Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

View Poll Results: DFRPG Future, as whished for by Forumites
1) Just make more. 37 22.56%
2) .pdf with POD support 43 26.22%
2a) Seperate line. 10 6.10%
2b) Integrate into the DF line 67 40.85%
2c) Finish whats available, and end further production of new material. 1 0.61%
3) Simply end all further production, and place resources in other projects. 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
kmunoz

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

My interest in DFRPG was about two specific things:

1) I wanted a product that got out of its own way and hid all of the math that it possibly could. DFRPG was about 80% successful on this score. There is still a bit of math in character creation that could have been streamlined out, but it would have required a lot more pages and so I’m content with the compromise solution.
2) I wanted a revision of the standard magic system that fixed the problems with the spell list. DFRPG was about 80% successful on this score, too. The rat’s nest prerequisite lists for wizards and bards is still there, and still unconscionable, but at least the spells have better balance.

Honestly nothing else mattered to me. DF was doing most of the heavy lifting already - it was just saddled with too much being visible from under the hood and with a very problematic collection of spells.

I’m still not the right audience for DF or DFRPG. DFRPG toned down the snark quite a bit, but it still couldn’t quite play things straight enough to my taste.

I’m sad that DFRPG is never going to have the other character templates, or any of the other juicy parts of DF that just needed to have the hood closed to make them palatable to newbies. But I’m not surprised at its lack of success.

All of this to say that I don’t see a future for DFRPG that fits its intended goals. You can’t fold it back into DF without removing the things that make it not-DF. SJG is never going to become an adventure-making factory. And we’ve been waiting for a bestiary for over a decade. The Monsters book is a great start and I’ll use it for non-DFRPG games, but I’m also painfully aware that it’s as much an end as it is a start.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dfrpg