Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #21
Nymdok

Default Re: Meteoric items and DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
I don't know if any but the heaviest armour would work against the heroic archer DF character I made up a few weeks ago... with weapon master, strongbow, and an elvish longbow he wound up doing 3d imp with his bow by using the adjusted dice rule.
Well although not a popular defense, one of the major leveling factors of the POinty Hat and dress in gurps is that it REALLY helps your dodge. 3d imp only matters if you get a crit or I fail my defense. That combined with the other mage defenses (haste, blurr, my favorite against Missle weapons is simply darkness) keeps a pretty level field.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazander
For a Meteoric Iron arrow to blast through the wizard's defenses, the entire arrow (even shaft and fletching) must be made from Meteoric Iron. Otherwise a Deflect Missile spell will affect even the smallest part of the missile that it is able to, and still deflect it.
Thinking about it, that makes sense. Otherwise, why would anybody ever make anything but the little tippy bit of any weapon from meteoric iron? No, the whole weapon has to be done, or magic can get a grip. The magic immunity is not conferred by contagion.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
b-dog

I am assuming that Toughen, Shatterproof and Fortify do not have the magical DR and strength affected by meteoric weapons. Is this correct? If it is then it would stand to reason that walls or doors ensorcelled with magic will also have their magical strength unaffected by meteoric weapons. Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #24
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok
Well although not a popular defense, one of the major leveling factors of the POinty Hat and dress in gurps is that it REALLY helps your dodge. 3d imp only matters if you get a crit or I fail my defense. That combined with the other mage defenses (haste, blurr, my favorite against Missle weapons is simply darkness) keeps a pretty level field.
Actually I just checked... it was only 2d+2... 3d was a considerably more powerful guy. I'm assuming the mage can see through the darkness?

In a perfect world the mage would never get a chance to defend because they're distracted or don't know the arrow is coming. Otherwise once the arrow is so easily avoided the archer should seek different targets... that's really one of the bonuses of ranged combat. In addition to avoiding pointy things jabbed at you, you can change targets each turn even if they're 30 hexes apart.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
b-dog

Quote:
Actually I just checked... it was only 2d+2... 3d was a considerably more powerful guy. I'm assuming the mage can see through the darkness?

In a perfect world the mage would never get a chance to defend because they're distracted or don't know the arrow is coming. Otherwise once the arrow is so easily avoided the archer should seek different targets... that's really one of the bonuses of ranged combat. In addition to avoiding pointy things jabbed at you, you can change targets each turn even if they're 30 hexes apart.
Mages usually have robes that deflect missiles and Fortified with dweomer to increase DR.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #26
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Thinking about it, that makes sense. Otherwise, why would anybody ever make anything but the little tippy bit of any weapon from meteoric iron? No, the whole weapon has to be done, or magic can get a grip. The magic immunity is not conferred by contagion.
Hmmm... that might be a good alchemist concoction. Meteoric Iron Solution. Just dip the arrow in it, let it dry and for one shot you have effectively a meteoric iron arrow...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #27
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog
Mages usually have robes that deflect missiles and Fortified with dweomer to increase DR.
Their faces are covered too? Weird.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #28
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Uh-oh... that looks like it might be a bad precedent. To me, it makes sense that only the "business end" of the weapon need be made of the special material.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery

Uh-oh... that looks like it might be a bad precedent. To me, it makes sense that only the "business end" of the weapon need be made of the special material.
The opposite, I think. Otherwise it's hard to justify why a 2-ounce meteoric iron badge welded to your breastplate wouldn't make the whole breastplate immune. Nobody said meteoric iron arrows need to be a good option. My intent when introducing the modifier was mostly to handle all-metal items.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #30
Nymdok

Quote:
Actually ... I'm assuming the mage can see through the darkness?....
People in the radius can see out.
No one in the radius can see anything in the radius of the darkness (Unless he has DarkVision).
No one can see in (unless they have DarkVision).

I cast a 2 hex radius once in desperation against missle fire. Worked like a champ and essentially gave me a freebie shot at anyone who got close to the boundary (they couldn't see it comming).

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote