Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #31
Anders

Default Re: GURPS supplements that you'll like read

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
The Viking Era ended in 1066 at the Battle of Stamford Bridge and the Roman Empire ended in 1453 when Constantinople fell to the Turks. How exactly is this book possible?
But Rome fell in 410.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #32
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
I am convinced that a near infinite set could be generated simply on the variances in interpretation of 'orc/ork'. They are as varied, numerous, and subtle as their elven counterparts.

Nymdok
An entire book on Orc-kind, similar to Zombies or Dragons, would be awesome.

------

My personal wish list includes GURPS Bughunt!, an Action or DF-style take on the 'space marines shooting up evil aliens' genre, GURPS Ultra Tech Rehashed and/or Ultra Tech Companions (including new rules for cybertech, computers, ultra-tech manufacturing, and more, and hopefully rules to make Ultra Tech mesh better with High Tech and Low Tech), and some kind of GURPS Business, a book about running entire businesses or towns or economies or countries or whatever using Mass Combat-like rules. Kinda like a marriage of a 4X game and GURPS. Entirely unreasonable idea, but would still be cool.

Last edited by PK; 06-28-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: PM me if you want to know - it's nothing bad
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
The Viking Era ended in 1066 at the Battle of Stamford Bridge and the Roman Empire ended in 1453 when Constantinople fell to the Turks. How exactly is this book possible?
A swing and a miss on the Pedantry table. No one mentioned the fall of the roman EMPIRE, only Rome.
;)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #34
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A swing and a miss on the Pedantry table. No one mentioned the fall of the roman EMPIRE, only Rome.
;)
In 476 no one thought anything unusual had happened. The Ostrogoth king didn't name another powerless figurehead "emperor" after he forced the previous one to step down. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened.

Justinian I reclaimed Rome in 540 (by Belisarius using trickery and angering Justinian's wife who distrusted the general) and a few years later after Justinian's Plague Rome was overtaken by Germanic warlords yet again. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened.

The Fall of Rome wasn't anything special until the Renaissance and people in Italy (largely descendants of those Germans, mind you) thought it must have been a major event and created the myth of the "Fall of Rome" and relabeled the Eastern Roman Empire (i.e the Roman Empire) the "Byzantine Empire" to make it an even bigger deal. (Let's not get into the Holy Roman Empire which was neither "holy" nor "Roman" and was solidly German and largely secular.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:50 AM   #35
GoblynByte

I would love to see updates of the 3e books Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues. Books stuffed with templates.

In fact, I think more catalog books of any type would be great. Animals, monsters, vehicles, NPCs, templates, etc.

Yes, yes, I know the standard answer is "but you can do that yourself [with these 4 books and 6 hours a day of free time]." But an issue I encounter numerous times in introducing others to the game is the inability to play it out of the box. Why does GURPS need to limit its audience like that? It can be the most flexible system on the planet AND be friendly to those who don't have the time to develop 99% of the content.

Provide a multitude of examples in a series of books portraying prefab samples of various subjects. Not only does this help the time-strapped GM get to the table faster, but it provides valuable benchmarks when the user becomes more advanced and wants to develop his own material. There's an urge to think of this as damaging the openness of GURPS, but it could more appropriately be seen as helping people get started *before* they start to customize their own stuff.
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:03 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
This is simple to set, you just need a situation where the pirates have a high chance of intercepting merchantmen (Say just on the point where you exit hyperspace from a worlds biggest trade partner) but there's low chance of the pirates being intercepted in turn by the police.
That's no small feat, being able to both create chokepoints and prevent chokepoints from being patrolled.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:34 AM   #37
Anders

Bribes, vicky, bribes to keep the authorities look the other way. You may even get the merchants to bribe you which will mean you're well on your way to becoming a respected government.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #38
scc

Anders has the right off it. Most drive systems will create the chokepoints, at least between a world and it's biggest trade partner(s). But the chance of there being a ship in position to stop pirates has more to do with politics then anything else. A single world polity may find better uses to spend money then maintaining that heavy a DSP. For reference a RENEGADE-CLASS CORSAIR cost $67.5M while a PROSPERITY-CLASS HEAVY STAR FREIGHTER costs $1,310.45M, so a single catch may make up for multiple lost raiders.

And on a related note that I forgot before, I've got a pyramid article in the works that can explain the classic tramp freighter, with good odds of it being published if I finish it, this stuff should have been in space.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #39
Tomsdad

OK I'd like Guns/weapons of WW2 and Cold war/modern guns (I admit it I like GURPS gun books)

Quote:
In 476 no one thought anything unusual had happened. The Ostrogoth king didn't name another powerless figurehead "emperor" after he forced the previous one to step down. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened....
By that argument neither did the Viking age end at Stanford brook in 1066

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-26-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #40
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's no small feat, being able to both create chokepoints and prevent chokepoints from being patrolled.
In most piracy settings, you will also tend to have weak law enforcement and the potential for pirates to be able to (at least temporarily) outgun local naval forces. Possibly complicated by the pirates being at least part-time naval forces themselves (as per the Caribbean in the "Golden Age" of Piracy).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules, supplements