Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
PK

Default Re: [Action] GURPS The Laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wonder if the templates in MH4 will be easily adaptable for this purpose or not?
In theory -- Bob would arguably be a geek with the caster lens. Of course, RPM would need some tweaking to fit the "technological magic" mold, but that's independent of what templates you use.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Perssek

I'm using Monster Hunters: Champions and Action: Heroes templates mostly. I begun thinking on "begginers", but the kind of challenge seems fit for 250-point level characters if they want to merely survive the action; therefore, the Action templates, with the modified ritual path of Monster Hunters into a tech version. Some of the templates can be mixed, while some can be tweaked into the specifics of the genre and others have to be written from the core.

I'll be onto them this weekend, by there, I'll post some here so you can pick them apart; the survivors will fit the campaign.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
ClayDowling

I would count the math as a form of Magery. Having the minimal math required for a physics undegrad degree, I can attest that magery and advanced math aren't all that different. Also, thanks to the involvement of certain recreational substances, I can assure you that the many-angled ones really are living at the bottom of the Julia set.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
Woodman

Quote:
...with the modified ritual path of Monster Hunters into a tech version.
I would be especially interested in hearing more about this, how did you tie in the math and tech stuff?
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
I would count the math as a form of Magery. Having the minimal math required for a physics undegrad degree, I can attest that magery and advanced math aren't all that different. Also, thanks to the involvement of certain recreational substances, I can assure you that the many-angled ones really are living at the bottom of the Julia set.
Surely Magery would correspond to a mathematical Talent, rather than the learned skills of Mathematics, upon which the variant of Ritual Magic would be based.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
ClayDowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Surely Magery would correspond to a mathematical Talent, rather than the learned skills of Mathematics, upon which the variant of Ritual Magic would be based.
Indeed, that's how I visualize it. I would in fact use a character generation program, and where it said "Magery" on the printed sheet I would cross it out and write "Mathematics." I'm not sure what a full-blown mathematics talent would affect, because it's not a skill set that tends to come up a lot in games, so to keep it simple I'd just use the existing and entirely relevant advantage.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
vitruvian

Quote:
Indeed, that's how I visualize it. I would in fact use a character generation program, and where it said "Magery" on the printed sheet I would cross it out and write "Mathematics." I'm not sure what a full-blown mathematics talent would affect, because it's not a skill set that tends to come up a lot in games, so to keep it simple I'd just use the existing and entirely relevant advantage.
Again, no. Mathematics is a skill, Magery is an advantage that works like a Talent to boost skills. Do you mean "Mathematics Talent"?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'm not sure what a full-blown mathematics talent would affect
If Mathematical Ability isn't already a "full-blown mathematics talent" then what is it?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If Mathematical Ability isn't already a "full-blown mathematics talent" then what is it?
For the GURPS Laundry game I used to run, the magicians had Magery, which included all the effects of Mathematical Ability. That seemed to work fine. Nowadays, I would look at adapting the "official" magic system in the Laundry RPG.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
For the GURPS Laundry game I used to run, the magicians had Magery, which included all the effects of Mathematical Ability. That seemed to work fine. Nowadays, I would look at adapting the "official" magic system in the Laundry RPG.
In my current game, Desolation Road, Mathematics(Pure) is the capping skill for Rituals and Magery is capped by 2x Mathematical Ability.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brp, conversion, gurps, monster hunters, ritual path magic, the laudry