Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA In Linux

In case there are known issues with any of the system calls GCA might be using in the shield arc picture routines, they are:

For the transparent bit-blitting:
Code:
Public Declare Function BitBlt Lib "gdi32" _
  (ByVal hdcDest As Long, ByVal XDest As Long, _
   ByVal YDest As Long, ByVal nWidth As Long, _
   ByVal nHeight As Long, ByVal hdcSrc As Long, _
   ByVal xSrc As Long, ByVal ySrc As Long, _
   ByVal dwRop As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function CreateBitmap Lib "gdi32" _
  (ByVal nWidth As Long, _
   ByVal nHeight As Long, _
   ByVal nPlanes As Long, _
   ByVal nBitCount As Long, _
   lpBits As Any) As Long

Public Declare Function SetBkColor Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long, ByVal crColor As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function SelectObject Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long, ByVal hObject As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function CreateCompatibleBitmap Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long, ByVal nWidth As Long, ByVal nHeight As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function CreateCompatibleDC Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function DeleteDC Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function DeleteObject Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hObject As Long) As Long
and for filling the hexes:
Code:
Declare Function ExtFloodFill Lib "gdi32" _
   (ByVal hDC As Long, ByVal x As Long, _
   ByVal y As Long, _
   ByVal crColor As Long, _
   ByVal wFillType As Long) As Long
and a few functions from the FreeImage.DLL for sizing and such.

Armin
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #32
tmedwards

I'm having trouble just getting the basic armor diagram/paper-doll (using DrawBodyPartsPicture), which works just fine by all accounts, to not crash on me.

Then again, I'm having a few other issues with Wine anyway. Case in point, I have to run GCA from its directory and via a relative path. If I try to run it via the full path from anywhere else Wine barks about not supporting the i386 architecture. 'Tis strange indeed.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)

Last edited by tmedwards; 01-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #33
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
I'm having trouble just getting the basic armor diagram/paper-doll (using DrawBodyPartsPicture), which works just fine by all accounts, to not crash on me.
OK. Not only have I fixed this on my install, I've fixed the shield arc issue as well. I'm not sure how, mind you, I think it was by installing fonts. I'll do testing to confirm what resolved this later.

The reason I haven't done the "how I fixed the shield arc issue" testing is because that I noticed RTF is broken. So, has anyone noticed RTF elements not printing or is it just my Wine+GCA? For example:
  • All sheets: Character Description & Notes and Campaign Log notes.
  • phoenix.gcs: Footer text, some footnotes text, others.
  • charactersheet.gcs: Reaction modifier labels, others.
No RTF text will print in GCA for me. At best it simply doesn't print, half the time it breaks formatting, at worst it crashes GCA.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #34
Taellosse

Commence thread necromancy!

So this evening it occurred to me it might be nice to be able to run GCA on my desktop without having to reboot into Windows via Bootcamp. Thus, I tried to install it via Crossfire. As others have said in past years, it mostly works ok before updating, but with the most recent program update, GCA will crash just before it finishes loading with a message that says 'modForms BuildSmartBar: Error 30001: Unable to open the picture file "%1"'. So I made my way here to the forums and began to search for a solution. I found this thread, and attempted to follow the instructions of the original poster. Tragically, this merely changes out one crash for another. When I locate the files mentioned and copy them from my Bootcamp partition over to the proper location in my Crossover bottle, I instead get a "Runtime '7' Error: Out of Memory" before the program even begins to load. Replacing only oleaut32.dll leaves me with the same original error, replacing only riched20.dll gives me the runtime error. I also found mention somewhere of a riched32.dll, but replacing that, in any combination with the other two, also doesn't allow GCA to load. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

For what it's worth, I've got Crossover 8.0.1, and it's making a WinXP bottle, but the versions of the files I'm copying from the Bootcamp partition are Win7. I also pulled versions of them from my laptop, which uses XP still, but using those just left me with the original error. Would upgrading to Crossover 10 help by any chance? Or downgrading to an older one? I am not presently using Crossover for anything else, so as long as it works, I don't much care what version I've got (though I'd rather not have to pay for an upgrade if I can help it, of course).

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #35
panton41

I've only ever tested it with the official version of Wine on Linux (as recently as last night) and the directions here still work fine.

As for Wine on Macintosh I have no idea. Despite there being an official BSD port of Wine Mac is kind of the "redheaded stepchild" of BSD and doesn't have an official version. (Though there are unofficial versions and it's supposed to build cleanly if you do it from scratch.)

I'm not sure what version of Wine Crossover 8.1 is built off of, but considering the latest version is 10.0 it's safe to say it's older enough and Wine development is active enough that it's probably not worth using given the free version has matured so much.

(For that matter Cedega is doing poorly because of terrible customer support, a non-existant release cycle and that it offers no benefits over the mainline Wine.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #36
ClayDowling

This may sound silly, but is there any reason people aren't just using Virtual Box to run GCA on Linux or Mac? That seems like a lot less trouble.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #37
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
This may sound silly, but is there any reason people aren't just using Virtual Box to run GCA on Linux or Mac? That seems like a lot less trouble.
I've done both, and on WinE, GCA runs much faster, and I don't have to mess with pseudo-network drives to get the shared directories to work. Also, I prefer to use the Windows license on another machine.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #38
panton41

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I've done both, and on WinE, GCA runs much faster, and I don't have to mess with pseudo-network drives to get the shared directories to work. Also, I prefer to use the Windows license on another machine.
It's not just faster, but less overhead overall. Even if you're just running Windows XP in the VM you have all the overheard of Linux or Mac AND the overhead of VirtualBox (or whatever the VM is) AND Windows.

Wine runs pretty well these days, especially for something as simple as GCA. Heck, I've seen a few higher end games play faster on Wine than an actual copy of Windows.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #39
csm

Quote:
Well, for those of us who are not willing to shell out money for yet-another-OS, this is pretty much a non-starter. I'd rather send my money to someone working on Wine or a Linux native product than to send it to Microsoft to keep business as usual.

Just my $.02. :)
csm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #40
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I've only ever tested it with the official version of Wine on Linux (as recently as last night) and the directions here still work fine.
I am a Linux Nooblet with a shiny new machine and Ubuntu 10.10 - how do I identify "the official version of Wine on Linux"? :)

I'm very interested in getting GCA working on the shiny new machine, as it has MUCH better everything than my old windows machine does, and GCA is one of the last things still tethering me to the windows environment.

The others are going to take a lot more work to shift to Wine unfortunately, but if I get the easy one moved over at least I'll have made some progress ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux