Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 06:48 AM   #21
Suncrush
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
It isn't that we didn't have printers (dot matrix printers were available enough) but that the creation, distribution, and printing mechanisms didn't exist yet. Those early maps were (more than likely) drawn on paper, not on a computer.
Ok, if you had a computer at home, you more than likely had a printer. But, home computers were not by any means the norm when Car Wars released.

The maps were almost certainly drawn on computer. They have obvious fill textures, and all the hallmarks of ca. 1980 vector illustration.
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
Magesmiley
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
Ok, if you had a computer at home, you more than likely had a printer. But, home computers were not by any means the norm when Car Wars released.

The maps were almost certainly drawn on computer. They have obvious fill textures, and all the hallmarks of ca. 1980 vector illustration.
If I recall, at one point Scott Haring indicated how much easier it was to do the maps for Arenas and that most of the old maps were done by hand, using stuff like graphic tape.
__________________
Dynamax Designs, Designing quality since 2035.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #23
josephrey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
If I recall, at one point Scott Haring indicated how much easier it was to do the maps for Arenas and that most of the old maps were done by hand, using stuff like graphic tape.
Ya, that was gonna be my guess, but I have nothing to back that up. I always had the feeling they were done by hand, using zipatones and screentones for the greyscales and textures and grass. I don't have any maps in front of me, but recall some mailboxes and things that looked hand-drawn.
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #24
Blue Ghost
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spinward Marches
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

I got my copy of Arenas. Wow. I've never heard of some of these. Very interesting.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #25
Parody
 
Parody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
Ya, that was gonna be my guess, but I have nothing to back that up. I always had the feeling they were done by hand, using zipatones and screentones for the greyscales and textures and grass. I don't have any maps in front of me, but recall some mailboxes and things that looked hand-drawn.
At my small-town college newspaper we were doing this into the early '90s. Print articles out of Pagemaker and paste onto the board; add picture prints, advertisements (or leave spots for the paper to add them), and use tape for borders. It was a magnificent example of technology in transition thanks to the college having newer (and more expensive) software and computers than the local paper that printed everything for us.
__________________
Parody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #26
Parody
 
Parody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I got my copy of Arenas. Wow. I've never heard of some of these. Very interesting.
This post from Magesmiley lists the sources for a bunch of arenas that were under consideration, if you care. More of them than I remembered were from ADQs and such rather than L'Outrance and the Arena Book.
__________________
Parody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
Blue Ghost
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spinward Marches
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
This post from Magesmiley lists the sources for a bunch of arenas that were under consideration, if you care. More of them than I remembered were from ADQs and such rather than L'Outrance and the Arena Book.
It's a very cool product. SJGames does not disappoint. Now I just need to try them out on some locals.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #28
Chernobyl
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

I for one would not mind them going back through the old Autoduel America GURPS supplements and flesh out some of the arenas mentioned in those pages. some are just names on paper.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #29
jimmylogan
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
I for one would not mind them going back through the old Autoduel America GURPS supplements and flesh out some of the arenas mentioned in those pages. some are just names on paper.
That's a GREAT idea! I never used them, but had to be some good stuff there... The Road Atlases might have some good content to mine as well...
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #30
Suncrush
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default Re: Car Wars Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylogan View Post
That's a GREAT idea! I never used them, but had to be some good stuff there... The Road Atlases might have some good content to mine as well...
There's a big park in downtown Pittsburgh where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers join to form the Ohio. I have plans to map it as a combined river/off-road arena for boat, hovercraft and off-road auto duelling.

The real dimensions are far too large for a Car Wars map, so I have to decide how much to shrink it to make it playable, but still feel realistic.

(The Fort, which is the signature piece that would make the arena, is at a place where the land is 1000' wide, and the rivers are 800' across at that point. Even if you wanted to run the rivers to the map edge, defining the arena with buoys, real-world scale produces a 5-foot wide map between the rivers.)

Last edited by Suncrush; 02-12-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.