Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Identification rolls for mundane foes

One odd thing I noticed about DFRPG: it's not clear what skill you roll against to identify mundane foes. In some cases, this probably shouldn't be necessary—it's explicitly noted that no roll is required to know about troll weaknesses, for example—but the fluff also implies that lots of people don't know the difference between hobgoblins and orcs, and the ranks of "mundane" monsters includes horde pygmies, rock mites, and throttlers, which don't seem likely to qualify as "common knowledge". So how do you handle them?
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Harald387

Default Re: Identification rolls for mundane foes

Heraldry for humanoids and Naturalist for weird beasties (like rock mites and throttlers); Occultism for TRULY weird beasties. See 'Recognition' on DFRPG Monsters p.4 for further details.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Black Leviathan

I'm not a big fan of the assumption that all people know about Trolls. The character I'm playing now comes from a vastly different part of the world and it makes sense that I wouldn't need to roll to know facts about Ogres or or their culture because it's my culture, but if I've encountered a troll it was a radically different breed than the ones inhabiting the lands I'm in now. Likewise if we travel to the Ogre Islands I wouldn't expect them to know much about fighting Kenku. I get that Dungeon Fantasy is mean't to follow that tropey D&D world but the GM should still have some latitude to apply common sense.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I get that Dungeon Fantasy is mean't to follow that tropey D&D world but the GM should still have some latitude to apply common sense.
I don't see why the GM wouldn't have such latitude. Rule Zero exists for a reason.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Heraldry for humanoids and Naturalist for weird beasties (like rock mites and throttlers); Occultism for TRULY weird beasties. See 'Recognition' on DFRPG Monsters p.4 for further details.
That section says you can use Heraldry to recognize "organized, basically mundane foes... by their mark". But what if a goblin-kin legion has all kinds of goblin-kin marching under the same banner? I can definitely see Occultism for certain "mundane" threats, like werewolves, since it's explicitly a catch-all for things not covered by other skills, but Naturalist for rock mites and throttlers seems wrong. I might use Hidden Lore (Elementals) at -5 for rock mites, by analogy to the rules for identifying corpse golems. Hidden Lore (Spirits) might make sense for throttlers.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Naturalist for rock mites and throttlers seems wrong.
Naturalist is not "things that are mundane in our world", it's "things that are mundane in the campaign world".
Old 07-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Naturalist is not "things that are mundane in our world", it's "things that are mundane in the campaign world".
Except it's not. Canonically it's for "giant, dire, and hybrid animals... and for monstrous plants, fungi, and slimes". DFRPG seems pretty firm that dire animals are considered unnatural even in-setting. On the other hand, the only sapient beings Naturalist can canonically identify are sapient plants. It seems to primarily be the skill of identifying non-sapient living things.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
tbone

Quote:
I can definitely see Occultism for certain "mundane" threats, like werewolves, since it's explicitly a catch-all for things not covered by other skills, but Naturalist for rock mites and throttlers seems wrong.
I, too, think there's an odd gap, where technically mundane - but bizarre and not commonplace - monsters are concerned. Rock mites, slimes, gargoyles, throttlers, bizarre underground races and beasties. Tossing these under Naturalist means that the delver who goes toe-to-toe against these rare horrors has no more knowledge of them than the above-ground, village naturalist who would never go near such a dungeon.

I really like the idea of a skill Unnaturalist, like Naturalist but dealing with the weird stuff, and serving to catch all the creatures that don't easily fall under an existing identification skill. (The drawback that I don't like: There are already more than enough skills in the game. : / )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 AM   #9
Not

Quote:
One odd thing I noticed about DFRPG: it's not clear what skill you roll against to identify mundane foes. In some cases, this probably shouldn't be necessary—it's explicitly noted that no roll is required to know about troll weaknesses, for example—but the fluff also implies that lots of people don't know the difference between hobgoblins and orcs, and the ranks of "mundane" monsters includes horde pygmies, rock mites, and throttlers, which don't seem likely to qualify as "common knowledge". So how do you handle them?
Isn't this what IQ rolls are for? Alternatively, create an Area Knowledge or Survival specialty for dungeons.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'm not a big fan of the assumption that all people know about Trolls. The character I'm playing now comes from a vastly different part of the world and it makes sense that I wouldn't need to roll to know facts about Ogres or or their culture because it's my culture, but if I've encountered a troll it was a radically different breed than the ones inhabiting the lands I'm in now.
I believe your character has a Social Stigma (Ignorant? Uneducated? I forget which one) - although it might be rolled up into a bigger social stigma of just being Foreign as Heck (Outsider, etc). You lack the local Cultural Familiarity, and you lack "common knowledge" about things that differ between the two parts of the world; people will notice.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote