Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #901
PK

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Ah, I don't do Twitter (or Facebook etc.) It seems odd for a company to initially announce something major like the report on someone else's platform rather than here in their own forums or daily illuminator.
That's not odd; that's precisely why social media platforms exist.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #902
Buzzardo

Thanks for the transparency. It takes courage to admit that things didn't go as you would have wished, and I appreciate it.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #903
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I hope that SJGames takes the Kickstarter approach to all new hardbacks. Why? Because that defers the risks and gives you publicity. You can't really beat that combination. While I'm disappointed, I don't think SJGames is going to kill an RPG they've kept in print for the better part of 3 decades.
I'll second that, personally if I see an interesting Kickstarter I tend to hop on, but those hardbacks didn't even hit my radar and I used to buy most things GURPS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Also, I think the DFRPG is going to do VERY well. It hits all the right buttons, is GURPS-y enough, but not so much that it scares folks off.
That's why I backed the Kickstarter for it, hoping for a resurgence there, even if it's not as popular as something like Gloomhaven, even a touch of that has to help.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:21 AM   #904
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I didn't say don't us social media. I'm just surprised it's the only place the report has been announced. Why not announce it on your own site as well, like this thread?
http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/A...s_Report_Is_Up

There's an order in which things happen. By staggering announcement through different channels we can measure the effectiveness of each.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 AM   #905
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I'll second that, personally if I see an interesting Kickstarter I tend to hop on, but those hardbacks didn't even hit my radar and I used to buy most things GURPS...
That's clearly a failure on our part. We _thought_ we had spread word of the two books -- including during the Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter project -- but something must have gone wrong.

Where do you most often learn of new games and expansions?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #906
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Hopefully next year will see some consolidation, actually finishing the large projects and starting less new ones.
That is very much the plan. We do have some bigger projects we want to move on, but right now we have to clear our plates before the next course can be served.

Quote:
How much longer I continue to read the Illuminator is unclear since it's almost wall to wall Munchkin these days.
In February and March we had a Kickstarter to talk about, and a successful Kickstarter requires active engagement. Hopefully, we can have a better mix of news in the coming months (although Munchkin is still the majority of what we do, so it's going to be a frequent topic on the DI regardless).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #907
rknop

Two thoughts on GURPS:

First, it's possible that the Dungeon Fantasy release will kindle some interest. It won't be able to catch, though, if people aren't able to find Characters and Campaigns at the same place as they found Dungeon Fantasy. If Dungeon Fantasy boxed sets are shipping to game stores or other retailers, any hopes of it carrying over to further life in GURPS in print would need to have a reprint of the two core books ready to go at the same time -- and that's not likely.

Second thought: I'm happy with GURPS PDF support. If that's all GURPS is able to do in the future, to me, that's not so bad. My hope is that SJ Games continues to do GURPS support. My fear is that at some point they're going to decide that the tiny return on small-volume PDF games, even if it is a positive return, just isn't worth the attention when compared to high-volume items like Munchkin.

(I've had fun playing Munckin in the past, but it's not really something I personally find as something I'd want to invest in or collect or spend a lot of time with, whereas GURPS could be. It's more of an occasional pastime. Indeed, I have been quite surprised by the continuing market power and lasting appeal of Munckin in the market. To me, it's a fun occasional diversion to play on a game night when nobody's ready to run an RPG, along with Chez Geek and Strange Synergy. But, then, I know that what appeals to the masses and what appeals to me frequently don't line up.)
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 AM   #908
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
. . . a reprint of the two core books ready to go at the same time -- and that's not likely.
A reprint is unnecessary. We have thousands of copies of both books in our primary warehouse. There are no supply issues when it comes to the two Basic Set hardcovers.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #909
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I'm less concerned about the top 40 that I am with
  • Discworld and Mars Attacks having sales characterized as "disappointing",
As of this posting, they aren't showing up as being available in the only nationwide bookstore chain (online and brick-and-mortar) in Canada.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...keywords=GURPS

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...playing%20Game

This might be an availability issue.

I'll look at the specialty stores in Ottawa again over the weekend, and see whether any of them have managed to get the books in stock yet.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 04-11-2017 at 07:24 AM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #910
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
As of this posting, they aren't showing up as being available in the only nationwide bookstore chain (online and brick-and-mortar) in Canada.
This is outside of our control. We offer titles for sale. Each retailer decides what they wish to carry.

Quote:
Getting stock in the UK has been a problem too.
We make the games available. Individual retailers and distributors decide what to order. This is why preorders before launch are so important to the success of a new game title.