Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Low Tech special edition wish

Would it be possible to get a special edition of Low Tech? Leather bound and gold lettering of GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice on the cover.

Or even just the regular cover, but printed with GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice as the title? Would be an excellent conversation starter.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Low Tech special edition wish

Heh, given the dozen people (maybe two) that'd buy it, I think that's unlikely.

Now, I wonder if anyone has the skills to make a decent CCOI bookcover for it -- y'know, the wraparound kind -- once the cover is released. It'd be against online policy to make and distribute it yourself, but if it was done very well, I'd throw in for seeing the file linked in as a "Resource" somewhere. (Note: Doesn't mean it'd happen. I have less pull than you think, trust me. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Celjabba

A decent,handmade, with gold leaf work leather binding is expensive, sadly.

But i recently learned that it is the custom (perhaps even compulsory) in UK to do a hardcover binding of your thesis or phd.

So they are lots of UK shops that will take a pdf and do an hard case binding with gold lettering and ship it to you, for a "reasonable" price.
I know several peoples who have used such website, with adequate results.

It would easily be double the cost of a gurps book, so it is only for the true fan...
(shipping outside uk is very expensive. My brother-in-law got his thesis delivered to a friend in london and remailed to him for a fraction of the price asked by the website...)

(here is an example found by google. https://www.phdbookbinding.com/index.asp)
If somehow is interested, i can ask my brother in law where exactly he got his thesis bound.

Celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-06-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
Gudiomen

We have that compulsion here too, in some universities. In theory, when I graduated I should have bound my graduation research paper, and "donated" it to the library. It was even a requirement a while back. If you dig a little the places that do this aren't that hard to find. But yeah, it costs much more than a GURPS book, and since they're already hardcover in 4e, and I started gaming with B&W softcover 3e books some of which have nearly disintegrated (my 3e Basic, for instance lives in at least 2 rooms in my apartment)... for me all the 4e hardcovers seem like special editions.

"GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice" edition would be hilarious, but not many people would buy it. Can the "print-on-demand" thingy do this sort of thing relatively inexpensively? (How's that working out, btw?)
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Oh, I would be in line to get a GURPS Cabaret Chicks on Ice version of Low-Tech, even with my currently-bummed knee. As it is, I'm pretty much buying it to support my FLGS and SJGames (hard bound at FLGS, PDF from SJGames/e23). I'm sure there will be stuff in it that I will use, but I'm not likely to need it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
lexington

What about just putting it into the PDF?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
What about just putting it into the PDF?
Yeah, a gag version of the PDF would be pretty awesome. You could buy Low Tech and for say a few bucks more get access to a second version with the alternate Cabaret Chicks cover, and maybe a backstory paragraph in the Intro explaining it.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
Now, I wonder if anyone has the skills to make a decent CCOI bookcover for it -- y'know, the wraparound kind -- once the cover is released. It'd be against online policy to make and distribute it yourself, but if it was done very well, I'd throw in for seeing the file linked in as a "Resource" somewhere.
<academic> Is there really such a strong fascination with that throwaway title? It always seemed to me to just be a way for Low-Tech devotees to show their unflagging interest in the new edition.
Quote:
(Note: Doesn't mean it'd happen. I have less pull than you think, trust me. :)
Dunno... I can think pretty small :/

JK! A bit of double-edged humor ;)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabaret chicks on ice, low-tech