Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #31
MysticHeru

Default Re: GURPS: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I just found this post, I really like it and what you are doing to the greater Warhammer Fantasy universe. Keep it up.

I have to disagree, partially, with the above poster. While rules are needed, so is background. Without that some of the rules don't make sense.
MysticHeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #32
Xuub

GRIMNIR GOD OF COURAGE AND GREAT DEEDS

Description:
According to the legends, Grimnir the Fearless protected the Dwarf people on their ancient migration to the Worlds Edge Mountains. He fought Ice Giants, huge Trolls, Dragons and bands of marauding Goblinoids without ever flinching or stepping back once. It was due to this legendary Dwarf and the courage he inspired in those who travelled with him that so many Dwarfs made it to the safety of the Worlds Edge Mountains and did not give up on the way or were killed by the monsters and other obstacles threatening the safe fare of the Dwarfs. Grimnir represents the undaunted courage and fearlessness of the Dwarf race. Some Troll Slayers and Giant Slayers venerate the courage and cool mastery of Grimnir over the rage and uncontrolled frenzy of Bragni, and paint Grimnir's Rune on their bare flesh with their blood to fill them with courage before a mighty deed. Dwarf guards in the dark beneath the World wear headbands with his Rune inscribed upon it and some have it cleverly put amongst the other ornament of their panoply. It is said that the chanting of his name will give a Dwarf who doubts himself the resolution and courage needed for the job before him.

Grimnir is portrayed as a young muscular and yet agile male Dwarf who wears a suit of armour forged from Gromril and Dragon scales and very the hides of the beasts he has slain as protection against the cold. He usually is shown as a cheerfully smiling or yelling individual with a large and

Well-kept beard. With one hand he waves forward with his mighty Rune covered Warhammer that displays the Rune of Grimnir on the centre of the head. The other hand holds a helmet formed in the shape of a Dragon's head and inserted with the teeth of such where the jaw is on the helmet. The entire figure radiates confidence, valour and good spirit. Grimnir is usually standing on a pile of bodies and severed heads from the monsters he has slain to protect his race.

The cult of Grimnir is open to any Dwarf who is ready to laugh in the face of danger and spit into the face of Death. Even the Slayers who are normally considered outcasts are accepted into this cult. Generally speaking, the followers of Grimnir are all warriors of some sort and the bulk of his worshippers are associated with the trade of war in some way or another.

Symbol:
Grimnir's symbol is that of Courage (Grimna) and the Dwarf word for courage has been derived from Grimnir's own name. Another symbol is that of a skull crossed by a hammer. A symbol also connected to Grimnir, but usually only used by older Dwarfs, is that of a shining star. The reason for this has been lost over the millennia and it is theorised that it is the star of courage shining as an example for all to follow, or perhaps it is a beacon of light for those who dare anything to overcome the obstacles in their way.

Grimnir's Clerics wear a white or light blue robe with the symbol of Grimnir embroidered in silver thread or white thread with a black outline. Some also wear the symbol of the skull and the hammer, or that of the shining star, in a steel chain around their neck. The oldest and highest positioned Clerics usually wear symbols and chains of pure Gromril to state their social position.

Area of Worship:
Grimnir is worshipped throughout the World, where there are courageous Dwarf warriors. But he is especially venerated in the Dwarf strongholds, which are under constant siege from enemy forces.

Temples:
Every Dwarfhold where there are warriors present will have a Temple of Grimnir. Of course the largest and most impressive of the temples will be found in the strongholds of the Worlds Edge Mountains. In small Dwarf communities, such as there exists in almost every large Human city, the temple is usually situated near the oldest and the best of the Dwarf warriors. If a Cleric of Grimnir is present, he is given the honour of upholding the Temple of Grimnir. It is not unknown for the Temple to be situated in the home of a City Dwarf, where it can be assembled and made ready for use within a short period of time. The temple is built in a rectangular shape, depicting that of a Warhammer.

