just wasn't a push associated with it as far as I could tell.

Quote:
Does that help to clarify? Or are you still under the impression I'm asking for support for MADHAT events?
I didn't think you would be asking for the type of support I described, which is why I was confused.

Quote:
Ah - but there is the difference between you and me! I don't play the game AT ALL anymore. ...
That sounds like the problem you should fix, but not just at Gen Con. :)

Last edited by Parody; 08-09-2016 at 10:24 PM.