Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Athanbeli

Default [Grappling] Forcing someone to drink something

As per thread title, how would you apply the grappling routines no just to takedown or pin your opponent, but to force him to drink something?
While that is the action I'm currently guessing about (4 of my players might try that on anolther PC, during tonight's game) I'm also wondering about so many other actions one might be vehemently forced to: looking in a given direction, shooting, etc.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Mateus

Default Re: [Grappling] Forcing someone to drink something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanbeli View Post
As per thread title, how would you apply the grappling routines no just to takedown or pin your opponent, but to force him to drink something?
While that is the action I'm currently guessing about (4 of my players might try that on anolther PC, during tonight's game) I'm also wondering about so many other actions one might be vehemently forced to: looking in a given direction, shooting, etc.
I know that in the Pyramid #3-34 - Alternate GURPS there a alternative rule about grapling that has "body parts control" techniques.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
You can also adapt the Quick Contest from Shoving People Around in Martial Arts for the purpose, though I'd make it a contest of ST-based skill using that rule-set for the attacker, but ST OR DX for the defender. Ken's rules blend ST and DX and may be quite applicable to this particular situation.

I'd apply the striking hit location penalty (-5 for the face, maybe -7 for the mouth?) to the attacker. If you win the contest, you've got the potion/whatever under your control. If you win by 5-6, it's right near his face; if you win by 7+, it's right on his mouth.

yes, that's very hard. You'll want to see if you can arrange it so he can only resist with one arm (put the other one in a lock, or grapple it) so he's rolling at half ST or something.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You can also adapt the Quick Contest from Shoving People Around in Martial Arts for the purpose, though I'd make it a contest of ST-based skill using that rule-set for the attacker, but ST OR DX for the defender. Ken's rules blend ST and DX and may be quite applicable to this particular situation.

I'd apply the striking hit location penalty (-5 for the face, maybe -7 for the mouth?) to the attacker. If you win the contest, you've got the potion/whatever under your control. If you win by 5-6, it's right near his face; if you win by 7+, it's right on his mouth.

yes, that's very hard. You'll want to see if you can arrange it so he can only resist with one arm (put the other one in a lock, or grapple it) so he's rolling at half ST or something.
I think you're on the right track, though I'd do this with at least two assailants. Have one achieve a Pin, through whatever means. Then roll a Regular Contest between between the pourer's DX or skill vs. ST or DX for the drinker. (I like a Regular Contest here better than a Quick Contest on the assumption that you don't start pouring the drink down the target's throat until you've already gained control of his nose and mouth. I like the -7 modifier for having to force the mouth open, holding the nose shut, and forcing the drink in. If the assailants have a third person who can hold the drinker's head and nose while the pourer pours, that might be good for a +4 bonus. A Critical Failure on the pourer's roll results in spilling the drink all over while not getting any into the drinker.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Athanbeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I think you're on the right track, though I'd do this with at least two assailants.
Yes, I think this might be my case, quite likely.

Thanks to all of you, so far.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
kenclary

Quote:
This should be very hard. (It may also be somewhat cinematic; force-feeding generally involves tubes and things.)

Mechanics aside, you'd need to control the head (to tilt it back), the jaw (to open it), and the drink (to pour it). The victim might try to stop any of the grapples, control the pouring arm to stop it, swat the drink out of your hand, etc.

The Alternate Grappling article could be used for any of the above actions, though grappling the jaw should be tougher than just grabbing the head (lets say -3 to grab from the front, as Jaw is a -6 hit location in Martial Arts). Forcing the jaw open should be a pretty straightforward application of Control Jaw once you've got the grip (and I'd let you use Control Head to tilt it back at only -1 from that grip alone). I'm not sure what penalty I'd give to trying to force them to swallow, without "proper" equipment or torture-like persuasion. (If someone ever writes GURPS Torture, I'm sure this topic could generate a good couple paragraphs.)

This probably counts as a difficult task for just one person, even if the victim is already tied up. If you have 4 PCs trying it on a 5th, I suggest having 2 hold him down/still, 1 grapple the head and jaw, and 1 do the forcing.

Last edited by kenclary; 02-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Proteus

Wow, so how many points is Prince Hamlet built on? Or do the stage directions leave out Horatio helping him with King Claudius?

:)
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Allenwpax

An alternate approach, probably best for use on an NPC would be to apply arm lock for pain rather than damage to force compliance. See MA page 119.

Allen
Allenwpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwpax View Post
An alternate approach, probably best for use on an NPC would be to apply arm lock for pain rather than damage to force compliance. See MA page 119.

Allen
This could be applied to the QC...
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Wow, so how many points is Prince Hamlet built on? Or do the stage directions leave out Horatio helping him with King Claudius?

:)
Different situation. An Intimidation roll, helped by generous bonuses: Claudius's distraught emotional state (the result of a failed Fright Check, probably), the threat of ignominy and ruin, and the promise of a more painful death on Hamlet's sword anyway if he doesn't drink the poison.

Hamlet's making a social Influence roll to make Claudius drink the poison himself. This thread seems to be about forcing him to drink it, even when he's exerting all his physical power to avoid it.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forcefeeding