Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default [MH] Witch's Broom Spell

Alright . . . the idea is to convince a broom to fly and carry you

Seems to be Path of Matter (its a broom)
Its a Control effect (movement is control) +5
Its a Greater effect (brooms flying is pretty blatant)

Suppose we want it to last 1 hr (+3)
And carry 300lbs (+3)
And move at speed 50 (+8)

So the total is 17, x3 for Greater, so 51?

Is this the correct way to make a spell? Am trying to figure it out
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Lamech

Default Re: [MH] Witch's Broom Spell

Erm... I would say no... your basically going to be using it to give you an advantage? You should pay the price of giving yourself that advantage. I would instead make it give the flight advantage with gadgetry limitations. (And pretty harsh ones at that.) Stealable, breakable, unique*. I'm guessing it comes to -80% but don't quote me. The cost of flight comes to a cost of eight, and the speed is double the riders basic speed (might want to say it has some base speed like 10)

*Yes I know you can make more, but your re-giving yourself the advantage using a special power. Normally you could remake it with a successful skill roll or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spell

And carry 300lbs (+3)
Flight advantage with gadget limits (+8+.4/extra point of move)

Changes in bold
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Alright . . . the idea is to convince a broom to fly and carry you

And carry 300lbs (+3)
And move at speed 50 (+8)

Is this the correct way to make a spell? Am trying to figure it out
"Witch's Broom", 48 energy
Greater Control Matter (5)
Move, 50 yards per second (8)
Duration, 1 hour (3)
Weight, 10 lbs (0) ... brooms don't weigh 300 lbs
> Energy Subtotal: 16

Greater Effect Multiplier, x3
> Energy Total: 48
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Erm... I would say no... your basically going to be using it to give you an advantage? You should pay the price of giving yourself that advantage. I would instead make it give the flight advantage with gadgetry limitations. (And pretty harsh ones at that.) Stealable, breakable, unique*. I'm guessing it comes to -80% but don't quote me. The cost of flight comes to a cost of eight, and the speed is double the riders basic speed (might want to say it has some base speed like 10)

*Yes I know you can make more, but your re-giving yourself the advantage using a special power. Normally you could remake it with a successful skill roll or something.
The OP was asking the Energy Cost for a MH ritual, not the CP cost for an Advantage. Sunrunner's math seems right to me.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
The OP was asking the Energy Cost for a MH ritual, not the CP cost for an Advantage. Sunrunner's math seems right to me.
Right, but normally if you give yourself an advantage with MH ritual magic, it costs energy. Pg 34 of the first book under altered traits.
I'm pretty sure this will be to fly on, hence its effectively giving the flight advantage. So I would price it as an advantage, and one targeting the heaviest rider at that.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Right, but normally if you give yourself an advantage with MH ritual magic, it costs energy. Pg 34 of the first book under altered traits.
I'm pretty sure this will be to fly on, hence its effectively giving the flight advantage. So I would price it as an advantage.
The witch isn't giving the witch the ability to fly. The witch is moving the broom with magic, which the witch is sitting on. The broom is the target, not the witch.

The book explicitly calls out the Speed modifier for movement spells. This is a movement spell. Using Altered Traits like the way you're suggesting requires never using the other modifiers because you can, theoretically, build any other modifier as an advantage.

Doesn't work that way.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Kalzazz

Would you need the 300lb modifier since well, the broom is going to be carrying the which who weighs more than 10lbs?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Would you need the 300lb modifier since well, the broom is going to be carrying the which who weighs more than 10lbs?
The witch isn't a subject. The modifier is Subject's Weight. The broom is the subject. Brooms don't weigh that much.

If the witch can sit on the broom (suspended between two chairs, for example) without breaking it, then the broom will support their weight all by itself.

I'd suggest installing a bicycle seat though, as it'll be easy to fall off the broom when it starts moving. One with a backstop of some kind.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
The witch isn't giving the witch the ability to fly. The witch is moving the broom with magic, which the witch is sitting on. The broom is the target, not the witch.

The book explicitly calls out the Speed modifier for movement spells. This is a movement spell. Using Altered Traits like the way you're suggesting requires never using the other modifiers because you can, theoretically, build any other modifier as an advantage.

Doesn't work that way.
Yeah, still no. "I'm moving the axle which just happens to have a car attached to it. Then I throw it at the vampire at 100 mph." You wouldn't allow someone to pull that off would you? Would you allow someone to make a spell to say... move bricks at high speeds as an attack? If this spell was to move a broom around that would be fine. But its not, you're clearly trying to move the thing attached to the broom around.

And of course the other modifiers are still used. Bonuses to grant a bonus (this does overlap some), damage for attack spells, afflictions to inflict those, area of effect, duration, traditional trappings and range are obvious, healing to heal damage, speed to move something from point a to point b (as opposed to "wherever I want to wherever I want").
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
PK

The intent of the modifier is that if you're going to move X lbs. of stuff around, you have to pay the subject weight for X lbs. Thus, the caster should pay for the full weight being moved (broom+passenger(s)), because that's how much weight he's actually moving. Trying to say, "But it's just the broom, and a person happens to be on it," is like trying to invoke a ritual on a 0.5-lb. tarp, placing that tarp underneath someone's car, then flinging the car through the air with ease.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magic