Friends and Enemies:
The cult of Grimnir is on friendly terms with the rest of the Dwarf pantheon. Some connection is known to exist between the cult of Grimnir and that of Bragni, for even though some competition exists between the two cults, their Clerics and followers have aided each other time and time again over the course of Dwarf history. Otherwise the cult has very little to do with the Gods of other races. It is of course violently hostile towards the enemies of the Dwarf race.

Holy Days:
A small festival is held in Grimnir's honour on the 24th day of the 3rd month, which is believed to have been the day Grimnir and his fellow Dwarfs first saw the majestic pinnacles of the Worlds Edge Mountains. On this day, all Initiates and Clerics will travel to Karaz-A-Karak to gather in the main temple of Grimnir. Here they will listen to tales and legends for the entire day, from sunset to sundown. When the sun disappears ale, wine and women are brought forth and they drink, dance, eat and enjoy the general merrymaking till the next morning.

Prerequisites:
Must be a Dwarf.
Skill: Theology

Vows:
Never break your word (-2 pts)
Never surrender to Goblins and their kin. (-2 pts)
Never surrender to anyone less worthy than yourself. (-2 pts)
Never back away from any chance to participate in heroic deeds and similar situations where you can prove your courage. Unless your actions directly endangers other Dwarfs or persons under your protection. (-2 pts)

Colleges of Magic:
Body Control, Earth, Healing, Protection and Warning, Sound.

Trials:
Trials usually include feats of great courage, hunting down a beastman that is attacking the locals or hunting down a raiding party. Also undertaking tasks which one would not normally, climbing a high mountain if one was afraid of heights and so on.
Xuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #33
Xuub

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth
I like conversions, but you're posting mostly background material not rule changes. I would reference background and stick to just posting rules.
Thanks for the feedback. My goal is really to flesh out the Warhammer World using GURPS rules. There really ARE some rules commingled into the background material and I admit that they are not easy to see.

The rules I am choosing to include are only those inextricably tied to the world. For example in each of the deities I’ve listed new Vows as well as proposed colleges of magic granted by the deity. If I merely listed vows and a list of colleges it would be a bit superfluous. By showing the background information on each deity my hope is not only to show the worth of the vow, but also to show how the story and rules work together to create a wonderful role playing setting. I hope I am not mistaken, if this board is intended only for posting new rules.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #34
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuub
Thanks for the feedback. My goal is really to flesh out the Warhammer World using GURPS rules. There really ARE some rules commingled into the background material and I admit that they are not easy to see.

The rules I am choosing to include are only those inextricably tied to the world. For example in each of the deities I’ve listed new Vows as well as proposed colleges of magic granted by the deity. If I merely listed vows and a list of colleges it would be a bit superfluous. By showing the background information on each deity my hope is not only to show the worth of the vow, but also to show how the story and rules work together to create a wonderful role playing setting. I hope I am not mistaken, if this board is intended only for posting new rules.
Not a problem really. I noticed you're being very descriptive - much more so than I would think those familiar with the material would require.

For my personal tastes it would be easier to read a quick sentence or two and the GURPS specific material. If your target audience is those that aren't familiar, you're obviously going to need more.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #35
Xuub

GRONRHUN GOD OF FIRE, STEEL, STONE AND CRAFTSMANSHIP

Description:
According to the legends, Gronrhun was the first Dwarf Smith and thereby the Ancestor of all craftsmen. He is said to have invented some of the Runic signs and especially those engraved upon weapons and armour to strengthen them. Gronrhun represents a very beloved part of Dwarf society, namely that of craftsmanship - the ability to make even a petty tool of death like a dagger appear as a work of art. Gronrhun is the Ancestor and patron of the Smiths, the Rune Smiths, the Gem and Stone Carvers and anything else traditionally connected with craftsmanship. Even ordinary Dwarf Smiths will chant his name while making a particularly beautiful piece of work. It is said to give the work before the Smith, the strength to endure the onslaught of time.
Gronrhun is portrayed as a broad muscular male Dwarf, clad in heavy leather boots and trousers and wearing only the apron of the Smith on his upper body. His huge fists are covered by heavy metal gauntlets and he holds a small hammer used for fine work in one hand and the heavy hammer of the Blacksmith in the other. Gronrhun's skin is usually sodden from the hours spend in front of the furnace, as is his wild-growing white beard. He usually stands in front of an anvil.

Symbol:
The two Dwarf words have actually been derived from Gronrhun's own name. But a small and a large hammer crossed is also used. Sometimes a black Raven is associated with Gronrhun and on old paintings of him, it can be seen to sit near the anvil following his work closely. Some have theorised that the Raven is a messenger from Mórr, overseeing the tools of death created by Gronrhun. Whatever the reason black Ravens can sometimes be found near both Clerics of Gronrhun but also near any Dwarf Smith or Craftsman. Some have even been accepted as personal pets by several such Dwarfs.
Gronrhun's Clerics wear a black robe with short sleeves, so one can see the heavy metal gauntlets they wear on their hands. Gronrhun's symbol is engraved on the left breast of their robe in pure silver and some also wears the symbol of the hammers in a heavy chain around their neck.

Area of Worship:
Gronrhun is worshipped throughout the World, were ever there is a Dwarf craftsman the worship of Gronrhun is also present.

Temples:
Every Dwarfhold in the Old World wherein a craftsman is present, there will be a Temple of Gronrhun. Of course the Dwarf strongholds have the largest and most magnificently
made Temples, but smaller ones also exist. In small communities, the Temple is usually situated near the oldest and best craftsman. It is build in the form of a forge, with the altar shaped in the form of an Anvil.

Friends and Enemies:
The cult of Gronrhun is on friendly terms with the rest of the Dwarf pantheon. Some connection is known to exist between the cult of Gronrhun and that of Mórr, but otherwise the cult has very little to do with the gods of other races. It is of course violently hostile towards the enemies of the Dwarf race.

Holy Days:
A small festival is held on the 11th day of the 11th month, which is believed to have been the day Gronrhun was born. On this day all the craftsmen will gather in the Temple of Gronrhun where they sit from sunset to sundown meditating on the art of their trade in honour of their Ancestor. When the sun disappears, ale and food will be brought forth and they will eat, drink and dance to the next morning.

Cult Prerequisites:
The cult of Gronrhun is open to any Dwarf.
Skill: Smith, Armoury, Jeweller, or one other appropriate craft skill.
Skill: Theology

Vows:

Never craft anything using less than your full range of abilities (unless the customer is someone for whom you hold a grudge). (-2 pts)
Never engage in a piece of work if your soul is not in it. (-1 pt)
Never suffer the company of persons who work solely for profit, letting their craft suffer. (-1 pt)
Never surrender to Goblins and their kin. (-2 pts)

Colleges of Magic:
Earth, Fire, Enchantment, Healing, Making and Breaking.

Trials:
A trial set by Gronrhun will often involve the crafting of some particularly difficult item, restoring and/or repairing an ancient artefact or the construction of a new temple or simply reworking an old one.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #36
Kitty_Of_Doom

Location: Klagenfurt,Austria; held captive by two well-trained tincan openers....

Wow, great Stuf Xuub!!
For a long time I own now the WarHammer campaign books but never GM'#ed since the WarhammerFantasy rules are too much tabletop for my taste.

But now with your Gurps adaption, I might give it a try.

Is there any chance to have all your stuff in one single document, since a lot of tables have been deleted in your posts?
Kitty_Of_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:07 AM   #37
Xuub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_Of_Doom
Wow, great Stuf Xuub!!
For a long time I own now the WarHammer campaign books but never GM'#ed since the WarhammerFantasy rules are too much tabletop for my taste.

But now with your Gurps adaption, I might give it a try.

Is there any chance to have all your stuff in one single document, since a lot of tables have been deleted in your posts?

