Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: GURPS Russia Hedge Magic article

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Fair enough.

Another possibility would be to use Realm Magic as a basis for this: with Realm Magic, each Realm is defined by an advantage that determines what sorts of supernatural things you can do, and a skill that determines how well you do it. To make things a form of Hedge Magic, use an otherwise-mundane skill as the Realm skill; and when calculating the cost of the Realm advantage, assume that there are potentially dozens of Realms (possibly as many as one per skill) and thus use the smallest price multiplier. Without the Realm advantage, the skill in question is limited to doing what a mundane skill could do; with each level of the Realm, various supernatural uses of the skill become available. The lowest level might be defined in terms of extending the skill's use in subtle ways, such as being able to negate penalties that would otherwise degrade the skill, while the higher levels could start invoking now blatantly supernatural results.
Hmm. Interesting idea. While I currently don't plan to use that for the Yrth thread I'm working on (not ready to post yet, and I have a bunch of other projects), as that would be too close to 'Yrth as a Realm Magic setting,' it is a worthwhile variant, and maybe I should suggest it as an option. Thank you.

Checking Thaumatology pp189-190, the smallest modifier is x1/2, which is what you get for 13+ Realms and major weaknesses, but you also need to decide how many levels are available. If you allow all six levels (which is a bit much for the concept), that would be (60/6)/2, or 5 points per level. With five levels, the cost is 6/lvl, with four it's 7/lvl (technically 7.5), and with three it's 10/lvl... unless we decide that with such a large number of possible Realms, we need to houserule an even smaller multiplier, like 1/3 or 1/5.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
dataweaver

Default Re: GURPS Russia Hedge Magic article

First, I'd go with three levels for this, though I'd enrich the first level with the ability to enhance regular use of the mundane skill. Second, 10 points per level sounds about right to me; that's comparable to what you have to pay for access to Imbuements.