Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Humabout

Default A Sample Corruption System That Includes RPM

This is just a rough (not even really a first) draft based around the Many Roads to Hell corruption system in GURPS Horror that works RPM into it. It's pretty harsh and is intended for use with the idea that magic is barely-bottled Chaos, an that demons are entities of chaos seeking to unravel our world into their own entropic playground. Corruption is the effect of Chaos warping, mutating, and eating your soul.

Accessing Magic
Magic is, at its core, the attempt to channel the chaotic energies of the Hell, shape it, and release it in a barely-controlled form to alter the world in a predictable way. This requires the caster to possess skill in Thaumatology, the working knowledge of shaping magic. While any ritual casting causes some Corruption, the cost to one's soul drastically increases when the caster slips up during the process.
  • Casting any magic ritual adds 1 point of Corruption per 10 energy in the ritual (minimum 1 point).
  • Failure on any energy accumulation or casting roll adds 1 point of Corruption.
  • Critical failure at any point adds 1 point of Corruption for every point of energy accumulated thus far, in addition to the usual effects of a critical failure.
In addition to the Corruption costs above, Hell offers other gifts to those who embrace its dark purpose. Any caster can instantly gain any amount of energy to power a ritual without making any rolls, but this adds 1 point of Corruption per 2 energy gathered this way. Casting a spell as though one has Magery 0 adds 1 point of Corruption; casting it as though one has Ritual Adept adds 10 points of Corruption. Increasing one's skill level caps for the purposes of casting one ritual adds 1 point of Corruption per +5 to that cap.

Other Ways to Gain Corruption
These are in addition to the ones that already exist in the Many Roads to Hell.
  • Derangement: This is omitted as a source of Corruption. If anything, Derangement could be a result of Corruption.
  • Learning Hidden Lore: This applies only to specialties like Corruption, Demonology, Magic Items, Magical Writings, Undead, etc.
  • Using Charms and Elixirs: Using Charms and Elixirs adds Corruption equal to 20% of the energy points needed to cast the equivalent ritual on oneself.

I'll work up any other changes that come to mind. I'm also considering a Corruption power modifier, but I'm still unsure just how to work it. I want the requirement to be that you are Corrupted, not that using the powers necessarily corrupts you (e.g., it could be used to represent physical mutations like Extra Arm, Flexible Arms, 360 Vision, Body of Slime, etc), but only so long as you're a rather chaotic, Corrupt soul. What trips me up here is that while Corruption points are equated to CP, they come and get turned into disadvantages, which should, themselves, also count toward meeting this power modifier's requirements. I can't tell if "-10 CP in Corruption points or nasty disadvantages" is really a good requirement.

Any thoughts, comments, or criticisms?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: A Sample Corruption System That Includes RPM

Would it not be unreasonable for somebody to make a Will roll at some penalty based on their current Corruption, in an attempt to make the changes to their body/mind become useful in some way? Anything less than a critical success would still come with some social disadvantages, but it's canon for more than one magical setting.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Humabout

I would stat that out as a form of Modular Ability with a Nuisance Effect and whatever Power Modifier I eventually mash out for this. What you bring up is the very reason I'm considering a Corruption PM to be added to either a Corruption power or just other general powers (like Body Alteration or the like). Using a Will roll sounds interesting for this. I'll take it into consideration. I'm largely in the "Gathering Lots of Ideas and Weeding Out What Doesn't Fit" phase. I think I've got the RPM bit settled, though.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 10-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
This is just a rough (not even really a first) draft based around the Many Roads to Hell corruption system in GURPS Horror that works RPM into it. It's pretty harsh and is intended for use with the idea that magic is barely-bottled Chaos, an that demons are entities of chaos seeking to unravel our world into their own entropic playground. Corruption is the effect of Chaos warping, mutating, and eating your soul.
Okay. Taking that into account. Here are my thoughts.

Quote:
Accessing Magic
Magic is, at its core, the attempt to channel the chaotic energies of the Hell, shape it, and release it in a barely-controlled form to alter the world in a predictable way. This requires the caster to possess skill in Thaumatology, the working knowledge of shaping magic. While any ritual casting causes some Corruption, the cost to one's soul drastically increases when the caster slips up during the process.
  • Casting any magic ritual adds 1 point of Corruption per 10 energy in the ritual (minimum 1 point).
  • Failure on any energy accumulation or casting roll adds 1 point of Corruption.
  • Critical failure at any point adds 1 point of Corruption for every point of energy accumulated thus far, in addition to the usual effects of a critical failure.
  • I would increase this to every 20 energy, personally.
  • That works.
  • I'd use half the margin, not the full margin or all caster's are going to be too crazy to pass their skills on.

