Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
derekleeketchum

Default Rangers vs. the Hand of Fate

I tried searching the forums for an answer to this hypothetical situation I thought of recently but found nothing, so I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere.

If a Ranger uses their "Monster Tamer" ability to tame The Hand of Fate, is The Hand of Fate considered defeated and therefore grants the Ranger that tames it an extra hand?
derekleeketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Herpopotamus

Default Re: Rangers vs. the Hand of Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekleeketchum View Post
I tried searching the forums for an answer to this hypothetical situation I thought of recently but found nothing, so I apologize if this has already been answered elsewhere.

If a Ranger uses their "Monster Tamer" ability to tame The Hand of Fate, is The Hand of Fate considered defeated and therefore grants the Ranger that tames it an extra hand?
The only way that a monster can be defeated is if your combat strength (the sum of your level and bonuses from items as well as any enhancers/one-shot items/etc) is greater than that of the monster(s), and you successfully win a combat against that monster as a result of this comparison. Any other way that a combat terminates is not considered defeating the monster unless the card text specifically says otherwise.

I don't have the ranger class or the monster card in front of me, so I can't comment directly on the circumstances that you described. I hope that this helps in spite of that fact.
Herpopotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpopotamus View Post
The only way that a monster can be defeated is if your combat strength (the sum of your level and bonuses from items as well as any enhancers/one-shot items/etc) is greater than that of the monster(s), and you successfully win a combat against that monster as a result of this comparison. Any other way that a combat terminates is not considered defeating the monster unless the card text specifically says otherwise.

I don't have the ranger class or the monster card in front of me, so I can't comment directly on the circumstances that you described. I hope that this helps in spite of that fact.
This is incorrect. You are thinking of killing a monster. Defeating a monster is a term used for a variety of ways to get rid of a monster so you do not have to run away, but the monster is not killed. A wizard's charm ability is an example of defeating a monster.

This has no bearing on the OP's question. I just wanted to clarify your statement.

From the FAQ
Quote:
Important Note #3: "Defeated" versus "Killed" versus "Lost"
For the purposes of the game, "defeating" a monster involves beating it in combat or removing it from play in such a way that you do not have to Run Away. This means that if a Wizard casts a charm spell, or a munchkin uses a Pollymorph Potion, or something else happens that ends a fight without the munchkins Running Away, the monster is defeated. This may or may not grant Treasures, depending on the method of defeat.
"Killed" means that you defeated the monster with your Level and bonuses in combat, or used some card or special ability that specifically states that it kills the monster. For this, you get levels and Treasure. Some Monsters say that they can be defeated immediately, based on circumstances. Unless the card says otherwise, this usually means an instant kill of the Monster, so you would get levels and Treasure in those situations, too.
However, even in a case where a single monster is instantly defeated, other players get a chance to play Wandering Monster to add a new foe that you must defeat before claiming the spoils.
"Lost" means that you are just not buff enough and you gotta Run Away like a little chicken.

Last edited by DoomedDuck; 01-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Clipper

Under those definitions, Monster Taming would not be considered defeat. The monster is not being discarded from the combat and is actually still around, as your Steed.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Under those definitions, Monster Taming would not be considered defeat. The monster is not being discarded from the combat and is actually still around, as your Steed.
That is correct. You've tamed the Monster and received the benefit of it being your Steed, so you don't get any of the benefits you would have gotten had you killed it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
derekleeketchum

That's what I was afraid of, oh well. Thank you MunchkinMan and everyone else who replied.
derekleeketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:23 AM   #7
Ujeen

How do you rule a similar situation with a wizard charm? If he charmed the Hand of fate, does he get an extra hand?

Last edited by Ujeen; 07-20-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Ujeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujeen View Post
How do you rule a similar situation with a wizard charm? If he charmed the Hand of fate, does he get an extra hand?
No, he doesn’t.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Ujeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
No, he doesn’t.
Is it because Wizard charm is not considered as Defeat?
I use French edition. And the text on the card says that “you get an extra arm if you defeat the Hand of Fate”. Wizard’s charm is defeat according to the FAQ”.
Do I have incorrect translation of the card?

Last edited by Ujeen; 07-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Ujeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

On that specific card, the intent is that you have to kill the monster. I understand the wording isn't as clear as it should be.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote