Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Racial attribute limits

Are there any other racial attribute limits? I keep rolling a bunch of low ST and high IQ: "Hobgoblins: These are big, stupid goblins." Limit them to IQ 10?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Racial attribute limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Are there any other racial attribute limits? I keep rolling a bunch of low ST and high IQ: "Hobgoblins: These are big, stupid goblins." Limit them to IQ 10?
Other limits besides which ones?

Well it depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your random characters. What die formula are you using? I'd tend to just have them tend to put more points in ST & DX, but not make it impossible to spend a bunch in IQ, but again it depends on what the purpose of your table is.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'd tend to just have them tend to put more points in ST & DX, but not make it impossible to spend a bunch in IQ, but again it depends on what the purpose of your table is.
I'm following ITL14: Roll for skills, apply the requirements for those skills, then randomly assign any spare attributes.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
larsdangly

How are you randomly rolling Hobgoblins using the rules on p. 14? They don't appear on the table of races.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Skarg

Those random tables provide nice ideas and random examples to get people started when they're having trouble thinking of a character, but they have a design constraint of short print space and simplicity of use by new players, and it seems to me that (as a result) they're very prone to making peculiar characters.

If you want more typical characters to represent people the players might tend to meet that are not weird, I think you'd want much more developed tables. I've developed some in the past, and it can take quite a bit of tweaking to get the feel I want for a each sort of NPC.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
larsdangly

I'm a little confused about how people are encountering problems with these tables; they don't even present a random attribute generation mechanic - you are still choosing the stats, just with a constraint or two that won't lead to anything too wild. I suppose if you roll 'Human Tank' and an optional 'UC II talent' you have an inconsistency and will have to choose one concept over the other, but I don't think the tables can't force you to make a character that seems to violate the way different races' attribute limits are supposed to work.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
hcobb

I've extended the tables to cover every possible PC race.

See an example here: http://www.hcobb.com/tft/rand_char.txt
Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
larsdangly

Ah, I see; I thought we were discussing ITL p. 14. Can you explain how your algorithm assigns stats, talents and gear? I notice it 'likes' to create characters with very low adjusted DX scores (in the 5-8 range). Is this by design?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Ah, I see; I thought we were discussing ITL p. 14. Can you explain how your algorithm assigns stats, talents and gear? I notice it 'likes' to create characters with very low adjusted DX scores (in the 5-8 range). Is this by design?
Not really, it just gets hammered by the IQ requirements for skills.

My adjustments from ITL14:

I consider gear by race, class and type. Dwarves wear too much armor for their DX, but I consider that a racial quirk.

On a roll of 1 on one die choose a random playable race other than the ITL14 table. Don't expect Proots or Giants to survive the skill requirements ahead.

Halflings and Half-breeds are randomly assigned a native tongue.

I randomly select from optional talents for each hero type.

I randomly assign each fighter a major melee weapon skill.

I replaced the three wizard types from ITL14 with a random roll against the job table on ITL59 and assigned attributes, talents and spells to qualify for the selected job.

Then add in all bonus talents (Halfling Thrown Weapons) and bonus spells (1-hex fire if you know a bigger fire spell).

Bump up attributes to the levels required for the character's talents and spells.

If the sum of the attributes exceeds the limit then abort and roll the next character.

If there are attribute points left over then randomly apply these.

If the character has too many skill points then abort.

Otherwise roll random talents (and for wizards spells) that they are qualified for.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
larsdangly

Well, however it all works, I think your algorithm is gravitating toward character designs that won't arise very often when a human is at the wheel. Chances of success drop off so precipitously below adjDX 8 that I don't think I've seen someone intentionally create a character that low.