Quote:
In addition to the Corruption costs above, Hell offers other gifts to those who embrace its dark purpose. Any caster can instantly gain any amount of energy to power a ritual without making any rolls, but this adds 1 point of Corruption per 2 energy gathered this way. Casting a spell as though one has Magery 0 adds 1 point of Corruption; casting it as though one has Ritual Adept adds 10 points of Corruption. Increasing one's skill level caps for the purposes of casting one ritual adds 1 point of Corruption per +5 to that cap.
Mmm, that's too bad a deal. Maybe a 3 or 5 (I use a multiple of 5 for my gameS).

Ritual Adept should add 8 points unless you're inflicting extra harshness.

I don't understand the last part. Increase the cap, but not the skill? How about each +1 to skill is 1 Corruption point.

Quote:
Other Ways to Gain Corruption
These are in addition to the ones that already exist in the Many Roads to Hell.
  • Derangement: This is omitted as a source of Corruption. If anything, Derangement could be a result of Corruption.
  • Learning Hidden Lore: This applies only to specialties like Corruption, Demonology, Magic Items, Magical Writings, Undead, etc.
  • Using Charms and Elixirs: Using Charms and Elixirs adds Corruption equal to 20% of the energy points needed to cast the equivalent ritual on oneself.
  • Okay. Makes sense
  • Ditto.
  • Hmmm. Still sort of harsh. I'll think on it and see if anything pops loose.

Quote:
I'll work up any other changes that come to mind. I'm also considering a Corruption power modifier, but I'm still unsure just how to work it. I want the requirement to be that you are Corrupted, not that using the powers necessarily corrupts you (e.g., it could be used to represent physical mutations like Extra Arm, Flexible Arms, 360 Vision, Body of Slime, etc), but only so long as you're a rather chaotic, Corrupt soul. What trips me up here is that while Corruption points are equated to CP, they come and get turned into disadvantages, which should, themselves, also count toward meeting this power modifier's requirements. I can't tell if "-10 CP in Corruption points or nasty disadvantages" is really a good requirement.
It could be. How about a permanent reaction penalty for those with Corruption power modifier traits? Having to make a Will roll every time you give into a "dark" trait would be a -5% effect at most. What are you looking for specifically?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Okay. Taking that into account. Here are my thoughts.
  • I would increase this to every 20 energy, personally.
  • That works.
  • I'd use half the margin, not the full margin or all caster's are going to be too crazy to pass their skills on.
  • That could be fair. I want this to be kind of harsh, but something someone wanting to RP out the downward spiral to be willing to use without getting completely hosed in the process. Generally, relying on magic should be pretty dangerous.
  • Cool!
  • Again, I was going for harshness, but I can see where it would prohibit archmages in general. I definitely see mages as a rather quirky, eccentric, and often quite mad bunch, though.

Quote:
Mmm, that's too bad a deal. Maybe a 3 or 5 (I use a multiple of 5 for my gameS).
I derived this from the cost of slapping Corrupting on Energy Reserve and rounding: ER 2 (Corrupting, -20%) [1.2] ~> [1]. Do your players go for corrupting energy a lot? What sort of feel do you get with a 5 to 1 exchange?

Quote:
Ritual Adept should add 8 points unless you're inflicting extra harshness.
I'm being extra harsh. And I'm a horrible pentiphile.

Quote:
I don't understand the last part. Increase the cap, but not the skill? How about each +1 to skill is 1 Corruption point.
I'll admit that one is kind of wonky. I was looking at the 1-point perk that makes up the non-ER part of Margery 1+, and figured five levels with Corrupting would give you a 1 Corruption point boon. Giving it more thought, I can see where few people would buy up skill beyond their cap just to get corrupted when they try to access it.

Quote:
  • Okay. Makes sense
  • Ditto.
  • Hmmm. Still sort of harsh. I'll think on it and see if anything pops loose.
  • Yay!
  • Ditto.
  • This was one I was on the fence about a little. I feel like someone using a charm/elixir made by someone else should get some Corruption, but I would probably have issues with a caster getting nailed twice for what he could otherwise just do once (then again, there are major benefits to charms and elixirs). Perhaps the creator gets x% of the Corruption and the user gets 1-x%? That way both parties share in the Corruption, but the creator doesn't get abnormally hosed for using his own charms and elixirs. I'm still eyeballing either 10% or 20% for the end user's portion (so 90% or 80% for the creator's share).

