Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #21
Astromancer

Default Re: Rules you'll import into your next GURPS Game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I would not mind introducing a Virtue/Humanity system, similar to the one that exists in the Old World of Darkness, though I am not sure how it would work.
I'd just import a system you like wholesale and see how it works and fails to work. Then you'll see how to adapt it.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
LukeXanten

I found this in a D&D blog of some kind, and adapted it to GURPS.

Telling Unbelievable Truths: Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. When trying to convince a subject of something that’s true but difficult to believe, the GM rolls a Quick Contest between your Fast Talk skill (or whatever skill is appropriate to the situation) versus the subject’s Detect Lies skill (or whatever skill is appropriate to the situation), modifying the subjects Detect Lies in the following manner:

1. Determine the subject’s relative skill level (IQ+2, Per+1, Body Language-4, etc.)

2. If the subject’s relative skill level is positive, change it to negative (IQ+2 becomes IQ-2. Body Language-4 stays the same).

If you win the Quick Contest, the subjects believes you, if you lose, the GM may lies about whether or not the subject believes you.

I’ve had good results with this system. Characters that are good at determining the truth believe you, characters that are easy to lie to still believe you, and characters in the middle are a coin flip. Importantly, players that are bad at lying still have a chance at convincing others to believe the truth.

Of course, you’d only use this rule if you want some roll-play with your role-play, but with a little ingenuity, you can adapt it to other things too. For instance, I’ve tweaked let players have others craft for them. Players roll an IQ based crafting skill (or combat, maybe, if they’re ordering a weapon) versus the craftsperson’s crafting skill with the craftspersons relative skill negated (negative becomes positive, in this case). In terms of roleplay, the player describes what they want; if they do a good job describing it, and the craftsperson is highly skilled, they get what they want.
LukeXanten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeXanten View Post
Telling Unbelievable Truths: Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction. When trying to convince a subject of something that’s true but difficult to believe, the GM rolls a Quick Contest between your Fast Talk skill (or whatever skill is appropriate to the situation) versus the subject’s Detect Lies skill (or whatever skill is appropriate to the situation), modifying the subjects Detect Lies in the following manner:

1. Determine the subject’s relative skill level (IQ+2, Per+1, Body Language-4, etc.)

2. If the subject’s relative skill level is positive, change it to negative (IQ+2 becomes IQ-2. Body Language-4 stays the same).

If you win the Quick Contest, the subjects believes you, if you lose, the GM may lies about whether or not the subject believes you.

I’ve had good results with this system. Characters that are good at determining the truth believe you, characters that are easy to lie to still believe you, and characters in the middle are a coin flip. Importantly, players that are bad at lying still have a chance at convincing others to believe the truth.
I think this means the hardest people to convince of a unbelievable truth are folks who are relying on high IQ to detect lies rather than skill. I might rather pivot around the number 12 or something.

Its still a good idea, it just might need some tweaking.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
Gnomasz

Or you could just reverse margin of success and failure for the listener. If they roll bad, with 4 as a margin of failure, the talker needs to succeed by 5 to convince them. If they roll well, say, 3 successes, the talker may fail by 2 and still convince them.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
LukeXanten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think this means the hardest people to convince of a unbelievable truth are folks who are relying on high IQ to detect lies rather than skill. I might rather pivot around the number 12 or something.
You know, I actually haven’t had that come up yet, any NPC my players have tried to use this on so far have either had default, or near default, IQ, or a high/low relative skill level. You’re absolutely right though, subjects relying on high natural talent will be difficult to tell the truth to.

You could come up with a way to pivot it around 12 (or maybe 10; 10 is nice because it’s right at the half way point, but it might end up a bit too easy).If their final skill level is some value X that is higher than 12, treat their new skill as 24-X. This would be equivalent to a skill of 12+N turning into 12-N. And don’t let the final skill go below 6, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Or you could just reverse margin of success and failure for the listener. If they roll bad, with 4 as a margin of failure, the talker needs to succeed by 5 to convince them. If they roll well, say, 3 successes, the talker may fail by 2 and still convince them.
That might be a more elegant solution.

Last edited by LukeXanten; 12-12-2019 at 04:41 PM.
LukeXanten is offline   Reply With Quote