Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
The Big Boo

Default Duck of... What is Gloom anyway?

If like me your planning on getting a Duck of Gloom just bacause it comes with Munchkin cards with fantasy backs you may also be asking yourself what the £#@% is Gloom anyway?

Well this weeks TableTop will tell you all about it.

Enjoy the very interesting narrative.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
stienf9

Default Re: Duck of... What is Gloom anyway?

Personally I prefer Cthulhu Gloom, but it needs more support like regular Gloom has, more families and more expansions haha.
stienf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
njals

*grumbles* Why oh why could I not of seen this yesterday when I was placing an order?
njals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
bonetm

There's much more to Gloom than was shown on Tabletop. Most of the special effects of the cards weren't even mentioned.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #5
StormCrow42

Yes, I was a little disappointed that they didn't show any of the card special effects taking place, although the storytelling was quite amusing. I'm guessing they decided in editing that that was the funnier thing to show.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Solelron
Banned

and as far as Cthuhlu gloom goes, I don't like that the RIP cards have logos on them
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Hajeil Sounak

There were illegal plays made on this episode too. The very opening play is illegal. Was Widowed at the Wedding explicitly says that it can only be placed on a character with the arrowed heart icon on it. Since it was the very first card played during the game Cousin Mordecai did not have the arrowed heart symbol on him. Bad form, Wil. Bad form.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Gospel X

Wil has explicitly stated, on G+ at any rate, that they try not to get too caught up in the rules when playing the games because that could bog down the episodes. He's trying to show people having a good time with the games in the span of 30 minutes. I think that capturing the spirit of the game is much more important than capturing every boring detail. Some people here complained about the Munchkin episode of the show, but I would then have to say that those people were completely missing the point.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Solelron
Banned

Gospel has it dead on. Tons of bad rules, but it shows how the game can be enjoyable. Especially a game like Gloom. The Story is the key to enjoying it :)
Solelron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
bonetm

The problem is: with Munchkin they explained all the basic mechanics. Although certain rules seemed to be ignored for the sake of the show, all the core elements of the game were present.

The same is not true in Gloom: there was none of the special effects card. They didn't explain that you can only play a card to kill someone in your first action. These are basic rules, they should have been explained.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck, gloom