Quote:
It could be. How about a permanent reaction penalty for those with Corruption power modifier traits? Having to make a Will roll every time you give into a "dark" trait would be a -5% effect at most. What are you looking for specifically?
I want the person with the power to have to be Corrupted by the powers of Hell - be it in actual Corruption or having already converted those CP . . . argh! another CP abbreviation! . . . Corruption Points into additional or altered disadvantages. Reaction penalties and such should - in my mind - stem from the effects of you getting Corrupted, not from the corruption itself. Certainly having a vestigial arm growing out of your ribcage would justify a reaction penalty, either as an actual disadvantage or as a Temporary Disadvantage tacked onto Extra Arm, though. But not every conceivable mutation would be that horrifically apparent - frex, if your mutation gave you telekinetic powers. So what I'm after is a PM that generally represents having been tainted by Corruption to the point of having your point total reduced for being kind of mad/evil. Choose your madness/evilness how you see fit. And if you ever shed your Corruption, you lose your powers immediately and cannot restore them until you are sufficiently Corrupt again.

Lastly, I forgot to add a modification for Using Cursed Artifacts: Using it to power or cause a supernatural effect adds Corruption equal to [conversion rate of Corruption to energy] the energy points needed to cast the equivalent ritual. Essentially, you get Corruption as if you cast that ritual fueled purely by using Corruption instead of gathering energy normally. I will reword this normally when I am more convinced of an exchange rate.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
  • That could be fair. I want this to be kind of harsh, but something someone wanting to RP out the downward spiral to be willing to use without getting completely hosed in the process. Generally, relying on magic should be pretty dangerous.
  • Cool!
  • Again, I was going for harshness, but I can see where it would prohibit archmages in general. I definitely see mages as a rather quirky, eccentric, and often quite mad bunch, though.
Okay. But remember that if its too harsh it will never be used. I learned this lesson when running Star Wars d20 with a party of Jedi. The PC would rather suck at something that use the Dark Side, even when appropriate. Keep this in mind. They're is such a thing as too harsh, even for systems that are supposed to be.

Quote:
I derived this from the cost of slapping Corrupting on Energy Reserve and rounding: ER 2 (Corrupting, -20%) [1.2] ~> [1]. Do your players go for corrupting energy a lot? What sort of feel do you get with a 5 to 1 exchange?
Pure practical experience. Over a thousand hours of running games with ritual path magic will do that. Most of the values from other sources need to use about a x5 multiplier to get about right for ritual path magic energy. This is a underlying assumption to just about all of my work for RPM. I'm not saying you have to use it, but it is hard won experience. Trying to equate RPM energy to FP is sort of pointless. The sacrifice rules using 3 FP to 1 energy is a bad deal because metabolic energy isn't as "pure" as magical energy.

Quote:
I'm being extra harsh. And I'm a horrible pentiphile.
Okay.

Quote:
I'll admit that one is kind of wonky. I was looking at the 1-point perk that makes up the non-ER part of Margery 1+, and figured five levels with Corrupting would give you a 1 Corruption point boon. Giving it more thought, I can see where few people would buy up skill beyond their cap just to get corrupted when they try to access it.
It's exactly what happened when I tried it for my games, trust me +1 skill/per point is fair.

Quote:
  • Yay!
  • Ditto.
  • This was one I was on the fence about a little. I feel like someone using a charm/elixir made by someone else should get some Corruption, but I would probably have issues with a caster getting nailed twice for what he could otherwise just do once (then again, there are major benefits to charms and elixirs). Perhaps the creator gets x% of the Corruption and the user gets 1-x%? That way both parties share in the Corruption, but the creator doesn't get abnormally hosed for using his own charms and elixirs. I'm still eyeballing either 10% or 20% for the end user's portion (so 90% or 80% for the creator's share).
Just make it so the caster gets the Corruption, but can foist if off completely on the charm/potion. This way you have a economy for non-corrupting potions/charms and the maker is eventually going to go mad. Think of it as magical sin-eating, but in reverse.

Quote:
I want the person with the power to have to be Corrupted by the powers of Hell - be it in actual Corruption or having already converted those CP . . . argh! another CP abbreviation! . . . Corruption Points into additional or altered disadvantages. Reaction penalties and such should - in my mind - stem from the effects of you getting Corrupted, not from the corruption itself. Certainly having a vestigial arm growing out of your ribcage would justify a reaction penalty, either as an actual disadvantage or as a Temporary Disadvantage tacked onto Extra Arm, though. But not every conceivable mutation would be that horrifically apparent - frex, if your mutation gave you telekinetic powers. So what I'm after is a PM that generally represents having been tainted by Corruption to the point of having your point total reduced for being kind of mad/evil. Choose your madness/evilness how you see fit. And if you ever shed your Corruption, you lose your powers immediately and cannot restore them until you are sufficiently Corrupt again.
Sounds like required disadvantages then, just make them pick from a list.

Quote:
Lastly, I forgot to add a modification for Using Cursed Artifacts: Using it to power or cause a supernatural effect adds Corruption equal to [conversion rate of Corruption to energy] the energy points needed to cast the equivalent ritual. Essentially, you get Corruption as if you cast that ritual fueled purely by using Corruption instead of gathering energy normally. I will reword this normally when I am more convinced of an exchange rate.
Then just treat the Corruption gained as if you cast the spell yourself. Easy-Peasy.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Here's an important one: How can somebody dump their corruption? By using the methods in GURPS Horror, or some fancier methods?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Humabout

Quote:
Okay. But remember that if its too harsh it will never be used. I learned this lesson when running Star Wars d20 with a party of Jedi. The PC would rather suck at something that use the Dark Side, even when appropriate. Keep this in mind. They're is such a thing as too harsh, even for systems that are supposed to be.
You've got a point for sure. I'm going to tinker with PK's roller a bit and get a better feel for just how harsh this is. The easy way needs to at least be an option on the table when PCs get desperate. I would just prefer players don't immediately want to play Black Mage, but still see dipping in that power pool as tempting in limited situations.

Quote:
Most of the values from other sources need to use about a x5 multiplier to get about right for ritual path magic energy. This is a underlying assumption to just about all of my work for RPM.
This is great to know! I was actually trying to find the time to do a cost comparison between RPM and Spells for mashing out a non-advantage-based enchantment system.

Quote:
It's exactly what happened when I tried it for my games, trust me +1 skill/per point is fair.
That sounds pretty reasonable, and a LOT less weird than just raising the skill cap.

Quote:
Just make it so the caster gets the Corruption, but can foist if off completely on the charm/potion. This way you have a economy for non-corrupting potions/charms and the maker is eventually going to go mad. Think of it as magical sin-eating, but in reverse.
I like this. It maintains the economy, but it also lets the caster delay the Corruption, and leaves some nasty surprises for any particularly naive thieves.

Quote:
Sounds like required disadvantages then, just make them pick from a list.
That's where I was leaning, but just hadn't really seen where a long list was ever used in supplements. I wasn't sure if the flexibility was too generous.

Quote:
Then just treat the Corruption gained as if you cast the spell yourself. Easy-Peasy.
That's the intent!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Here's an important one: How can somebody dump their corruption? By using the methods in GURPS Horror, or some fancier methods?
Those work...for now. ;-)

Quote:
You've got a point for sure. I'm going to tinker with PK's roller a bit and get a better feel for just how harsh this is. The easy way needs to at least be an option on the table when PCs get desperate. I would just prefer players don't immediately want to play Black Mage, but still see dipping in that power pool as tempting in limited situations.
That's the whole point of the Corruption system, you want them to wrestle with NOT doing it. Just take the PCs aside and make sure they know that's what you want.

Quote:
This is great to know! I was actually trying to find the time to do a cost comparison between RPM and Spells for mashing out a non-advantage-based enchantment system.
It doesn't always correlate and the number is more like 4.6 (don't ask), but 5 just feels better. As for the enchantment system, I've got something in the works, multiple somethings. So keep a weather-eye on the horizon.

Quote:
That sounds pretty reasonable, and a LOT less weird than just raising the skill cap.
Bingo! It's a effective skill bonus, like the bonus from Higher Purpose. It puts you over the cap and adds to the skill.

Quote:
I like this. It maintains the economy, but it also lets the caster delay the Corruption, and leaves some nasty surprises for any particularly naive thieves.
You're welcome. :-)

Quote:
That's where I was leaning, but just hadn't really seen where a long list was ever used in supplements. I wasn't sure if the flexibility was too generous.
Nah. It works just fine. It's what I'd do.

Quote:
That's the intent!
Then you are good.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Those work...for now. ;-)
I wonder how hard it would be to channel all of your corruption into some form of potion or trinket, with a condition that another person must willingly take it within, say 24 hours. Failure naturally causes even worse things for you than the original corruption would have done!