Thanks Kitty,
I do have all of my adaptations in a single Word document and it's about 100 pages at a size 10 font. I'm almost at a point where I can consider it "ready" to use and then I'll be happy to send it to you. I'll keep posting things here for folks to comment on and give feedback. I was looking for racial templates when I started this thread, but it has grown since then! I'm not sure about using the standard GURPS racial templates for Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. What do you think?

Is there a way to attach documents to a post? I couldn't see one. Anyway, I don't have a website right now, so I'm not sure how to give you the document. If someone wants to host it I gladly offer it out there for community consumption. I don't claim it as my own work entirely; I've pilfered from various sources and merely tied it all up with a nice ribbon, and some good GURPS rules.

I never liked the Warhammer roleplay system, but in my opinion its one of the BEST settings for a dark and grim fantasy game.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #38
Kitty_Of_Doom

Location: Klagenfurt,Austria; held captive by two well-trained tincan openers....

Quote:
Thanks Kitty,
Is there a way to attach documents to a post? I couldn't see one. Anyway, I don't have a website right now, so I'm not sure how to give you the document.
Take a look at your "Private Messages" in the forum. I'll post the email address there.

Quote:
I never liked the Warhammer roleplay system, but in my opinion its one of the BEST settings for a dark and grim fantasy game.
DITTO THAT!!! :)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #39
Xuub

I'm not sure about these. How do they look so far?

Warhammer Racial Templates

Old Worlder (0 points)
Humans or ‘men’ are the most populous race of the Old World. For this reason they are often referred to simply as ‘Old Worlders’. Similar in appearance to Earth’s humans, Old Worlders are more rugged, living as they do in a more vigorous and demanding world.

Wood Elves (50 points)
Wood Elves have tall slender bodies that belie great physical power and agility. They are proud and noble in their bearing, possessing a gracefulness that makes even the most accomplished human dancers look clodhopping and clumsy. Their fine aristocratic features radiate a disturbing otherworldly beauty with tapered, lobeless ears and penetrating eyes as pale as a winter sky. Wood Elves tend to be paler of skin than the High Elves of Ulthuan, possibly because the dense forest in which they live permits very little sunlight to penetrate its leafy canopy. Wood Elves rarely make an appearance within human society and always attract attention when they do. They find most Old Worlders brutish and repugnant, however they reserve their contempt for Dwarfs, who they consider vulgar and destructive.

Perhaps because of their magical legacy, Wood Elves do not suffer the ravages of time as do other races. Upon reaching adulthood their bodies apparently stop ageing. Their immune systems are equally impressive, making them resistant against sickness and disease. The longevity of the race is offset by a low birth rate which has declined worryingly in recent centuries.

Attributes:
IQ +1 [20]

Advantages:
Appearance: Attractive [4]; Language: Old Worlder (Reikspiel) Native/Illiterate [3]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Warp Resonance 0 [5]; Perfect Balance [15]; Resistant: All Sickness and Disease [15]; Unaging [15]

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Live with elegance and style) [-10]; Intolerance: Dwarfs [-5]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-10]; Social Stigma: Elf [-5]

Skills:
None

I'm still working on Dwarfs and Halflings
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #40
Kitty_Of_Doom

Quote:
Wood Elves (50 points)
Advantages:
Appearance: Attractive [4]; Language: Old Worlder (Reikspiel) Native/Illiterate [3]; Night Vision 3 [3]; Warp Resonance 0 [5]; Perfect Balance [15]; Resistant: All Sickness and Disease [15]; Unaging [15]

Disadvantages:
Code of Honor (Live with elegance and style) [-10]; Intolerance: Dwarfs [-5]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-10]; Social Stigma: Elf [-5]
Maybe add Eltha´rin as their native language. Also the WH corebook mentions them as "fine archers", so maybe the "racial skillbonus of +1 to Bow [2CP]" from Gurps Banestorm is ok with the template.