Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #1
Bicorn

Default Characters with power limiters

Thinking about how to best implement the "limiter accessory" trope for a character in a manner that best fits how such things usually work in genre media.

In superhero comics and action anime you often see characters who cannot fully control their powers, so they have to use some sort of limiter that keeps those powers sealed when not needed; releasing the limiter may involve taking off (or putting on) an item, or it might happen when exposed to some stimulus.

For the limiter, Accessibility might be an appropriate way to model it; "only while not wearing the limiter" is probably worth no more than -10%; might even be 0% since lack of access to the power is a trade-off for not having to deal with the problems it causes. For the stimulus-based ones, Trigger seems like the logical choice.

For the lack of control aspect, Uncontrollable seems like an obvious choice, but how that works mechanically doesn't really fit how these sorts of characters are usually portrayed - the issue is usually more about inability to hold back (e.g. being so strong that you destroy things that you try to interact with) than about spontaneous manifestations of the power.

Opinions? Suggestions?
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Gnomasz

Default Re: Characters with power limiters

My first thought is to use PK's Either/Or limitations and couple either Always On or Uncontrollable with Gadget limitations for hardware limiters or Temporary Disadvantage (Addiction) for pharmaceutical suppressors (Trigger would only give you a minute of proper usage of the ability).
For example, Cyclop's eye beam would be Always On unless he had his goggles. Always On for an attack like that would be -40%, and the Gadget would be Breakable (let's say around 10 DR), SM-4 and Can Be Stolen (forcefully), for -35%. So it's 0.4 * 0.35 = 0.14, so it's -14%.
I think it comes out fair.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Culture20

mitigator on the uncontrollable, treating the "uncontrollable" portion of the advantage as a disad? Reduces the limitation percentage? Seems fair in my mind; Iceman cursed with super-ice power but has to wear a belt to make it always controllable. The ability is less expensive than normal, but more expense than a standard uncontrollable version.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Gnomasz

Sounds good, and maybe a bit simpler.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Culture20

Apparently the mitigator route is what Phantasm used for Cyclops in his Marvel reboot project: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129574
Also keep in mind any extra options for mitigators on "always on" etc that are just temporary disadvantages characters can choose to use: Cyclops can close his eyes, Black Bolt can remain mute, Future Flash can choose to slow down (although that one is probably just "Usually On" for his powers).
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Apparently the mitigator route is what Phantasm used for Cyclops in his Marvel reboot project: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129574
Also keep in mind any extra options for mitigators on "always on" etc that are just temporary disadvantages characters can choose to use: Cyclops can close his eyes, Black Bolt can remain mute, Future Flash can choose to slow down (although that one is probably just "Usually On" for his powers).
It seemed the most accurate and simplistic route I could come up with for an external mitigator on an otherwise full-power always-on ability. I've kept an eye on this thread for other ideas, but nice to see support for my initial "mitigated limitations" idea.

(I forget, was that given print in Power-Ups 8: Limitations? I reverse-engineered it from the "Limited Enhancements" sidebox in Basic Set: Characters years ago.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote