Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [MH] [RPM] Summon Inhuman

Testing the idea against my understanding. Is this a viable method of summoning an inhuman (not binding it into service, but summoning it)?

Greater Create Crossroads (6) ... for the path of movement from "there" to "here"
Greater Control Spirit (5) ... for moving the target
Range, Cross Dimensional (10)
Subject Weight, 1000 lbs (4) ... this may need to be adjusted, but works for the moment
... subtotal: 25

Greater Effects, 2 (x5)
... total: 125 energy
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: [MH] [RPM] Summon Inhuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Testing the idea against my understanding. Is this a viable method of summoning an inhuman (not binding it into service, but summoning it)?

Greater Create Crossroads (6) ... for the path of movement from "there" to "here"
Greater Control Spirit (5) ... for moving the target
Range, Cross Dimensional (10)
Subject Weight, 1000 lbs (4) ... this may need to be adjusted, but works for the moment
... subtotal: 25

Greater Effects, 2 (x5)
... total: 125 energy
Only if the Inhuman is a Spirit (e.g., Demon or Outcast Angel, in MH1). Wouldn't work to summon Vampires, Lycanthropes, Mummies, etc.

Also seems like there should be some modifier for the power level of the summoned entity, but on the other hand 125 energy is probably enough... and do you need a Sense effect in order to locate a summonable entity to establish control on?
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
Only if the Inhuman is a Spirit (e.g., Demon or Outcast Angel, in MH1). Wouldn't work to summon Vampires, Lycanthropes, Mummies, etc.
Yep. Though if it is a valid construction you can alter the parameters so that they are valid targets.

Quote:
Also seems like there should be some modifier for the power level of the summoned entity, but on the other hand 125 energy is probably enough... and do you need a Sense effect in order to locate a summonable entity to establish control on?
I'm assuming you're summoning a demon (or angel or spirit or god or whatnot) that you already have information on. I'd only require Sense if you were going after any demon that possesses <traits>, rather than a specific individual demon.

But, yes, the target's power level should matter ... but the rules don't appear to model that other than the resistance check (the demon wouldn't know you are summoning it without a different spell establishing communication first, and unaware targets always resist; more powerful demons can be assumed to have a better chance of resisting).
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Yep. Though if it is a valid construction you can alter the parameters so that they are valid targets.

I'm assuming you're summoning a demon (or angel or spirit or god or whatnot) that you already have information on. I'd only require Sense if you were going after any demon that possesses <traits>, rather than a specific individual demon.

But, yes, the target's power level should matter ... but the rules don't appear to model that other than the resistance check (the demon wouldn't know you are summoning it without a different spell establishing communication first, and unaware targets always resist; more powerful demons can be assumed to have a better chance of resisting).
Actually, it occurs that for entities that want to be summoned, you could replace the Control with a Sense effect to communicate that you want to summon the entity, and keep the Crossroads effect in order to give the entity a path to come to you. And if they're powerful enough, not just the communication alone might be enough, although that should be really rare or reserved for entities for whom it's worthwhile to respond to that kind of summons because they're eager to screw you over - e.g., the typical interplanar demon or devil that's always looking to cheat somebody out of their soul for really minor considerations.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
PK

Rules for demon summoning, specifically, will appear in MH3. (No surprise, since only the bad guys -- and idiots -- will be summoning them.) I'll wait to comment until after y'all have read those -- though I will say that vitruvian makes an excellent point.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Rules for demon summoning, specifically, will appear in MH3. (No surprise, since only the bad guys -- and idiots -- will be summoning them.) I'll wait to comment until after y'all have read those -- though I will say that vitruvian makes an excellent point.
So MH3 is coming out on the 5th, right? *grins*
Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(No surprise, since only the bad guys -- and idiots -- will be summoning them.)
Harry Dresden, idiot?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Harry Dresden, idiot?
With the exception of Toot has there ever been a time summoning something wasn't a a mistake?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
With the exception of Toot has there ever been a time summoning something wasn't a a mistake?
Mistake? Possibly. Arguably he's had little choice.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Mistake? Possibly. Arguably he's had little choice.
In the earlier books, it's shown that he'll occasionally summon a demon by the name of Chauncy for information, but he's always been meticulously careful in how he does it and so far he hasn't suffered for it.

Tags
inhumans, monster hunters, ritual path magic, summoning