Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #21
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Only Kind of Unkillable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For the actual race in question, I think the Metatrait is going to be Unkillable 1 (Mortal -40%, Aftermath* -40%) [10] + Doesn't Breathe (Only While Dead -40%, Total Unhealing -30%) [6] + Doesn't Eat or Drink (Only While Dead -40%) [6], for a total cost of [22].
Unkillable 1 doesn't allow you to come back from "death." For that, you need Unkillable 2, with Mortal (-40%) being a good way to say you die, and then you get better, unless somebody burns the body down to -10x HP. Only adds 10 points to the build.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Unkillable 1 doesn't allow you to come back from "death." For that, you need Unkillable 2, with Mortal (-40%) being a good way to say you die, and then you get better, unless somebody burns the body down to -10x HP. Only adds 10 points to the build.
Mortal on Unkillable 2 and 3 is actually only -20%, and unofficial (it's on PK's MyGURPS page). Unkillable 2 (Mortal) means once your body reaches -10xHP, it stops taking damage outright, and once the source of damage is gone, you start to regenerate normally until you're alive again.

That said, with the fact that I'm not letting my Unkillable 1 variant get Doesn't Breathe and Doesn't Eat/Drink (both modified with Only While Dead -40%) for free, but Unkillable 2 should probably get them, basing it off Unkillable 2 might actually be a better idea. Aftermath (-46.5%), Mortal (-20%), and Hindrance: Anoxic Conditions (Rare, -5%) are together worth -71.5%, for a cost of [29] - only [7] more than my proposed Metatrait. If I toss on another -8.5% of Limitations, it's actually cheaper! Being able to destroy the body in a certain way might be enough to justify that. So, I could have the creatures die normally, require oxygen to recover, and suffer from Resurrection Sickness upon awakening. As I want actual death to be a possibility, if the body is actually consumed (defined as taking 10xHP in damage from fire, acid, and/or being eaten*), the character is permanently (barring magical resurrection, if available) dead. End cost would be [20], [2] less than my proposed Metatrait.

*Having this as an Achilles Heel would probably be worth -60% or more (it's two Common types of damage - Fire and Acid - and whatever being eaten would count as; note a Common Achilles Heel is -50%), so having it as a lesser Achilles Heel worth -8.5% doesn't seem terribly inappropriate.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Being consumed involves stomach acid, so, still acids. And anoxic conditions aren't entirely rare...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Being consumed involves stomach acid, so, still acids. And anoxic conditions aren't entirely rare...
I'm allowing here for consumption by things without stomach acid, like zombies, and allowing the cutting/crushing damage creatures deal in the process of eating to count directly toward the 10xHP limit; the "consumption" is somewhat symbolic. You're probably right that anoxic conditions should count as more than Rare, but then we're already at the -80% cap with the character being impossible (outside of Cosmic effects and similar) to actually be permanently killed. I may want to lessen the Aftermath or simply drop the cost of the trait to [15] or so.

Last edited by Varyon; 06-02-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I'm allowing here for consumption by things without stomach acid, like zombies...
That's a big zombie.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #26
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's a big zombie.
It basically just works out as "If you die in the middle of a horde of meat-eating monsters, or in an area with a lot of scavengers, or are swallowed by a dragon, and your friends don't recover your body quickly, you'll be permanently dead due to being eaten."
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
It basically just works out as "If you die in the middle of a horde of meat-eating monsters, or in an area with a lot of scavengers, or are swallowed by a dragon, and your friends don't recover your body quickly, you'll be permanently dead due to being eaten."
In the end that boils down to "If your body isn't mostly intact you can't come back." Which is Unkillable 1
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That's a big zombie.
are you telling me that you've never enlarged toad corpses to a half ton and then animated them? It's s neat trick.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In the end that boils down to "If your body isn't mostly intact you can't come back." Which is Unkillable 1
In this case, you can be shot, skewered, strangled, bisected, eviscerated, decapitated, bludgeoned, exsanguinated, starved, drowned, and so forth well beyond the point of death, but so long as someone protects your corpse from being burned to a crisp, dissolved in acid, or eaten by scavengers (or you get lucky and die somewhere where there aren't many scavengers of note), you'll eventually come back. Unkillable 1 allows you to permanently die from any of the things I've listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
are you telling me that you've never enlarged toad corpses to a half ton and then animated them? It's s neat trick.
I'll have to remember not to show up at any parties you happen to be at.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
In this case, you can be shot, skewered, strangled, bisected, eviscerated, decapitated, bludgeoned, exsanguinated, starved, drowned, and so forth well beyond the point of death, but so long as someone protects your corpse from being burned to a crisp, dissolved in acid, or eaten by scavengers (or you get lucky and die somewhere where there aren't many scavengers of note), you'll eventually come back. Unkillable 1 allows you to permanently die from any of the things I've listed.

I'll have to remember not to show up at any parties you happen to be at.

"The point of death" is 5xHt 10x HT is the point as which there is no longer a corpse to be preserved.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forcefeeding