Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #21
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Musical Composition and Musical Instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
Using inspiration from the world of Charlie Stross would also allow Musical Instrument (Violin) to be used as a dangerous weapon.
For that one, the instrument is the dangerous weapon. Skill is for getting to only kill the right things.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
Shostak

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Musical Composition and Musical Instrument

I've longed for a game with an enchanted bagpipe that would strike fear into the enemy while bolstering the courage of the performer's friends.

And then you could have the MacGuffin of the reeds that were always in tune that are rumored to me made in a distant land ...
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:09 AM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I've longed for a game with an enchanted bagpipe that would strike fear into the enemy while bolstering the courage of the performer's friends.
I've seen a variant of that in a D&D game. The party were travelling, when a group are seen in the distance coming the other way along the trail. The party hide and watch. It's a group of goblins, marching. Their marching song is "Dixie", played on solo bagpipe. They died horribly.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:12 AM   #24
nicolaieve

I've recently had a discussion with my GM regarding versatile, do you consider that it affects Musical Instrument and Musical Composition?
nicolaieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 AM   #25
Phantasm

Musical Instrument, yes. There have been many instances of this historically; some of the most versatile people have played a number of unrelated instruments with equal proficiency.

I'm not sure about Musical Composition, but as a GM I'd be inclined to permit it.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 AM   #26
Phil Masters

"Versatile" is actually rather misnamed; as described, it's really more like "Innovative" or "Inventive".

Hence, I'd allow it to apply regularly to Musical Composition - in fact, anyone classified as a great composer should be more or less required to take it. I'd also let it apply to Musical Instrument (and Singing) when improvising, including things like working up an ad hoc band arrangement of a tune.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #27
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
In a Lovecraftian Mythos campaign, Musical Instrument (Viol) and Musical Instrument (Pipes) should be usable for occult purposes like keeping otherworldly creatures at bay or keeping them docile. Using inspiration from the world of Charlie Stross would also allow Musical Instrument (Violin) to be used as a dangerous weapon.
Surely that's Musical Influence, no?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Surely that's Musical Influence, no?
More like a complete school of ritual magic with Musical Instrument as the core skill, and a prerequisite of a very special instrument. Musical Influence isn't deadly enough.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #29
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
More like a complete school of ritual magic with Musical Instrument as the core skill, and a prerequisite of a very special instrument. Musical Influence isn't deadly enough.
Sounds like a lot of GM work.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #30
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Sounds like a lot of GM work.
You can use the High Craft rules from Pyramid #3/66.

Tags
basic, musical composition, musical instrument, skill of the week