Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #921
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
That was a £30 save, I owe you a lot of pints :)
Drink them for me, please. Bass or Guinness, either works. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I've posted both of them on Bob Schroeck's Access Denied page to demonstrate, a while ago. I'm not even sure where I put them, but I think they're in the HandofBobb thread for Fenspace.
Not the Hand of Bobb's Stuff thread. (That's where you posted the "Lace's Zettai Ryouiki" images, which is what you're probably remembering.) Possibly one of the modeling threads in General Chatter...?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 01-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #922
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Drink them for me, please. Bass or Guinness, either works. 8)
Will do :) Still, if you happen to come to TR or UK, let me know :)

Loving the LuxRender. After frustrating myself with something I'm pretty sure very much platform dependent (and hoping that the DAZ tech guys can find a fix for) I am just enjoying the beauty of it. Did a vanilla ernder and now rendering it with Lux - the difference is unbelievably huge.

Cheers...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #923
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
I know I'm derailing this thread but yeah, the engine is amazing. Can't wait to start playing with it...
I don't think this is derailing the thread. If you're going to be using this information for gaming then, at it's core, that's what this thread is for. And, I'd been posting pictures, while I was responding, so, at least, new pictures were added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Oy, that's a good one, very nicely done.

(I'm assuming you were aiming for a Slavic moll.)
Actually, they just wanted someone a bit "stockier" than I usually do. So, it wasn't hard to just make someone and they loved her.

Quote:
Loving the LuxRender. After frustrating myself with something I'm pretty sure very much platform dependent (and hoping that the DAZ tech guys can find a fix for) I am just enjoying the beauty of it. Did a vanilla ernder and now rendering it with Lux - the difference is unbelievably huge.
Oh, yes. It's a night-and-day difference. Sure, it takes a lot longer, but, in my opinion, it's totally worth it.

But, don't count on Daz fixing it. Put your faith in Prêt-à-3D to fix it. They're pretty good about it. And, Bruno hangs out there and knows a lot about Reality, Lux and Daz, so she can help get answers.

We love you, Bruno.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #924
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
<snip> your faith in Prêt-à-3D to fix it. They're pretty good about it. And, Bruno hangs out there and knows a lot about Reality, Lux and Daz, so she can help get answers.

We love you, Bruno.
Ah, we do.

Although, it is my bad, the only thing that's not working is not Prêt-à-3D related - it is their (Daz's) new and improved content management mess. My platform and their service are not playing nice. IF they had (and still they may, I might be missing it) good documentation of the service (what protocols does it use, what are its unlisted dependencies etc) I probably would have sorted it out before deciding to try a reinstall (of Windows which I did about 10 hours ago).

Anyways, here's the standard Fiery Genesis scene with a couple more geometries thrown in to see how they look in render: 3Delight Default High Quality Preset and Lux at a low 814 s/p, just to strengthen Mark's and Bruno's point :)

Cheers...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #925
mlangsdorf

Those pictures show the difference much better than Mark's earlier pics. I've looked at Mark's pics repeatedly and I can't detect any differences at all. Whereas Mehmet's pics have very stark differences in color, contrast, shadowing... the more heavily sampled picture just looks better.

Mark, are you sure you linked to two different image files?
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #926
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Mark, are you sure you linked to two different image files?
I did not, because one of the pics is inappropriate to be posted here. But, I gave it's name at photobucket, so one could look it up by pulling up the 2nd picture, which I did link to, then changing the file name in the URL to see the 1st one.

If you check this post, I gave the names there, but only one link.

ETA:
However, here's a good example:
This is rendered with the 3Delight Renderman engine from Daz3D, in about 10 seconds.
This is 4 hours rendering with Reality/Lux.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 01-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #927
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

My sister asked me to do a picture for her, so I did this fantasy trio for her.

The guy turned out way more dork-tastic than I was expecting. I'm awaiting feedback from her on how she wants to fix him, but I'm thinking a new hairdo would help.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #928
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:

The guy turned out way more dork-tastic than I was expecting. I'm awaiting feedback from her on how she wants to fix him, but I'm thinking a new hairdo would help.
Definitivelly a new hairdo for the the guy, and IMHO some more subtle makeup for the girl in yellow. Also, maybe changing the facial expression of the guy would work too. Right now he looks stoned or dumb, something that doesn't mesh with the agresive stance he has.

BTW, I love how the dresses end up looking. The shadows on the yellow dress look wonderful, with the texture, and the green velvet looks extremely cool. The dress looks utterly impractical though (why leave the sides open? She's asking for a spear in there, and it's probably both too hot and too cold).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #929
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Definitivelly a new hairdo for the the guy, and IMHO some more subtle makeup for the girl in yellow. Also, maybe changing the facial expression of the guy would work too. Right now he looks stoned or dumb, something that doesn't mesh with the agresive stance he has.
Yeah, she'll probably lose the makeup completely, when I re-do the image. And, I have another set of hair I'll probably use for Dude-the-werewolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
BTW, I love how the dresses end up looking. The shadows on the yellow dress look wonderful, with the texture, and the green velvet looks extremely cool. The dress looks utterly impractical though (why leave the sides open? She's asking for a spear in there, and it's probably both too hot and too cold).
I think that elegant dress came out very nice as well. And as for the other girl's outfit . . . yeah, kinda silly. So, I'm looking for another set of leather-esque armor for her right now.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #930
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:

I don't know, I sort of like that dorktastic look, he's the only one of the three who doesn't look like he's wearing a wig. (I think you need to push the hair on the girl in green a mm or two down a bit to fit on her head better.)
Has a bit of Crispin Glover look to it, McFly to Thin Man to Willard type of thing, though I have to say, the no nipples coupled with the no body hair thing is a bit weird...

His right hip-groin-thigh area also looks like there's a chunk missing, might just be a weird perspective thing, like the arm of the hairless girl in yellow.

If you do change his hair, I'd say push it to a Willard-do, but I think it works as is for full dorktastic glory.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art