Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #21
Maz

Default Re: Magical DR stacking?

Since the DR disappear once the magical armour breaks is penetrated "5xnatural DR" and since normal clothing has 0 DR, then it wouldn't be too far fetch to say that cloth enchanted in this fashion would break if ANY damage penetrates.

This would make it very unattractive to enchant anything without DR. And since we all know that anything WITH DR gets DX penalty... the problem is solved.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #22
MacGregor

One of the questions seems to be whether or not the Fortify spell is the enchantment version of the Armor spell. Are they two different spells, or are they the same spell listed in two different places. There are arguments for both versions and it really comes down to what the GM wants for their game and gameworld. Just remember, what works for the players also works for the villains!
MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
cosmicfish

I've wondered about these same issues at times. As an engineer, I instinctively gravitate to those areas that allow me to design things (like vehicles, magic artifacts, etc).

I agree that one Fortify per "object" and one Armor per person would all stack, with appropriate penalties for encumberance and dexterity. I also agree that enchanting 0DR items is possible, easily stackable, and inevitably expensive. I don't think any of this violates RAW or play balance - a good GM should have no problem finding ways to off heavily-armored characters.

One idea I had a while ago was based on old laminated-cloth armor designs - individually enchanted pieces of cloth, laminated together (as many as 15 or 20!) and then used to line a piece of conventional rigid armor. The outer armor would handle most routine damage, with the multi-layer interior providing emergency protection when the armor was penetrated. As this was both expensive and fragile, I considered it the type of thing used by those for whom money is no object and success is imperative - royalty and big-time dragon-slaying heroes, for example.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #24
Henchman99942

There are a number of similar threads on this and related topics. I do not want to start yet an additional thread. But neither do I want to open old wounds.

One thing that I do not think was covered was the problem of having magic armor. I am playing a fantasy campaign right now and there is some underground type sneaking and combat going on. It seems to me, that folks might NOT want to stick out like a glow stick with magicked armor. One of them there mage sight type spells can see magickal stuff. It may be in the best interests of the denizens of the deep to blend into the shadows and not wear neon "shoot me" signs.

Just my two bits.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
No you don't. That rule is for armor, not for clothing. If I wear an undershirt, a button-up shirt, a light vest, and a jacket, I'm not at -3 to DX. Just like you're not at -1 DX for wearing underwear under your pants.
Otherwise the Swashbuckler would run around naked. Which would be hilarious.

Tags
armor layering, damage resistance, deflect, stacking