Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Question about Monster Hunters

Hello,

I was reading the promo material on Monster Hunters 1.

Regarding the magic system it mentions, is it a totally new system, or is it an elaboration of one of the variations described in Thaumatology?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Question about Monster Hunters

Its a mash of various bits from Thaumatology, and some other inspirations.
see this post from PK in the main MH1 thread.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
ed_209a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
... I'd really say this is half Path/Book, a quarter Verb/Noun, and a quarter Realm, overlaid with a ton of other options stolen from Thaumatology and made up from whole cloth.
You can always count on RPK to give 110%... ;)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Figleaf23
Banned

It's as I feared then.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
tg_ambro

Oh joy. Will this be another intrepid endeavor in frugality combined with an unwillingness to pay for source material?

By the way, there really is nothing to fear, his "made up from whole cloth" stuff is really impressive and constitutes a significant portion of the magic system.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Oh joy. Will this be another intrepid endeavor in frugality combined with an unwillingness to pay for source material?
?????

Quote:
By the way, there really is nothing to fear, his "made up from whole cloth" stuff is really impressive and constitutes a significant portion of the magic system.
I'm sure it's well written and well thought out. My fear is for the coherence of GURPS as a rule set -- I'm not sure proliferating magic systems goes in the right direction.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
?????

I'm sure it's well written and well thought out. My fear is for the coherence of GURPS as a rule set -- I'm not sure proliferating magic systems goes in the right direction.
Then stick to only using powers based magic in your games. Different systems add different feels to the game.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
tg_ambro

Quote:
?????
Merely an allusion to imbuements is all. ;)

Quote:
Ah, I see your point. I don't agree, because I see it as just another tool for fine-tuning GURPS, but to each, their own.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
CousinX

Quote:
But there's not really a single "core GURPS rule set" to fear for ... GURPS is a toolbox, and MH is another "worked example" / quick-start campaign frame built from those tools, like DF and Action. The magic system in MH is an implementation of several of the tools from Thaumatology, built to provide something genre-appropriate for "Modern Heroic-Cinematic Occult" games.

I don't think it contributes to any kind of "de-coherence" of the GURPS system ... in fact, I'd say it provides a good worked example of some of the options in Thaumatology, which can themselves be a little overwhelming to newcomers.
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
vitruvian

Quote:
?????

Thaumatology already gives you the building blocks to come up with hundreds of different magic systems fitting different campaign needs. I'm sure this won't be the last worked and elaborated example that goes beyond just saying what was picked from Column A and Column B in Thaumatology to add some new stuff to make it work smoothly.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magic