Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-15-2023, 05:48 AM   #1
hcobb

Default The IQ 9 Hero

Other than the obvious talents of Missile Weapons (esp. with the Light Crossbow) and Toughness (for the 9% of the time the crossbow misses), what's the value of a hero taking IQ 9?

There are several useful IQ 9 spells, but leave those to the wizards for now.

Also there's little point in spending any of your nine memory points for a talent that gives you a chance to roll 9 or less on three dice. While each of Acute Hearing, Charisma, Detect Traps, Recognize Value, and Streetwise offer advantages outside that IQ roll, these are all best unlocked by maxing out IQ. The one strange exception is to use Bard as Sex Appeal and hence roll against DX or ST instead of IQ, in addition to the reaction bonus of Bard.

Burglar, Human, age 20
ST 9, DX 14, IQ 9, MA 10
Talents: Climbing, Detect Traps, Knife, Recognize Value, Silent Movement, Streetwise, Sword
Languages: Common, Thieves’ argot

Note that both Locksmith and the Lock/Knock spell are above IQ 9 so this burglar climbs up silently and looks for upper story windows that are unlocked. He sets off lots of traps but at least Detect Traps let him nimbly avoid the poison darts and arrows of sociopathic trap makers. He depends on the automatic benefits of Recognize Value and Streetwise to perform the basics of his trade, but remains an easy mark for his fence. His favorite combat option is Disengage, which is why the town guard carries spears.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: The IQ 9 Hero

The obvious advantage of a hero taking IQ 9 is that he has more points to put into ST or DX than he would if he took a higher IQ.

Some people like more damaging weapons, while others like the benefits of a higher DX. Some like to take ST 14, DX 9, IQ 9 so they can start with Toughness stopping two hits.

Some people have a particular character type in mind and choose a low IQ because it best fits that type.

Last edited by phiwum; 02-15-2023 at 02:41 PM. Reason: (How did I write nine when I meant two?)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Other than the obvious talents of Missile Weapons (esp. with the Light Crossbow) and Toughness (for the 9% of the time the crossbow misses), what's the value of a hero taking IQ 9?
As opposed to what? IQ 8? IQ 15?

Quote:
Also there's little point in spending any of your nine memory points for a talent that gives you a chance to roll 9 or less on three dice.
That depends on how you define "little point". If noticing ambushes and slimes before it is too late is important in the adventures the character is likely to find themselves in, then having the advantage of Alertness to let you do so about once out of three times is a whole lot better than less than once in ten.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The obvious advantage of a hero taking IQ 9 is that he has more points to put into ST or DX than he would if he took a higher IQ.

Some people like more damaging weapons, while others like the benefits of a higher DX. Some like to take ST 14, DX 9, IQ 9 so they can start with Toughness stopping two hits.

Some people have a particular character type in mind and choose a low IQ because it best fits that type.
That's the appeal of TFT. You can experiment with many combinations to get the build you like for certain character types.

The build that you mentioned, ST 14, DX 9, IQ 9, worked out well in my classic TFT days and I will try it again. A beginning Tank/Barbarian type with no armor, Toughness 2, a 2-Handed Sword, and perhaps a some Missile Weapons talent for a Light Crossbow. Build up on DX and armor after that. I good starting tank build, for certain.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Absolutely.
I am running a slow witted mercenary.
ST= 12
DX= 14
IQ= 8
MA= 12

Talents = Ax, Crossbow, Pole Weapon, Shield, Swimming, Running, Additional language.
Free Mundane Background Talent - Shrimper

1 point Handicap = Odious: Talks slow, acts slow, is slow which irritates people.

He has Chainmail, Shield and main weapon is War Ax (named Vera).

----------------------

I like to play bright characters, IQ=12 or better, and wanted to give a dumb fighter a try. However, I wanted him to BE dumb, so I made sure his actions and attitude reflected this. Think Forrest Gump.

I did want him to be a little more observant, so when I put a point in IQ raising it up to 9 (when on guard duty), that was just for awareness checks. I made it a split IQ of 8/9 where his main rolls were at 8 IQ. He still used IQ 8 for Disbelief, etc.

I definitely run him as a particular character in mind.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote