Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
GreatWyrmGold

Default Building Shields As Advantages

For reasons relating to a project I'm doing on this forum, I've come across a need to build shields as advantages. This is tricky.

There are three components to a shield:
1. Shield bashing. This is a Striker, easy.
2. Defense Bonus. I guess I could just give out all the Enhanced Defenses for 30 points, but that doesn't feel quite right for some reason.
3. Blocking. I have no clue where to start. Maybe just say "this blocks instead of parrying," but I'm not sure what the implications of that would be.

Does anyone have advice for my current dilemma?
GreatWyrmGold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Building Shields As Advantages

For Blocking, I just tend to go with DR that has Left Arm Only, Forcefield, and Requires Active Defense.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
For reasons relating to a project I'm doing on this forum, I've come across a need to build shields as advantages. This is tricky.

There are three components to a shield:
1. Shield bashing. This is a Striker, easy.
2. Defense Bonus. I guess I could just give out all the Enhanced Defenses for 30 points, but that doesn't feel quite right for some reason.
3. Blocking. I have no clue where to start. Maybe just say "this blocks instead of parrying," but I'm not sure what the implications of that would be.

Does anyone have advice for my current dilemma?
If it is an ordinary shield that could reasonably be purchased you can leave it as a Perk.

Otherwise (if the character is Captain America) 30 points of Enhanced Defenses with gadget limitations and perhaps the Striking Surface Perk to represent bashing with it (Striker is far too generous). Assume that the option to Block is a feature. Cover DR is accounted for in Gadget Limitations.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
If it is an ordinary shield that could reasonably be purchased you can leave it as a Perk.

Otherwise (if the character is Captain America) 30 points of Enhanced Defenses with gadget limitations and perhaps the Striking Surface Perk to represent bashing with it (Striker is far too generous). Assume that the option to Block is a feature. Cover DR is accounted for in Gadget Limitations.
How is striker too generous? If a weapon you can hold in your hands isn't a gadget-based striker, I don't know what is.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Lia Valenth

I would probably buy DR (Requires Shield skill Roll, -20%* ; Directional: Front Only, -20%), Enhanced Defenses (Front only, -20%), then Striker or Striking Surface as suggested above.

If it is a power that can appear and disappear at will add Switchable, or another limitation to make it limited duration (Costs FP, Maximum Duration, etc). If it is an item granting these use the Gadget modifiers.

*I am not sure what Requires Shield skill roll would be worth. The Active Defense limitation from Powers on DR is -40%, and uses an unmodified DX roll. As that Shield skill is (DX+skill level)/2+3 by default it is quite a bit lower but easier to increase. I could see an argument for it being -20% or -40%. Of course you could just use Active Defense, -40% as well.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Dingle

Does Captain america's ability to block things that would ordinarily be unblockable (e.g. bullets, very powerful attacks, the ground) require upgrading his block score with cosmic?
Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
Does Captain america's ability to block things that would ordinarily be unblockable (e.g. bullets, very powerful attacks, the ground) require upgrading his block score with cosmic?
Captain America really shouldn't have Active Defense limitations- either his shield is in his hands and he's defended, or it's not and he doesn't. This is a DR and Defense Bonuses as an Alternate Ability to an Innate Attack (Thrown Shield) -all made with Gadget Limitations (Can be stolen)

His Shield skill is cinematically high- if there's a bullet coming at him, then his shield is between it and him.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
Captain America really shouldn't have Active Defense limitations- either his shield is in his hands and he's defended, or it's not and he doesn't. This is a DR and Defense Bonuses as an Alternate Ability to an Innate Attack (Thrown Shield) -all made with Gadget Limitations (Can be stolen)

His Shield skill is cinematically high- if there's a bullet coming at him, then his shield is between it and him.
There are quite a two popular ways to build Cap, all of which are valid and many could be combined:
- Direction DR w/gadget limitations. If it comes from that direction the shield will help deflect/block the damage. You can combine this with a limitation (requires DX or shield roll) for a budget version.

- Increased defense bonus (Supers). Regardless of the defense used (often Dodge), it adds to this ability to ignore the attack.

Both of these work well with alternate abilities (Striker/Striking Strength/IA for enhanced punches; IA for throwing; wild card for emergency protection).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
Angle

Take DR with active defense, requires free arm, limited coverage, and Reliable, +5%/level. Have the reliable aply to all active defense rolls, but anytime this makes the difference between a successful defense and a failed defense, you need to check and see if it breaks through the DR to hit the person behind.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, shield, shield power