Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #21
isf

Default Re: ST Andromeda (Post Apocalyptic Star Trek)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Ah, Discovery. I only saw the first episode but if you're taking stuff from dsicovery you're in a highly alternate timeline from TOS. I suppose it could turn into the AbramsTrek movies eventually.

I'm only loosely following canon: it might even be fairer to say inspired by like Dover's Psi Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Speaking of TOS it did have the most prominant non-human aliens of the franchise, the Hortas. You might have to reduce their tunnelling ability. Maybe eating pure hull metal gives them the tummy-ache.

Yes, but I don't see how the Hortas would be meaningful characters; particularly on a starship. I do plan on having a lot of non-human and non-humanoid races available.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #22
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
Yes, but I don't see how the Hortas would be meaningful characters; particularly on a starship. I do plan on having a lot of non-human and non-humanoid races available.
Check out "Ensign Rock" (I forget his real name) from Diane Duane's novel "My Enemy, My Ally" and its sequel. (Books 1 and 2 of the Rihannsu series, IIRC). A Horta in Starfleet....

Anyway, it looks like Section 31 has technology from ahead of its time. In DS9, they had transporters that didn't leave residual traces like standard transporters; in Discovery, they had TNG-era comm-badges, which were called out as, "What kind of communicator is that?" Quite probably, they're from farther ahead in the timeline (31st Century, maybe?).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 11-02-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
I am leaning towards some kind of general war that saw the deployment of weapons that destabilized interactions with subspace and made warp travel hard or impossible for some time. Throw in a little backlash for psionically active people for added crazy.
That would actually fit both source materials quite well. Though Star Trek dropped the concept of damaging subspace through warp travel except for a few later references.
Nice.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #24
isf

I have been looking at various attempts to map the ST galaxy and find that no map is accurate to canon due to canon inconsistency. I'm going to use the following {based on Federal Space and the Memory Alpha wiki}
Alpha Quadrant (2 major powers)
UFP: the federation, wealthy with a high social support and low social stratification. The Federation rewards Compassion, Duty, and Tradition
The Orion Alliance: Less safety net and more stratification, more risk and opportunity. The Orions reward Ambition, Creativity, and Energy

Tholian Assembly: Xenophobic and Isolationist
Gorn Hegemony: An alliance of reptilian races.

Beta Quadrant (2 major powers)
Klingon Empire: Players of the Great Game, Ruled by an emporer and a council of great houses, The Empire rewards Bravery, Loyalty, and Strength.
Romulan Republic: Ruled by a Senate with an elective? class of patricians. Multi-species republic with client races. The Republic rewards Duty, Gravitas, and ?

Gamma Quadrant (1 major power)
The Dominion: ruled by the Vorta in the name of the Founders. The founders may be a myth.

Delta Quadrant (unkown)
Unknown

Tags
andromeda, star trek