Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
BKThomson

Default Items - Unequip

I'm having a struggle with understanding items on the Unequip on the table. When can I do that? What items are valid? Can the items be used if on the unequip say if I put a '+5 To either side in combat' card and then try to play it in the next combat round.

Any links or detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated on how the unequip portion of game play is used.

Last edited by BKThomson; 08-05-2015 at 02:48 PM.
BKThomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Items - Sideboard / Unequip

First off, let's avoid terms from other games that don't apply to Munchkin. There is no term "sideboard" referenced, mentioned, or written in the rules for Munchkin, so referencing it here can only confuse new players who don't know that term from some other game, and then try to find it in the rules.

In Munchkin, you can have any number of small (those not marked Big) Items in play, and one Big Item in play. All of those Items you have in play are carried. Of those carried Items, you can normally use (equip) one Headgear Item, one Armor Item, one Footgear Item, and two Hand Items or one 2 Hands Item, and any number of unclassified Items (e.g., Kneepads Of Allure). One-shot Items (those that Item cards that say "usable once only") are Items, therefore they can go into play. The rules make the point several times that you can play one-shot Items for use from those Items you are carrying or from your hand directly whenever it would be appropriate to play them. Carried Items that you are not using must be turned sideways so that people know you're not currently using them and so they know they shouldn't count for your combat strength. You can carry an Item you can not use (e.g., a Cleric can carry an Item that is usable only by a Warrior), but since you can't use it, you would turn it sideways.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
BKThomson

Default Re: Items - Unequip

Thank you for the information and excuse my referencing another games mechanics it was not my intention of cause other users confusions.

Sorry for asking such a basic question, and yes there is text in the rules explaining items but I like to understand the game by examples of play. It is clearer to me than some of the wording in the rules.

Based on what you said I believe I understand equip vs. unequipped.

If I have my core character on the table

No Class
No Race

Equipped I have:
Headgear
Footgear
One Handed Weapon

One-Shots Items

Equipped - Freezing Explosive Potion
Equipped - Electric Radioactive Acid Potion

I have on the table
Unequipped - Horse Feathers (Centaur only)
Unequipped - Afterburner - (No steed at time)

To me what I listed this is a valid card placement for cards on the table.

It is my understanding that for either cards One-Shots / unequipped I have I could keep them in my hand unless I come to the cards in hand limit then I can place them on the table. Also if I am correct that I can take an equipped item and place it back in my hand if needed. I'm not force to place all items on the table either equipped or unequipped.

Anything else I may be missing?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Items - Unequip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKThomson View Post
Also if I am correct that I can take an equipped item and place it back in my hand if needed.
This is not correct; once played, Items must stay on the table. Also, one-shots are never "equipped" as such; they may be played to the table, but they go from being carried to being used.

Other than that, you seem to have things well in hand. So to speak.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
BKThomson

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I think I understand with the one-shots it is more terminology that they are place on the table for use. Though I see strategically it may not be the best idea since it gives a 'tell' what you can do to other players, as well if a thief is in play what that character could take from me.

So from my example before I have my core character on the table

No Class
No Race

Equipped I have:
Headgear
Footgear
One Handed Weapon

One-Shots Items Available for Use On The Table

Freezing Explosive Potion
Electric Radioactive Acid Potion

I have on the table card turned
Unequipped - Horse Feathers (Centaur only)
Unequipped - Afterburner - (No steed at time)

Thanks for clarifying the once on table card stays on the table and I assume that would go for Unequipped items as well.

So then the only way it could be removed from my possession for either items equipped / unequipped / one-shot on the table would be
  • Thief Steals
  • Sell for Level
  • Used item
  • ?? Curse or action Lose an item ??
  • ?? Passed on for Charity ??
Old 08-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Brf

Charity is only to reduce your hand-size. Once an item is played to the table, it is no-longer in your hand, so it would not be given for charity.

You can also trade carried items to other players, as long as neither of you is in combat.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote