Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
ISNorden

Default Re: Seraphim and Profanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
I think Seraphim (and angels serving more proper Archangels like Dominic) would avoid using profanity that refers to damnation, Hell, or such--that's simply not a laughing matter, and even though an experienced Seraph would know that shouting "damn it!" at a wall after stubbing one's toe isn't in English an actual condemnation of the object to Gehenna, the word probably has uncomfortable Symphonic undertones.

[snippage]

I imagine any Servitor of Destiny avoids heavy profanity usage, as it cheapens the meaning of real words and often inflicts long-term self-esteem issues, which might lead someone to his Fate. On the flip side, I'm sure the Groves see their fair share of Malakim jerking into being next to their Hearts with a 100% truthful, honest frustration manifesting in the divine language.
All very good points! I imagine that any angel with a Role in some country where "religious" cursing is common, will resort to euphemisms when he feels the need to vent. A Dominican working as a cop in Gothenburg will probably get mocked as a goody-two-shoes when he says "Get the heck out of here, before the whole darn place blows sky-high"...but at least he won't feel bad about adding more hellish cacophony to the world.

Tags
dissonance, in nomine, profanity, seraphim